Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 7

With Lazard committing, he's our highest ranked recruit since perhaps 1969?

I've been wondering about this for some time. Now that Lazard is officially part of the ISU team, how many other All-American level recruits has ISU signed in history?

The very first one I can think of is probably Jerry Moses (father of JJ and Milan) who was a Parade All-American in 1969 out of Waterloo East.

Perhaps some of our other 1970s era recruits reached that level? I'm pretty sure Chris Boskey was named to some All-American teams in 1977, but can't find which ones at the moment...

Also, I can't neglect to mention one of the most important recruits in ISU history: Jack Trice. As the dominant tackle (best in school history!) on a high school team that played for the national championship, Jack would've easily been a high profile recruit in contemporary times. Jack's freshman coach felt his talent was on par with--if not better than--Iowa's Duke Slater who went on to become the first black linemen in NFL history.

EDIT: Found a 1977 article that said Boskey was a "recruiting coup" for ISU who beat out "Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, UCLA, Southern California, and Pittsburgh to land the prep All-American."

Last edited by Kagavi; 02-05-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Projects inspired by Grandpa's campfire stories.
    www.kagavi.com
    | www.twitter.com/kagavi

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 13

Re: With Lazard committing, he's our highest ranked recruit since perhaps 1969?

I'm old enough to remember when Majors landed Jerry Moses, which was probably our biggest recruiting coup ever. Chris Boskey was of course also huge because of all the national powers we beat out, but having older brother Tom already on the team made it less of a surprise. Matt Blair was a juco and maybe our best player of all time considering what he did in the NFL, but I don't remember a lot of hoopla around his signing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

I think getting Moses was a way bigger deal. I don't know where to look up any kind of ranking (or even if there was rankings back then) but I thought at the time he was the most sought after player in the entire nation.

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wesley_w View Post
    I think getting Moses was a way bigger deal. I don't know where to look up any kind of ranking (or even if there was rankings back then) but I thought at the time he was the most sought after player in the entire nation.
    I remember it that way too, and part of it may be that I don't remember Moses committing nearly as early as Lazard, which added to the suspense with Moses. I think he was considered the nation's top recruit. He was phenomenol on the freshman team (couldn't play varsity), then tore his knee up in his 1st or 2nd game his sophomore year at Colorado State I believe. I was there and it seems Jerry had about 100 yards in the first half, got hurt, then a guy named Mike Strachan came in and went on to a great career at ISU, and pretty good NFL career too. Knee surgeries back then were pretty crude and Jerry was never the same player. Great that he could see two sons play at ISU.

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 20

Who do you guys predict to be the top 4 most productive receivers on this team next season?

I'm guessing Bundrage, Bibbs, Lazard, Montgomery.. What do you guys think?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Snyder21 View Post
    Who do you guys predict to be the top 4 most productive receivers on this team next season?

I'm guessing Bundrage, Bibbs, Lazard, Montgomery.. What do you guys think?
    Not exactly a wide out but don't forget about Jarvis in the slot. Should be the best group I can remember going back to the Majors era again when we had Willy Jones, Ike Harris and Keith Krepfle.

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

There was a 5* running back back when Danny Mac was coach that never actually made it to campus. Not sure if you want to count that or not. Webster Patrick or something like that

Though I think we are all assuming that lazzard is going to make it on campus

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 219

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    There was a 5* running back back when Danny Mac was coach that never actually made it to campus. Not sure if you want to count that or not. Webster Patrick or something like that

LOL! I just looked him up. I think I know why he never made it. ACT score was 14! I shouldn't laugh at that, but 14? Come on man!

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone101 View Post
    LOL! I just looked him up. I think I know why he never made it. ACT score was 14! I shouldn't laugh at that, but 14? Come on man!
    I never made any claims except that he was a highly rated recruit that committed to Iowa State lol

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,473
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 193

You thinking of this guy?

Webster Patrick - Yahoo! Sports

#1 all-purpose RB in the nation in '04. Not many of D-Mac's 4 star guys panned out except Hicks and Flynn.

Rookie
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Technically, he was in camp for about 10 days. I believe he was gone by the first day of classes. He definitely practiced though. Good guy, just didn't have his academics in line.

In fact, he may have been in Ames working with the team all summer leading up to the 2004-05 season.

Rookie
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 78

Reggie Hayward was a very big get at the time too. After the 2 win 1996 year how DMac got him to ames I'll never understand. He had a lot of very good offers and was from Illinois where we didn't have much success pulling kids in that state at the time.

Rookie
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by clone26 View Post
    Technically, he was in camp for about 10 days. I believe he was gone by the first day of classes. He definitely practiced though. Good guy, just didn't have his academics in line.

In fact, he may have been in Ames working with the team all summer leading up to the 2004-05 season.
    That was the same class as all everything Bobby Chalk wasn't it? I'd bet 1/3 of that recruiting class never made it 2 years in Ames. Started the downfall of ISU that carried right over into the Chizik years.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 661
    Given: 549

The fervor over Lazard is a little bit strange. I get it but I'm already sick of hearing about him.

Now, when he starts playing I'm all for hearing about him. I kind of feel bad for the unrealistic expectations put on him.

Rookie
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    The fervor over Lazard is a little bit strange. I get it but I'm already sick of hearing about him.

Now, when he starts playing I'm all for hearing about him. I kind of feel bad for the unrealistic expectations put on him.
    Putting unrealistic expectations on a young Iowa State commit..... No that doesn't sound like us fans at all.