Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Alright Blum....

As the resident Cyclone Fanatic supervisor of officials, I need to get your opinion. There was a 2-3 minute stretch in last nights game where one official was involved in three plays that ultimately led to Baylor's Brady Heslip scoring 9 points during the last minute of the 1st half and the first couple of minutes of the second half. I personally felt this stretch was critical in the outcome of last nights game.

1) This play involved Edozie closing out late on Heslip on a missed three. 1st) The official didn't blow his whistle until the ball was off the rim. If you agreed that there was a foul should he have been awarded a shooting foul, or should it have been a foul on the floor?

Edozie lands left of the shooter and is clearly planted before Heslip decides to Marcus Smart himself to the ground. Was he indeed fouled on the shot? Was there enough grey area there to warrant a call?

2) At the beginning of the second half, the same official is positioned on the baseline and Baylor is running Heslip off a couple of screens to get him open for a three point shot. First, Baylor's Royce O' Neale runs across the lane to chip Monte Morris which creates initial seperation between Heslip and Morris. Then as Morris trails on the baseline. Austin slides a couple of feet sides ways and hips Morris which gives Heslip enough separation to make a three point shot. The same official as the first play is positioned three feet from where Austin slides down and hips Morris. The replay showed him positioned to clearly see this happen. Was that a moving screen? Was it acceptable for the official to miss that call? Keep in mind that we are talking about a lanky 7 footer that is a few feet in front of the official.

3) Only a few moments later in the same area on the court Baylor again runs Heslip off a screen and Austin again slides sideways to impede Morris and Heslip gets enough separation to hit another three. Should that have been called a moving screen, and if so is it excusable for a big twelve official to miss back to back moving screens or am I being to critical?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 427

Re: Alright Blum....

I'd like to add that on a breakaway lay-up attempt by Kane, it looked to me like he got fouled as he left the ground to shoot, but they called it on the floor. Opinion?

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 751

Im not Blum, but the moving screen is like holding in football it seems. Happens more often than not (Georges is no stranger), but is a judgement foul as opposed to a clear cut kind of foul (although by definition it should be clear cut).

As far as the Heslip 3 that he was fouled on. I have no idea. I would think he is still in the act of shooting (although it didn't really alter the shot in any way), it is considered a shooting foul.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 751

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    I'd like to add that on a breakaway lay-up attempt by Kane, it looked to me like he got fouled as he left the ground to shoot, but they called it on the floor. Opinion?
    I think the refs last night knew how disappointed our fans and Fred were in our FT shooting, so they did their best to not have to put us through that.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 220

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walton
    Think Oscar Wilde when he said, "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." But also think Neil Young: the fork in the road, light a candle. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle for where we're going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I'm inspired. I don't know when I'll ever sleep again.

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,174
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 54

Missing 3 calls all game is pretty good!

This is a really good post and I actually agree with all of these criticisms.

1. Fouls on a three point attempt are some of the hardest to see due to positioning. One official should be watching the shooter at all times, but human nature sometimes makes the official ball-watch and out of the corner of the eye they see contact and call a foul. It didn't appear to be much of a foul.

2/3. Baylor did appear to be setting very loose screens. They were getting away with it all night. In a perfect world, they would have been whistled for fouls, but last night the officials were allowing a lot of contact. There were only 26! fouls called all game, which is extremely low. The nickle and dime stuff was not getting called and that's how it goes I guess.

Valid points and they did impact the game. I don't think they were egregious errors that are inexcusable though. On the other hand, Melvin and Georges going 5-26 may be inexcusable.

Last edited by brentblum; 03-05-2014 at 07:57 AM.
    Twitter.com/brentblum

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post

1. Fouls on a three point attempt are some of the hardest to see due to positioning. One official should be watching the shooter at all times, but human nature sometimes makes the official ball-watch and out of the corner of the eye they see contact and call a foul. It didn't appear to be much of a foul.

2/3. Baylor did appear to be setting very loose screens. They were getting away with it all night. In a perfect world, they would have been whistled for fouls, but last night the officials were allowing a lot of contact. There were only 26! fouls called all game, which is extremely low. The nickle and dime stuff was not getting called and that's how it goes I guess.

Valid points and they did impact the game. I don't think they were egregious errors that are inexcusable though. On the other hand, Melvin and Georges going 5-26 may be inexcusable.

Thanks for your insight.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 265

Anyone else notice that Issiah Austin set 2 moving screens on Morris when Heslip hit 2 of his 3s?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post

Do you think as conference play has progressed, that the "rules of emphasis" to begin the year like the hand-checking or impeding progress rules have regressed and no longer being called consistently? I think we need to replace Mr. Curtis Shaw as Big 12 coordinator of officials with Mr. Blum.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

And I will clarify, in no way do I think the officials lost us the game last night. It was just a poor effort and not being ready to play on our end.

Legend
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

Blum: Being a ref is hard...

Brett Blume
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wcamnclone View Post
    Do you think as conference play has progressed, that the "rules of emphasis" to begin the year like the hand-checking or impeding progress rules have regressed and no longer being called consistently? I think we need to replace Mr. Curtis Shaw as Big 12 coordinator of officials with Mr. Blum.
    Ha! They have certainly called fewer fouls over than the pre-conferece season. Not sure if this is because of relaxation of the points of emphasis or the team's adjusting, but something to watch for sure.

I actually think Iowa State may fare better in the NCAA tournament because those games are usually more tightly called and closely monitored. (Unless Niang gets 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes that is. )

Twitter.com/brentblum

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 700
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 233

As long as we're throwing random stuff out there....can someone with reffing knowledge explain how goaltending works when it comes to trapping the ball against the glass? I always thought that trapping it was goaltending but after the last few weeks I'm pretty confident I'm completely wrong, or just missing some nuances of the rule.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Brett Blume
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    As long as we're throwing random stuff out there....can someone with reffing knowledge explain how goaltending works when it comes to trapping the ball against the glass? I always thought that trapping it was goaltending but after the last few weeks I'm pretty confident I'm completely wrong, or just missing some nuances of the rule.
    The ball has to be completely above the basket ring in order for goal-tending to be called once it hits the back-board. This is often misunderstood.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post

Freezes everything she touches. 6/10 Still would.