Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 331
    Given: 526

Olympics

I wish they were more about the sports. I also think it's a little embarrassing that every 10 minutes we criticize Russia with some if the things we do in the U.S..

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 134

Re: Olympics

Commie!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 144

Not a fan of all the political BS that NBC is interjecting into their broadcast either. Save it for another time.

Addict
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 435

Can someone help me understand this odd thought I have about the Olympics?

In both the summer and winter olympics, there are multiple swimming races, skiing races, and other events where different distances are separate medal events. Because of this, people like Phelps have won multiple medals in each games. The major team sports, like soccer, hockey, and basketball have one tournament for the duration of the games. Usually on the final day there is the championship game. These athletes compete for two weeks in one event for the chance to win one medal.

Couldn't someone compare the timed events to a separate medal event for one-period hockey, two-period hockey, a medal for a shootout tournament, a hockey game with no line changes, etc? Why are team sports only one medal while individual sports care multiple events?

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 766
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 900
    Given: 896

Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post

In both the summer and winter olympics, there are multiple swimming races, skiing races, and other events where different distances are separate medal events. Because of this, people like Phelps have won multiple medals in each games. The major team sports, like soccer, hockey, and basketball have one tournament for the duration of the games. Usually on the final day there is the championship game. These athletes compete for two weeks in one event for the chance to win one medal.

Couldn't someone compare the timed events to a separate medal event for one-period hockey, two-period hockey, a medal for a shootout tournament, a hockey game with no line changes, etc? Why are team sports only one medal while individual sports care multiple events?
    I've always thought that was a little odd, too. One swimmer can bring in 7-ish medals for his country's medal count, but a team of 15-20 can play for weeks and contribute 1.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like when the snowboarding events were added to the Olympics (since the X-Games seem to cover them pretty thoroughly) but I appreciate the comaraderie the athletes have towards each other. I know there's a ton of pressure for the competitors to do well, but I enjoy watching people from other countries cheer on their opponents. They seem like they actually have fun.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 297

Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post

Part of it might be that team events have a designated time that they're supposed to last, but other sports don't. A hockey is three periods, but how far should a speed skating race be? There are different lengths which all work. It also probably has to do with the development if each sport. A track and field meet has multiple races but you only play one soccer game at a time

Prospect
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    Not a fan of all the political BS that NBC is interjecting into their broadcast either. Save it for another time.
    IMO, the way to watch the Olympics is on DVR. You can skip the crap figure skating, commentary and human interest stuff.

Wreck 'em, Tech!
    Wreck 'em, 'Clones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,412
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 319

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    I think a lot of that has to do with left over hatred from the cold war. All these people doing the broadcasting are old dudes that remember hiding under their desks in school to "protect" them from a nuclear blast.

Cy has balls of steel.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,067
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 52

The Olympics and politics have been intertwined forever. Or are you new to the games?

Also, no one should apologize for criticizing Russia. It's well deserved.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Addict
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 435

Quote Originally Posted by WooClone15 View Post
    Part of it might be that team events have a designated time that they're supposed to last, but other sports don't. A hockey is three periods, but how far should a speed skating race be? There are different lengths which all work. It also probably has to do with the development if each sport. A track and field meet has multiple races but you only play one soccer game at a time

ok. hockey medal for first to score 1 goal. another medal for first to score 2 goals, etc. no doubt hockey is premier event (along with women's figure skating) but it is silly to think 20 pros can contribute 1 medal while a no-name skier contributes 4 medals. I guess that's the fun of the games- no one cares about moguls except every 4 years?