Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker?

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Parker?

What is the word on Parker? Back for Texas? Looked like it could have been a concussion.

I noticed his name missing from the D-stats. No tackles? Nothing? I guess Iowa didn't overlook him.

I hated to see him get leveled, especially when he was not going to make the tackle anyway. The lineman who took him out didn't even need to hit him to make the play, just stand in the way, but the guy unloaded anyway, firmly securing the three yard gain. I guess when you get the chance to be the hitter instead of the hittee, you can't blame anyone for taking full advantage. And while the mindless in the crowd love a big hit, it doesn't prove much to me to level someone who doesn't even see you coming.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Re: Parker?

I think you make a very good point. There were several fans in the crowd that cheered for that, but it was a completely unnecessary hit. A big hit is fun to watch, but to cheer for someone to be injured is just sick.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

I'm sorry that he got hurt on the play but hitting and getting hit are part of the game. I cheer when our guys lay a major hit on someone but I'm not cheering because the guy could be injured. Its a good play and part of the game.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165

Hits like that always look really ugly when the player doesn't see it coming. And I doubt anybody but the most cold hearted (or drunk) person would cheer him laying on the ground. I love that kid and I really hope he's back for Texas and the rest of the year.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Ross Verba layed one of those hit's on me as a junior. I got my payback senor year. For some reason it usually does not hurt when you get rocked like that. When you get lit up and see it comming it really hurts. Probably because you tense up so much.

Clones Rule

Recruit
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Worst part about the entire thing was an older lady (40-50) started yelling "Weiner, Weiner..." when he went down. Of course as we know he just laid there because he was hurt. As the trainers came out, I was about to say something when someone in front of me called her on it. He said that this is the reason the rest of the nation thinks you have the worst fans. It is totally classless to heckle a player when he is injured regardless of who he plays for. She then tried to defend it and say that Iowa State fans would have done the same thing. He said no they wouldn't because we have respect for others, especially when they are down.

I was totally appauled that she would yell such a thing and am thankful that the person in front said something to her in such a level headed and respectful way. I could not have said it better. Overall I thought the fans I ran into were pretty well behaved, but that just disgusted me. Anyway, just my two cents...

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 91

As an ex offensive lineman I'll say that those hits are your number one goal (along with the d-backs who stop moving 2 seconds early near the pile). When else is an o-lineman the subject of a replay? Hey Rashawn, best keep your head on a swivel!

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

And as an ex-linebacker, I can say that blowing someone up away from the play is an O-lineman's way of getting back at the world for his lot in life!

The Parker shot wasn't dirty, and I would have lit him up too, given the heat of the moment and all. But what a waste, he couldn't have made that tackle if he had 4.3 speed.

That guy got one lucky shot in, right place at the right time. You can't say any of the hawkeyes O-line had a great game, considering their rushing yardage.

Class of 91

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

He's young...he'll learn. I'm glad that it doesn't appear to be anything more serious that just seeing stars.

i agree with justincl...the worst part about the hit was the iowa fan reaction.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by amyk33 View Post
    I'm glad that it doesn't appear to be anything more serious that just seeing stars.
    Is that true? Do you have a source or are you guessing? I can't find any info on the severity or his probability for this weekend. I figure if they are starting a true freshman we are thin, plus I would hate to see him sit out for any length of time because of some weak sauce like that.

Class of 91

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 774
    Given: 3,115

Quote Originally Posted by threemuch View Post
    Is that true? Do you have a source or are you guessing? I can't find any info on the severity or his probability for this weekend. I figure if they are starting a true freshman we are thin, plus I would hate to see him sit out for any length of time because of some weak sauce like that.
    C.John had the same info yesterday - that he was up and alert. Not sure if it was on radio?

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by threemuch View Post
    He walked off the field, so I would assume he is ok. It is, however, a guess.

Starting a true freshman doesn't necessarily mean we are "thin" as you put it. It could be an indication that our recruting is getting that much better. We are getting a more quality player out of the gate, whereas in the past ISU has spent the first couple years developing their guys.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,251
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 1

My biggest problem with the whole thing is that they played the replay like 5 times as he was laying on the field motionless. Nice. Otherwise it was a nice hit.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165

I am watching the press conference as I write this, and Mac just got done saying everybody practiced that played on Saturday and health was good. I assume he's talking about parker there.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by amyk33 View Post
    Starting a true freshman doesn't necessarily mean we are "thin" as you put it. It could be an indication that our recruting is getting that much better.
    I think that is fishful winking, er wishful thinking. I don't think a D-1A program who has dreams of conference contention starts a true freshman who is 6' tall and weighs 235 pounds at DE, even if the guy is half tasmanian devil/half lightning bolt and has a motor so big the hood won't close. If you had any choice, you would wait a year, and put 20-40 pounds on him, or teach him to be a linebacker.

No doubt the kid is one hell of an athelete. I am glad he is OK.

Class of 91