Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 934
  1. #46
    Starter
    Points: 20,855, Level: 44
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    BringBackJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    805
    Points
    20,855
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatllDoCy View Post
    There is a lot to be optimistic about in the future. I think they also found their man in Renteria. Has had a big positive affect on this team.
    He has been an awesome suprise. Great point!


    Smoke um if you got um

  2. #47
    Speechless
    Points: 223,154, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,319
    Points
    223,154
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,368
    Given: 86

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    To be fair, it wasn't all that long ago he won a gold glove.
    The WAR of a gold glove caliber player compared to a league average player defensively isn't a lot. WAR is generally based on how you hit.



  3. #48
    Speechless
    Points: 277,367, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    15,173
    Points
    277,367
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,144
    Given: 223

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    Really went in depth on that one chief
    I can if you want, but it would literally be the opposite of everything you said. No joke.



  4. #49
    Starter
    Points: 20,855, Level: 44
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    BringBackJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    805
    Points
    20,855
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I can if you want, but it would literally be the opposite of everything you said. No joke.
    So .....

    Don't try to win now
    Wait till wriggley renos are done
    Flip switch to win in 2017
    Maybe geared up by 2019

    I'm not arguing but I just don't think that will work. When you start extending dealines you create more risks. Ricketts is also losing fans by the thousands every year. Why ever volunteer to lose?

    I am all for building the farm system. That should be goal #1 but goal #2 shouldn't be the Videoboard it shoudl be stay competitive in the division.


    Smoke um if you got um

  5. #50
    Addict
    Points: 159,383, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,166
    Points
    159,383
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 911
    Given: 10

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    So .....

    Don't try to win now
    Wait till wriggley renos are done
    Flip switch to win in 2017
    Maybe geared up by 2019

    I'm not arguing but I just don't think that will work. When you start extending dealines you create more risks. Ricketts is also losing fans by the thousands every year. Why ever volunteer to lose?

    I am all for building the farm system. That should be goal #1 but goal #2 shouldn't be the Videoboard it shoudl be stay competitive in the division.
    I really think the Cubs are about two years away from being competitive. In watching them this year, while their record isn't great you can tell their approach and focus is much better. They've been competitive at times, and the starting pitching has been really good. I honestly feel their record this years with the likes of Ruggiano, Olt, Schierholtz, Lake, Barney and Coghlan being in the lineup consistently, I take that as progress.



  6. #51
    Speechless
    Points: 876,670, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,189
    Points
    876,670
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,627
    Given: 2,123

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I really think the Cubs are about two years away from being competitive. In watching them this year, while their record isn't great you can tell their approach and focus is much better. They've been competitive at times, and the starting pitching has been really good. I honestly feel their record this years with the likes of Ruggiano, Olt, Schierholtz, Lake, Barney and Coghlan being in the lineup consistently, I take that as progress.
    Next year has a nice shot at 80-88ish wins. Not contending, but very competent.
    I agree that two years is very possible. The building process is looking very good, and the improved amenities at Wrigley will make it possible if we need to add a free agent here or there. As it is, I don't see why anyone would sign with us that wasn't desperate for a job.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  7. #52
    Addict
    Points: 109,125, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,440
    Points
    109,125
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 318

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    So .....

    Don't try to win now
    Wait till wriggley renos are done
    Flip switch to win in 2017
    Maybe geared up by 2019

    I'm not arguing but I just don't think that will work. When you start extending dealines you create more risks. Ricketts is also losing fans by the thousands every year. Why ever volunteer to lose?

    I am all for building the farm system. That should be goal #1 but goal #2 shouldn't be the Videoboard it shoudl be stay competitive in the division.
    The Cubs weren't going to be competitive right now without spending a bunch of money in weak FA class, and that's likely to be true next year, too. I'd rather be stuck losing a ton right now and building to win for the long haul, than writing another batch of ****** contracts that might get us to being around .500 and then be stuck with those when the team's young is actually ready to start seriously competing.

    As far as this approach "losing fans by the thousands"? Who cares? The Cubs shouldn't change their approach just to cater to the fans who aren't smart enough to see what's going on, and those people will come back in droves the minute the Cubs start contending, anyway.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  8. #53
    Speechless
    Points: 876,670, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,189
    Points
    876,670
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,627
    Given: 2,123

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Yes, I'm sure that Ricketts is turning off the most patient fanbase sports has ever seen.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  9. #54
    Addict
    Points: 159,383, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,166
    Points
    159,383
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 911
    Given: 10

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    On another note, kind of hoping someone throws at Papi tonight. Walking out of the batter's box before the pitch was thrown is a **** move.



  10. #55
    Addict
    Points: 109,125, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,440
    Points
    109,125
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 318

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    On another note, kind of hoping someone throws at Papi tonight. Walking out of the batter's box before the pitch was thrown is a **** move.
    Here's a better idea. Actually throw something within a foot of the strike zone. I couldn't care less that he started to walk. He knew exactly what was coming.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  11. #56
    Starter
    Points: 20,855, Level: 44
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    BringBackJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    805
    Points
    20,855
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Last years attendance was down 657,518 patrons from where it was 5 years prior. That makes a pretty sizabale diffrence in organizational revenues.


    Smoke um if you got um

  12. #57
    Addict
    Points: 159,383, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,166
    Points
    159,383
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 911
    Given: 10

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Here's a better idea. Actually throw something within a foot of the strike zone. I couldn't care less that he started to walk. He knew exactly what was coming.
    He acts like he's the only person who has ever been pitched around, although I will admit it was a strange position to pitch around someone. Stand up there and then take your base without making a show out of it.

    Footnote: I've never liked Big Papi.



  13. #58
    Addict
    Points: 87,300, Level: 91
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,136
    Points
    87,300
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    Last years attendance was down 657,518 patrons from where it was 5 years prior. That makes a pretty sizabale diffrence in organizational revenues.
    Yeah, but their payroll has also gone down considerably. It was one of their worst seasons ever. Should it be surprising numbers were down?

    Rickets is all about business and I can't argue too much with what he's done financially with the contract terms he had to accept when buying the Cubs.

    I still wonder if it's worth it to stay in Wrigly with all the hoops he has to hop through dealing with the city of Chicago. When the Yankee's and Cardinals can both get away building a new stadium, it makes me wonder why he puts up with the baloney.



  14. #59
    Addict
    Points: 109,125, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,440
    Points
    109,125
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 318

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    He acts like he's the only person who has ever been pitched around, although I will admit it was a strange position to pitch around someone. Stand up there and then take your base without making a show out of it.

    Footnote: I've never liked Big Papi.
    So he doesn't bite his tongue (so to speak) when it comes to his frustration with being pitched around. Big deal. He's frustrated with it and he shows his frustration just like many other athletes do when they get frustrated with something. Plus, in last night's situation, anyway, he seemed to give the crowd a little bit of a boost with that. And considering that perhaps the best clutch hitter of our generation just had the bat taken out of his hands late in a close ball game, that wasn't exactly a bad thing.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  15. #60
    Pro
    Points: 42,155, Level: 63
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    KnappShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,412
    Points
    42,155
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 680
    Given: 405

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Yeah, but their payroll has also gone down considerably. It was one of their worst seasons ever. Should it be surprising numbers were down?

    Rickets is all about business and I can't argue too much with what he's done financially with the contract terms he had to accept when buying the Cubs.

    I still wonder if it's worth it to stay in Wrigly with all the hoops he has to hop through dealing with the city of Chicago. When the Yankee's and Cardinals can both get away building a new stadium, it makes me wonder why he puts up with the baloney.
    If the Spring Training home is any indication of the design skills then they should stay at Wrigley forever.

    That Cubs Park is void of comfort and charm. It's like they thought to take all of the ****** traits of Wrigley (tight seating, angry ushers, difficult concessions, poor parking) and import that to Arizona. At least Wrigley has Murphy's across the street.

    That mascot can suck it too. I need an Old Style!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM