Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 6,445, Level: 23
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    ISU22CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    369
    Points
    6,445
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Web design using WordPress help

    So I'm working on a small project for an online business course and the project is to create a functional website for my business: Having pics, videos, blog, contact info etc but simple. However I'm confused as all get out with all the different themes that wordpress offers. I have a domain registered, have hosting and have installed wordpress for my site, now it is a matter of figuring out how to design it the way I have in visioned. If anyone is familiar with web design using wordpress and could lend some pointers that would be awesome! I'm keeping it simple, (KISS) since I'm new to world of websites. can just shoot me a PM or message here. Thanks



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 857,335, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,091
    Points
    857,335
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,310
    Given: 1,137

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    A friend designed it for me, so I don't have a lot of background in that.

    They have excellent support forums that can deal with about anything.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 6,445, Level: 23
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    ISU22CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    369
    Points
    6,445
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    Thanks. Wordpress forums are really nice however they get overloaded with questions it seems and majority just get passed over.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,344, Level: 82
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,106
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,297
    Points
    70,344
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 627

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    Irony. I have spent the last 3 nights trying to update my racing site. I can't get my logo to appear it is just a broken link. I blame it on having to use publisher because I never had this issue with Frontpage. My hard drive crashed and Frontpage didn't get loaded back on and now I found out they discontinued it for Publisher. UGH.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 431,779, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,794
    Points
    431,779
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 15

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    Irony. I have spent the last 3 nights trying to update my racing site. I can't get my logo to appear it is just a broken link. I blame it on having to use publisher because I never had this issue with Frontpage. My hard drive crashed and Frontpage didn't get loaded back on and now I found out they discontinued it for Publisher. UGH.
    Is the picture hosted on the web server with the link pointing to the file correctly?



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,344, Level: 82
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,106
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,297
    Points
    70,344
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 627

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Is the picture hosted on the web server with the link pointing to the file correctly?
    Holy crap. I spent all the last two nights trying to get it to work and just now when I went to the site to copy the link for you it is working. I am so happy!!!! lol



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 431,779, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,794
    Points
    431,779
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 15

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    Holy crap. I spent all the last two nights trying to get it to work and just now when I went to the site to copy the link for you it is working. I am so happy!!!! lol
    I checked the site quick and didn't see anything wrong so that's why I was wondering.

    If you weren't hitting "refresh" on your browser it may have been bringing up an old cache of the website with a broken link.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,344, Level: 82
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,106
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,297
    Points
    70,344
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 627

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I checked the site quick and didn't see anything wrong so that's why I was wondering.

    If you weren't hitting "refresh" on your browser it may have been bringing up an old cache of the website with a broken link.
    That might have been it. It was just slow loading up.

    Between the BB loss and not getting my site to work last night I was getting really ******. lol



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 450,854, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,588
    Points
    450,854
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 27

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    PM me with direct questions. I have 30+ wordpress sites in my group at work. I know way too much about that crappy system.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 6,445, Level: 23
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    ISU22CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    369
    Points
    6,445
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    PM me with direct questions. I have 30+ wordpress sites in my group at work. I know way too much about that crappy system.
    I dont know if i should be happy or worried!!! Thank you PM sent



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 57,500, Level: 74
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kilgore_trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,149
    Points
    57,500
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 413

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    So you want us to do your homework? Why don't you ask your online school for help?


    Quote Originally Posted by ISU22CY View Post
    So I'm working on a small project for an online business course and the project is to create a functional website for my business: Having pics, videos, blog, contact info etc but simple. However I'm confused as all get out with all the different themes that wordpress offers. I have a domain registered, have hosting and have installed wordpress for my site, now it is a matter of figuring out how to design it the way I have in visioned. If anyone is familiar with web design using wordpress and could lend some pointers that would be awesome! I'm keeping it simple, (KISS) since I'm new to world of websites. can just shoot me a PM or message here. Thanks


    I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 728,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,073
    Points
    728,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,081
    Given: 575

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    Wordpress is pretty easy. You can do whatever and preview any change before you lock it in.



  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 6,445, Level: 23
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    ISU22CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    369
    Points
    6,445
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: Web design using WordPress help

    Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    So you want us to do your homework? Why don't you ask your online school for help?
    Actually no I asked about wordpress themes and wondering from people that are familiar with wordpress which one they could suggest for the direction I am wanting to go but thanks for the great contribution to the topic...


    Last edited by ISU22CY; 03-05-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM