Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 127
  1. #61
    Addict
    Points: 51,135, Level: 69
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,337
    Points
    51,135
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 755
    Given: 966

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    I don't think so. Look at the last game at Texas. ISU didn't play well on offense at all and turned the ball over like crazy and they were down 4 with a minute left. I think they actually out rebounded Texas as well.
    I do think so. Ridley and Holmes combined for 39 points, 18 rebounds (including 7 offensive) and 7 blocks. Their interior presence forced ISU to attempt 32 three pointers, seven more than their average. They fact that they were able to knock down 11 of them kept ISU in the game. With lots of long shots come long rebounds and ISU was able to get hold of many of those, which also helped. But the superior size of Texas pounded ISU on the interior, drawing lots of fouls, which sent them to the line for high percentage free throws and putting an ISU team that isn't very deep in foul trouble. I alos remember the length of Texas defenders being a big reason ISu had so many turnovers. I think ISU has to get Ridley and/or Holmes out of the game in foul trouble for long stretches to have a good shot at winning. They were close in Austin, but Texas prevailed. Since Texas isn't getting any smaller, ISU needs to figure out what changes can be made. They'll either need to get the Texas bigs moving more side to side and drive past them or make more threes. I am cheering for ISu to win this game to help KU out in the standings, but I think it will very very hard. Until ISU proves thay can beat a team with big strong post players I will pick Texas.



  2. #62
    Legend
    Points: 184,152, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    10,813
    Points
    184,152
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 708

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    I do think so. Ridley and Holmes combined for 39 points, 18 rebounds (including 7 offensive) and 7 blocks. Their interior presence forced ISU to attempt 32 three pointers, seven more than their average. They fact that they were able to knock down 11 of them kept ISU in the game. With lots of long shots come long rebounds and ISU was able to get hold of many of those, which also helped. But the superior size of Texas pounded ISU on the interior, drawing lots of fouls, which sent them to the line for high percentage free throws and putting an ISU team that isn't very deep in foul trouble. I alos remember the length of Texas defenders being a big reason ISu had so many turnovers. I think ISU has to get Ridley and/or Holmes out of the game in foul trouble for long stretches to have a good shot at winning. They were close in Austin, but Texas prevailed. Since Texas isn't getting any smaller, ISU needs to figure out what changes can be made. They'll either need to get the Texas bigs moving more side to side and drive past them or make more threes. I am cheering for ISu to win this game to help KU out in the standings, but I think it will very very hard. Until ISU proves thay can beat a team with big strong post players I will pick Texas.
    You do realized how often ISU loses in Hilton to teams not named KU, right?



  3. #63
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,139, Level: 63
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    wonkadog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,060
    Points
    42,139
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 355
    Given: 302

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    You do realized how often ISU loses in Hilton to teams not named KU, right?
    I was just going to say something along the same lines. You can draw up all the comparisons you want as if the game will be played in a vacuum but bottom line is we don't lose at home very dang often.


    "It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

  4. #64
    Pro
    Points: 64,029, Level: 78
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 821
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jahfg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    3,048
    Points
    64,029
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 240

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Most of our new bandwagon fans don't understand the dynamic of conference play. It's a ***** to play on the road, and you take absolutely any W you can get.

    I'm amazed how many noobs treat the AP poll as gospel. They don't understand that CBB is a crapshoot.

    The 14-0 start definitely has had a weird effect on the fanbase. It got expectations way out of whack and has led to a letdown in enthusiasm.

    Luckily, there is no better atmosphere than postseason basketball in March to get everyone back on board.

    Oh yea. ISU by 8.



  5. #65
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,001, Level: 68
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,606
    Points
    49,001
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 1

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    I do think so. Ridley and Holmes combined for 39 points, 18 rebounds (including 7 offensive) and 7 blocks. Their interior presence forced ISU to attempt 32 three pointers, seven more than their average. They fact that they were able to knock down 11 of them kept ISU in the game. With lots of long shots come long rebounds and ISU was able to get hold of many of those, which also helped. But the superior size of Texas pounded ISU on the interior, drawing lots of fouls, which sent them to the line for high percentage free throws and putting an ISU team that isn't very deep in foul trouble. I alos remember the length of Texas defenders being a big reason ISu had so many turnovers. I think ISU has to get Ridley and/or Holmes out of the game in foul trouble for long stretches to have a good shot at winning. They were close in Austin, but Texas prevailed. Since Texas isn't getting any smaller, ISU needs to figure out what changes can be made. They'll either need to get the Texas bigs moving more side to side and drive past them or make more threes. I am cheering for ISu to win this game to help KU out in the standings, but I think it will very very hard. Until ISU proves thay can beat a team with big strong post players I will pick Texas.


    So are you going to pick Texas to win at KU?



  6. #66
    Addict
    Points: 51,135, Level: 69
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,337
    Points
    51,135
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 755
    Given: 966

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    You do realized how often ISU loses in Hilton to teams not named KU, right?
    That means nothing. Kansas almost never loses at home, either. It didn't stop a team that was a bad match up for Kansas, San Diego State, from winning a game there.



  7. #67
    All-Star
    Points: 25,295, Level: 48
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISUagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,019
    Points
    25,295
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 24

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    I would agree the non-conference got some expectations out of whack. Our fans aren't getting excited for our much more important conference matchups. Anyways, I'm hoping that a ranked Texas team brings great atmosphere again. I think we get this one because we are at home, but I'm still extremely nervous about it.



  8. #68
    Addict
    Points: 51,135, Level: 69
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,337
    Points
    51,135
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 755
    Given: 966

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    So are you going to pick Texas to win at KU?
    I pick Kansas to win every game because it feels like it's bad karma to do otherwise and it would haunt me if I picked them to lose and they did. I am pretty superstitious in my fandom. Let's just say that I hope that Kansas can play considerably better than they did @Texas so they give themselves a chance to win. No result in that game would surprise me. Texas is a handful.



  9. #69
    Legend
    Points: 184,152, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    10,813
    Points
    184,152
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 708

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    That means nothing. Kansas almost never loses at home, either. It didn't stop a team that was a bad match up for Kansas, San Diego State, from winning a game there.
    I'll take my odds on picking wins at Hilton and Phog instead of taking stats from one game and assuming Texas will play just as good or better @Hilton than they did at home.

    ISU will play better at home, Texas will play worse on the road. ISU will be favored by 5 points or more.



  10. #70
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,139, Level: 63
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    wonkadog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,060
    Points
    42,139
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 355
    Given: 302

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    That means nothing. Kansas almost never loses at home, either. It didn't stop a team that was a bad match up for Kansas, San Diego State, from winning a game there.
    I would say that it means you're going against some heavy odds that point the opposite direction when saying any team besides yours is going to win at Hilton this year.


    "It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

  11. #71
    Pro
    Points: 28,432, Level: 51
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,237
    Points
    28,432
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 743
    Given: 552

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    Most of our new bandwagon fans don't understand the dynamic of conference play. It's a ***** to play on the road, and you take absolutely any W you can get.

    I'm amazed how many noobs treat the AP poll as gospel. They don't understand that CBB is a crapshoot.

    The 14-0 start definitely has had a weird effect on the fanbase. It got expectations way out of whack and has led to a letdown in enthusiasm.

    Luckily, there is no better atmosphere than postseason basketball in March to get everyone back on board.

    Oh yea. ISU by 8.
    Agreed. It seems like when I started school in 03 until I left Ames to change jobs in 09 that we had 2 year conference road losing streaks in both basketball in football.



  12. #72
    All-Star
    Points: 54,825, Level: 72
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    dahliaclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,545
    Points
    54,825
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 243
    Given: 331

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Bad matchup for the Cyclones. Texas by 6.



  13. #73
    Speechless
    Points: 188,207, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,936
    Points
    188,207
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 1,169

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Any students out camping now that the snow is done?

    Another top 20 matchup! Im so geeked for this game.



  14. #74
    Addict
    Points: 51,135, Level: 69
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,337
    Points
    51,135
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 755
    Given: 966

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    I'll take my odds on picking wins at Hilton and Phog instead of taking stats from one game and assuming Texas will play just as good or better @Hilton than they did at home. ISU will play better at home, Texas will play worse on the road. ISU will be favored by 5 points or more.
    College basketball is a game of match ups, not a game of history. We'll see soon enough, ISU has the game to beat Texas, they will just have to play their game despite the match up.



  15. #75
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,001, Level: 68
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,606
    Points
    49,001
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 1

    Re: Texas at Iowa State predictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    I do think so. Ridley and Holmes combined for 39 points, 18 rebounds (including 7 offensive) and 7 blocks. Their interior presence forced ISU to attempt 32 three pointers, seven more than their average. They fact that they were able to knock down 11 of them kept ISU in the game. With lots of long shots come long rebounds and ISU was able to get hold of many of those, which also helped. But the superior size of Texas pounded ISU on the interior, drawing lots of fouls, which sent them to the line for high percentage free throws and putting an ISU team that isn't very deep in foul trouble. I alos remember the length of Texas defenders being a big reason ISu had so many turnovers. I think ISU has to get Ridley and/or Holmes out of the game in foul trouble for long stretches to have a good shot at winning. They were close in Austin, but Texas prevailed. Since Texas isn't getting any smaller, ISU needs to figure out what changes can be made. They'll either need to get the Texas bigs moving more side to side and drive past them or make more threes. I am cheering for ISu to win this game to help KU out in the standings, but I think it will very very hard. Until ISU proves thay can beat a team with big strong post players I will pick Texas.
    Do you realize that Ejim and Niang had a combined 35 and 15 so they pose matchup problems for Texas as well? Taylor and Felix drew more fouls than Holmes and Ridley.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM