Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: BBQ Smokers

  1. #31
    Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Points: 672,366, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    27,790
    Points
    672,366
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,374
    Given: 615

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by kentkel View Post
    I have one, probably just like Janny's, & concur that it does a great job. The awesome thing is that it wasn't very expensive (relative to a lot of smokers). So if you want a relatively inexpensive smoker that does a good job, I think the Electric Masterbuilt is a great option. BTW, I buy 3-4 cans of baked beans (KC Masterpiece Bourbon), put them in a tin foil boat, chop up an apple into small slices & mix it in the beans. I smoke the beans on one rack, along with my sausage or bone-in chicken breasts for about an hour and 45 minutes (to 2 hours) at 245 degrees, and it turns out great each time.
    Every time I use the smoker for gatherings, I always toss in at least a couple of sausages. Just the Hillshire Farm smoked sausage or Kielbasa. They are always a hit, and they're always gone in no time. The other thing I've done recently is wings. I got about 4 lbs of wings for a party we were throwing, put them in ziploc bags with a healthy amount of dry rub, and let them sit in the fridge for about 48 hours. Then, I smoked them with hickory for about 2 1/2 hours at 225 degrees. They were amazing. A lot of times with smoked wings, you worry about them getting rubbery, but the consistency on these was perfect. Huge hit at the party.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  2. #32
    Pro
    Points: 66,688, Level: 80
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,362
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Acylum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    3,281
    Points
    66,688
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,022
    Given: 2,428

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    .....wow....yeah....
    I know. I'm saving up.


    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  3. #33
    Starter
    Points: 29,027, Level: 52
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    733
    Points
    29,027
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 47

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Glad to hear you guys are saying good things about the Masterbuilt Electrics...picked up a 30" Sportsman's Elite for dirt cheap before Xmas and can't wait to try it when the weather warms some.



  4. #34
    Starter
    Points: 23,955, Level: 47
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    730
    Points
    23,955
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 84

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by kentkel View Post
    I have one, probably just like Janny's, & concur that it does a great job. The awesome thing is that it wasn't very expensive (relative to a lot of smokers). So if you want a relatively inexpensive smoker that does a good job, I think the Electric Masterbuilt is a great option. BTW, I buy 3-4 cans of baked beans (KC Masterpiece Bourbon), put them in a tin foil boat, chop up an apple into small slices & mix it in the beans. I smoke the beans on one rack, along with my sausage or bone-in chicken breasts for about an hour and 45 minutes (to 2 hours) at 245 degrees, and it turns out great each time.
    Next time put the beans under whatever meat you're cooking so the juices drip down into them. Mmmmm. I do this with Boston butt.



  5. #35
    Starter
    Points: 23,955, Level: 47
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    730
    Points
    23,955
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 84

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Every time I use the smoker for gatherings, I always toss in at least a couple of sausages. Just the Hillshire Farm smoked sausage or Kielbasa. They are always a hit, and they're always gone in no time. The other thing I've done recently is wings. I got about 4 lbs of wings for a party we were throwing, put them in ziploc bags with a healthy amount of dry rub, and let them sit in the fridge for about 48 hours. Then, I smoked them with hickory for about 2 1/2 hours at 225 degrees. They were amazing. A lot of times with smoked wings, you worry about them getting rubbery, but the consistency on these was perfect. Huge hit at the party.
    I also have a Masterbuilt 30 but mine is the cheapest analog version without the window and has only 3 racks. It seems to do a fine job and I get hours of thin blue smoke if the chips are soaked and stacked right. I tried wings for the Super Bowl and one thing I did was inject the wing sauce into the meat with a flavor injector. Actually adds a ton of flavor.



  6. #36
    Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Points: 672,366, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    27,790
    Points
    672,366
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,374
    Given: 615

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I also have a Masterbuilt 30 but mine is the cheapest analog version without the window and has only 3 racks. It seems to do a fine job and I get hours of thin blue smoke if the chips are soaked and stacked right. I tried wings for the Super Bowl and one thing I did was inject the wing sauce into the meat with a flavor injector. Actually adds a ton of flavor.
    I did the injection with turkey, and it turned out fantastic. I get the Tony Chachere's Creole Butter. I'll have to try injecting wings


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  7. #37
    Pro
    Points: 66,688, Level: 80
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,362
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Acylum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    3,281
    Points
    66,688
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,022
    Given: 2,428

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I did the injection with turkey, and it turned out fantastic. I get the Tony Chachere's Creole Butter. I'll have to try injecting wings
    Sounds a bit tedious. Given their size, I would think marinating would accomplish the same results.


    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  8. #38
    Pro
    Points: 39,072, Level: 61
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,278
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    whirlybirds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, IA
    Posts
    2,207
    Points
    39,072
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 22

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Electricity is cheaper than propane, bro.


    There are not many crowds or places in the country that have a better impact on the game than at Iowa State. The Cyclone fans are truly a sixth man. The place is so loud and always a fantastic crowd." - Former Kansas and current North Carolina head coach Roy Williams

  9. #39
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,947, Level: 90
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    3,816
    Points
    84,947
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 970
    Given: 1,392

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Frankly, I ENJOY tending the fire a little bit. It gives me an excuse to spend most of the day outside with a beer when my wife could have me inside working on the honey-do list with an electric/propane smoker that has been set and forgotten.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  10. #40
    Prospect
    Points: 6,196, Level: 23
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    bkassel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    columbia, mo
    Posts
    66
    Points
    6,196
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    pellets? what are you guys, chickens? real wood or nothing.


    i have a lot of beliefs and i live by none of them - louis ck

  11. #41
    Addict
    Points: 176,635, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Cycl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Liberty
    Posts
    7,398
    Points
    176,635
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 582
    Given: 122

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    I have a masterbuilt electric. Works great. Inexpensive too.



  12. #42
    Starter
    Points: 20,605, Level: 43
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cydline2cydline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Altoonaville
    Posts
    687
    Points
    20,605
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 52

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Was wondering if anyone on here has ever tried the Pit Barrel Cooker? http://pitbarrelcooker.com/ Seems like a beginners version of a UDS, but every review I have read says it produces consistently good meat with not much of a hassle. I am wanting to get my first smoker and it seems like this might be a good option? Looking for some insight from someone who knows more than I about smoking meat.


    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

  13. #43
    Addict
    Points: 89,475, Level: 93
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,775
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclones_R_GR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,182
    Points
    89,475
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,184
    Given: 2,064

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by cydline2cydline View Post
    Was wondering if anyone on here has ever tried the Pit Barrel Cooker? http://pitbarrelcooker.com/ Seems like a beginners version of a UDS, but every review I have read says it produces consistently good meat with not much of a hassle. I am wanting to get my first smoker and it seems like this might be a good option? Looking for some insight from someone who knows more than I about smoking meat.
    From everything I have read it is a set it and forget it type of cooker and everything I have seen online gives it very good reviews. There are a few youtube videos out there by other people that have used it and given it favorable reviews as a good cooker for those new to smoking/BBQ because it will maintain a consistent temperature which is one of the hardest parts.


    They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

  14. #44
    Addict
    Points: 52,096, Level: 70
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    5,973
    Points
    52,096
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 855
    Given: 1,128

    Re: BBQ Smokers

    Quote Originally Posted by cydline2cydline View Post
    Was wondering if anyone on here has ever tried the Pit Barrel Cooker? http://pitbarrelcooker.com/ Seems like a beginners version of a UDS, but every review I have read says it produces consistently good meat with not much of a hassle. I am wanting to get my first smoker and it seems like this might be a good option? Looking for some insight from someone who knows more than I about smoking meat.
    Yeah, basically a rich man's UDS. For that money I'd either buy the WSM, or make a UDS, and buy 10 cases of beer



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM