Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 865
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 205,209, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    9,053
    Points
    205,209
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,075
    Given: 1,162

    2014 Chicago Cubs

    God this fantasy preview of Cubs players is depressing.

    MLB.com 2014 Player Preview | MLB.com

    Predicted top producer:

    Rizzo - .267 80 Runs 26 HR 88 RBI 4 SB

    I am sure most people are like this when looking at the roster.



    “Urgency,” Rhoads said. “That’s exactly what I told our staff. It’s exactly what I told our players. Urgency in getting your job done. That’s in a 100 percent rate of speed at executing your responsibility — whether it’s a fit, whether it’s a tackle, whether it’s a route, whether it’s a cut-off block. Everybody needs a little bit more urgency in coaching and playing.”


  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 363,583, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    My Playhouse
    Posts
    12,085
    Points
    363,583
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 607

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    It's not going to be a fun year. No talent whatsoever.

    The last few times people have asked me who my favorite Cub was, I couldn't even answer. How can you have a favorite player on this team? None of these guys have proven they're worthy of being MLB players (yet we have the money for anything we want)

    I truly believe that all our prospects are going to pan out, but we literally have no pitching.

    If Castro doesn't get it going this year, we need to trade him for some prospects. Our infield is set, with or without him, in 2 years.


    Category 4 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

    Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5

  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 302,071, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Cy$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13,787
    Points
    302,071
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 802

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Major League:The Bad News Cubs. In theaters this spring.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 205,209, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    9,053
    Points
    205,209
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,075
    Given: 1,162

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    It's not going to be a fun year. No talent whatsoever.

    The last few times people have asked me who my favorite Cub was, I couldn't even answer. How can you have a favorite player on this team? None of these guys have proven they're worthy of being MLB players (yet we have the money for anything we want)

    I truly believe that all our prospects are going to pan out, but we literally have no pitching.

    If Castro doesn't get it going this year, we need to trade him for some prospects. Our infield is set, with or without him, in 2 years.
    A week until pitches and catchers report and usually I am pretty pumped for the year, but this year man. It just sucks. This is truly how they felt in major league, except we ain't got no Jake Taylor, man, no Jake Taylor at all...


    “Urgency,” Rhoads said. “That’s exactly what I told our staff. It’s exactly what I told our players. Urgency in getting your job done. That’s in a 100 percent rate of speed at executing your responsibility — whether it’s a fit, whether it’s a tackle, whether it’s a route, whether it’s a cut-off block. Everybody needs a little bit more urgency in coaching and playing.”


  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 157,402, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,979
    Points
    157,402
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 794
    Given: 9

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    I am a pretty ardent Cubs fan, but there were several times towards the end of last year I'd switch on a game and see the guy hitting or pitching and say "who in the **** is that guy?"



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 150,418, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ZJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    3,512
    Points
    150,418
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 55

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    At least I get to see the new spring training facility in a couple of weeks!! And then watch them lose...



  7. #7
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 277,599, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,489
    Points
    277,599
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 180

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    25 of the 28 players are worth $1 fantasy dollar. Smardzija and Castro worth $4, Rizzo worth $8.

    In comparison:

    Trout $49
    Cabrera $48
    Kershaw $34
    Adam Jones $32
    Jean Segura (who??) $16

    Other $8 players:

    Wilin Rosario
    Hyun-Jin Ryu
    Koji Uehara
    Daniel Murphy

    Good god the Cubs are going to be awful. At least tickets will be easy to come by.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 363,583, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    My Playhouse
    Posts
    12,085
    Points
    363,583
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 607

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    A few important tidbits as we enter July

    - Last year, July 2nd was a big trade day for the Cubs because of some financial reason - trading players/signing players/calling players up becomes cheaper (I think for extension or something like that) so I wouldn't be shocked to see the majority of Cubs trades happening the next week or so.

    - Smardzija and Hammel are our two hottest trade commodities. Rumors popped up yesterday that Hammel was about to be traded so I'd expect him to be gone soon.

    - Castro was rumored to be on the trading block at the beginning of the year, but with how hot of a year he's having, will he be traded? Here's what the Cubs need to consider: Bryant and Baez make up your third base and shortstop starting next year. Can Castro take over at second and Alcantara take on the outfield, or will the Cubs try and get some high end prospects for one of the top shortstops in the league? Alcantara's only weakness right now is he strikes out like a blind man, but when he does hit the ball, often times he reaches base, and is a threat on the base paths.

    - Looks like this is the last time for awhile us Cubs fans will be in "sell" mode. Sounds like they are planning on spending a lot this offseason. They only need 2 pitchers and a corner outfielder to be a playoff contender next year.

    - Could the front office look at Schwarber and see Kris Bryant? He's putting up better numbers than Bryant did his first year of pro ball (.481 BA, 19 RBI, 8 HR in 15 games) While it's unlikely the Cubs would call a guy up after just .5 years in the minors, he can already play a corner outfield spot (unlike Bryant) Also, Bryant could have played for the Chi-Cubs this year and been just fine. It would definitely be interesting to see if the front office felt he was ready to go and just brought him up.

    Right now, we have a potential 2015 infield of Rizzo, Castro, Baez, and Bryant (average age: 24) and a 2016 outfield of Soler, Alcantara, and Schwarber (average age: 22) I'm sure we get some free agent vets to add to the talent and bring knowledge to the game, but damn, that is some seriously young talent.


    Category 4 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

    Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 341,843, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    16,539
    Points
    341,843
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,380
    Given: 2,891

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    I'm still cautiously optimistic, but it looks like they've expertly rebuilt the farm system. It's been so long since we've had real prospects on the horizon.

    Really excited for the potential of the team going forward.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 20,418, Level: 43
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,084
    Points
    20,418
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 483

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    When do the Cubs bring up Manny?



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 110,129, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,404
    Points
    110,129
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 304

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    A few important tidbits as we enter July

    - Last year, July 2nd was a big trade day for the Cubs because of some financial reason - trading players/signing players/calling players up becomes cheaper (I think for extension or something like that) so I wouldn't be shocked to see the majority of Cubs trades happening the next week or so.

    - Smardzija and Hammel are our two hottest trade commodities. Rumors popped up yesterday that Hammel was about to be traded so I'd expect him to be gone soon.

    - Castro was rumored to be on the trading block at the beginning of the year, but with how hot of a year he's having, will he be traded? Here's what the Cubs need to consider: Bryant and Baez make up your third base and shortstop starting next year. Can Castro take over at second and Alcantara take on the outfield, or will the Cubs try and get some high end prospects for one of the top shortstops in the league? Alcantara's only weakness right now is he strikes out like a blind man, but when he does hit the ball, often times he reaches base, and is a threat on the base paths.

    - Looks like this is the last time for awhile us Cubs fans will be in "sell" mode. Sounds like they are planning on spending a lot this offseason. They only need 2 pitchers and a corner outfielder to be a playoff contender next year.

    - Could the front office look at Schwarber and see Kris Bryant? He's putting up better numbers than Bryant did his first year of pro ball (.481 BA, 19 RBI, 8 HR in 15 games) While it's unlikely the Cubs would call a guy up after just .5 years in the minors, he can already play a corner outfield spot (unlike Bryant) Also, Bryant could have played for the Chi-Cubs this year and been just fine. It would definitely be interesting to see if the front office felt he was ready to go and just brought him up.

    Right now, we have a potential 2015 infield of Rizzo, Castro, Baez, and Bryant (average age: 24) and a 2016 outfield of Soler, Alcantara, and Schwarber (average age: 22) I'm sure we get some free agent vets to add to the talent and bring knowledge to the game, but damn, that is some seriously young talent.
    I'm still not sold on Baez yet. I think he's got the tools and could become an elite player, but I don't think he's going to be Major League-ready by next season. Bryant absolutely looks the part and (*disclaimer* small sample size) is already starting to tear up AAA much like he did AA.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 869,908, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    56,464
    Points
    869,908
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,151
    Given: 1,793

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    I hope we keep Castro.

    I wish we were keeping the pitchers, but I'm confident that we'll get some good ones in return. It's starting to look better.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 21,265, Level: 44
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,401
    Points
    21,265
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 30

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    I wouldn't hold my breath on the spending. Sounds like they're going to hold firm on similar budgets until the revenue stream increases (signage, TV deal, etc).



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,818, Level: 61
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,040
    Points
    39,818
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 22

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on the spending. Sounds like they're going to hold firm on similar budgets until the revenue stream increases (signage, TV deal, etc).
    And thats why rickets gave the middle finger to the roof top owners.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 87,084, Level: 91
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,130
    Points
    87,084
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 58

    Re: 2014 Chicago Cubs

    I would like to Castro go if we can get some good trade value for him. He can hit at times, but is a liability on defense.

    Barney needs to go, but we aren't going to get anything decent for him. They'll probably let him walk when his contract expires. Too bad such a great defensive player is so lousy hitting.

    Nate Schierholtz has been a disappointment after such a great first year with the Cubs. Hope he can turn it on before season end.

    I know they are at the bottom of the division, but the Cubs have been a lot more fun to watch this year. It's like watching a teenage kid who isn't quite coordinated yet, but you know once they get to the right age it will all click.

    Don't know if we'll see a lot of trades this year(not that I'm an expert at all on this). Seems like they have a pretty good core when you factor in what's coming up from the farm system. Not sure the Cubs are going to have a lot of money to spend yet as one article posted here suggested it will be 2019 before they get out of the awful sale terms that were agreed to when the team was sold.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM