Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 91

Re: I hope hilton....

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Classic. Team doesn't perform well - obviously the fans' fault. Bad snowstorm? Not an excuse for neither driving from wherever you live nor walking across campus when the University isn't doing its job in keeping the sidewalks clear. Crowd is quiet? once again obviously the fans' fault. After all, it's their responsibility to be the noisiest facility in America even when the team isn't giving them anything to cheer for.

Blame the fans - so pathetic.
    I don't know of anyone that is really blaming the fans for the team not playing well for a stretch in the second half. I will flat out blame the students for not coming, jump on the bus if you don't want to drive or walk (wouldn't want them falling on those horrific sidewalks ha).

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    I don't know of anyone that is really blaming the fans for the team not playing well for a stretch in the second half. I will flat out blame the students for not coming, jump on the bus if you don't want to drive or walk (wouldn't want them falling on those horrific sidewalks ha).
    I think at this point there is no use blaming the students. The AD oversold student tickets, probably for a variety of reasons. The only thing to do know is demand the AD shave about 1500 or so student tickets and start selling them to the general public. Create a higher demand for the student tickets and help more families make it to more games.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 287

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    I think at this point there is no use blaming the students. The AD oversold student tickets, probably for a variety of reasons. The only thing to do know is demand the AD shave about 1500 or so student tickets and start selling them to the general public. Create a higher demand for the student tickets and help more families make it to more games.
    And those students who really want tickets could certainly just buy them as well.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There is nothing wrong with the atmosphere yesterday. The only thing that is annoying is when fans go around talking about how amazing and elite Hilton is as a gameday atmosphere.

Very good atmosphere yes. Elite, no. Hilton is usually pretty live and impressive for KU, Iowa and other top 15 teams. Other than that its pretty on par with most teams in the top 1/2 in their leagues.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

I'm not sure what's worse, CycloneErik ******** about sidewalk conditions or 1989 grads lamenting the loss of "THE MAGICK."

Students looking wobbly because they slipped on the ice? LOLOLOLLLLLOOOOLOLOL. You gotta be kidding me, CycloneErik.

The students blew their wad for Michigan and Kansas. It was cold and a 12:45 game against Texas Tech. They are bandwagon fans. It had all the makings for a weak showing.

There's been a culture change since those glory days of 1991 in Hilton Coliseum. Watch some old games. Everyone in the building is a huge dork and they don't care. We are much more self-conscious nowadays. Bless your soul if you're the guy in you're section waving everyone to their feet, but most likely, 75% of the section is making fun of you. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the truth.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 310

Student attendance has been pathetic. I didn't have a problem with attendance for the rest of the arena. Pollard needs to get rid of the student section in the balcony and I think he might. Sell those to people that will pay more for them and actually show up.

Recruit
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeborg View Post
    I was at the game. The crowd was pretty decent. We gave the team a really good ovation when they managed to string together a good last minute to bring the lead to 10 at halftime. We gave them good noise when they built the lead to 18 and Tech took a time out. When Tech threw together 12 straight points unanswered after that, we tried, we really did, to get behind the team and lift them up, but we just kept throwing the ball away, giving them an easy bucket, or a foul'd get called and kill the crowd.

Listen, there were people in my section that haven't missed a game in the 10 years I've had those tickets who either a) didn't make it today, or b) were more than 45 minutes late. The roads were bad, 35 was a parking lot, and the ISU center was triple booked, forcing people to walk from Jack or elsewhere.

And once they got in, having fought traffic, and been sent in a never-ending loop by the parking people looking for a spot, it's hard to immediately jump into rabid fan mode.

Add on top of that, it was a John Higgins officiated game, which means that the first half was super open and loose, and the second half got called pretty tight. Every other series, it seemed like, we got called for ticky tacky fouls as they drove to the lane. We couldn't play defense without fouling, and we couldn't, it felt, get a call at the other end of the floor. That's a recipe for a dead crowd, because you can only be indignant about officiating for so many series in a row.

Turn on any other CMBB game in the country on any given day or night, and there are maybe a half dozen with attendance reaching ours. Was it down compared to what many games in Hilton are? Sure. Was it bad? Heck no.

So stop being ridiculous and enjoy the win.

We won. Enjoy the win.

We won.

Enjoy the win.

BRAVO BRAVO!!!! LOVE THIS POST! Thank you. So tired of our own fans hating on each other and on the team. Just stop. DO the best you can yourself, encourage others to be there, be positive, yell loud. Stop all of the negative talk about the team. They are 19-5, a tight-knit team of young men we all can be very proud of, coached by a man who is a very, very good coach on the way to being a great coach. There are some very good ideas on this thread and others on how we can improve the student section and Hilton Magic in general. Let's just try a few of these and STOP THE NEGATIVITY towards our OWN!

Last edited by spelhome; 02-16-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

I'm sure their will be a lame Daily editorial, but Pollard needs to stop selling as many student tickets.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 60

Perhaps some TV cameras linked soley to the jumbotron screen with red lights pointed at the "Alley" and constently showing them on screen would keep them more "aroused".

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    I'm not sure what's worse, CycloneErik ******** about sidewalk conditions or 1989 grads lamenting the loss of "THE MAGICK."

Students looking wobbly because they slipped on the ice? LOLOLOLLLLLOOOOLOLOL. You gotta be kidding me, CycloneErik.

The students blew their wad for Michigan and Kansas. It was cold and a 12:45 game against Texas Tech. They are bandwagon fans. It had all the makings for a weak showing.

There's been a culture change since those glory days of 1991 in Hilton Coliseum. Watch some old games. Everyone in the building is a huge dork and they don't care. We are much more self-conscious nowadays. Bless your soul if you're the guy in you're section waving everyone to their feet, but most likely, 75% of the section is making fun of you. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the truth.
    Oh, I'd definitely agree with you that 75% (or over) of the section is making fun of me when I'm trying to wave everyone to their feet. Doesn't mean we should stop doing it, nor will you ever convince me that it doesn't help our team. But that's just me. I'll risk being a dork every time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by spelhome View Post
    BRAVO BRAVO!!!! LOVE THIS POST! Thank you. So tired of our own fans hating on each other and on the team. Just stop. DO the best you can yourself, encourage others to be there, be positive, yell loud. Stop all of the negative talk about the team. They are 19-5, a tight-knit team of young men we all can be very proud of, coached by a man who is a very, very good coach on the way to being a great coach. There are some very good ideas on this thread and others on how we can improve the student section and Hilton Magic in general. Let's just try a few of these and STOP THE NEGATIVITY towards our OWN!
    I agree. Definitely proud of the team. Also, I don't think its a 'negative' thing to want the place packed and rocking and even offering to buy some fatheads or signs. It's more of a 'lets rally the troops' . Nobody wants the students to stop coming. Nobody.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by allfourcy View Post
    Oh, I'd definitely agree with you that 75% (or over) of the section is making fun of me when I'm trying to wave everyone to their feet. Doesn't mean we should stop doing it, nor will you ever convince me that it doesn't help our team. But that's just me. I'll risk being a dork every time.
    Can I call "dork" of 238 or does someone want to challenge me?

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,030
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by allfourcy View Post
    I agree. Definitely proud of the team. Also, I don't think its a 'negative' thing to want the place packed and rocking and even offering to buy some fatheads or signs. It's more of a 'lets rally the troops' . Nobody wants the students to stop coming. Nobody.
    (Mumbling under breath) how would we know the difference?

i kid....I kid.

IMO this team has put a product on the court that deserves students attendance, and shouldn't require a ton of arm twisting or incentive to show up.

having said that....it doesn't appear the school or CAC are operating in a conducive way to maximize student attendance. And I don't fault students for not being "into" a game where we urinate away an 18 point lead against a team we have almost zero history or rivalry with.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    (Mumbling under breath) how would we know the difference?

i kid....I kid.

IMO this team has put a product on the court that deserves students attendance, and shouldn't require a ton of arm twisting or incentive to show up.

having said that....it doesn't appear the school or CAC are operating in a conducive way to maximize student attendance. And I don't fault students for not being "into" a game where we urinate away an 18 point lead against a team we have almost zero history or rivalry with.
    Uh, the students weren't "into the game" much at any point yesterday as indicated by the overall lack of attendance and non-existent enthusiasm.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I dont understand people using bad roads as an excuse. There really werent any more empty seats than the last 3 home games. The quantity of people there was outstanding. I think the complaint has to do with just the overall excitement and intensity of the crowd.

Student quantity is another issue.