Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 554
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 1

Last edited by crawfy54; 12-17-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 175

Re: Standing on hands...lose weight?

Quote Originally Posted by crawfy54 View Post
    So..I wrestle at 125 pounds, but our 119 wrestler did not show up Saturday morning for our tournament. So I thought what the heck I will try to lose 3 pounds in 3 hours (I weighed 122 that morning). So I jog for 15 minutes in the wrestling room and spit in a cup on the bus on the way to the tournament. When I get there, right before wiegh-ins I checked my wieght and I was 119.4. My coach suggested I stand on my hands..that I will lose the weight. So I thought what the heck why not. When I weighed in roughly 3 minutes later I was 118.9.

I have no idea how this worked...does anyone have a logical reason?
    Has something to do with the blood rushing to your head (that weird feeling you get in your head), and then as your standing back up again the blood flowing back down into your body negates the weight of the blood. I don't know how accurate that is, but that's how it was explained to me in wrestling when I was in HS.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 19

Gray matter or old earwax draining out of your ears...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Has something to do with the blood rushing to your head (that weird feeling you get in your head), and then as your standing back up again the blood flowing back down into your body negates the weight of the blood. I don't know how accurate that is, but that's how it was explained to me in wrestling when I was in HS.

I don't know...thinking about this from a force balance perspective....i suppose i could imagine standing upside down would increase the amount of the blood flowing upwards in your body for a short while and thus that volume of blood would be opposing the force of gravity and "cause you to weigh less".

However what your coach is saying...the extra blood flowing back out of your head negating the weight of your blood...doesnt make sense....extra blood flowing down would not be opposing the force of gravity...

Hopefully that made sense to someone hehe

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by pthebutcher View Post

I don't know...thinking about this from a force balance perspective....i suppose i could imagine standing upside down would increase the amount of the blood flowing upwards in your body for a short while and thus that volume of blood would be opposing the force of gravity and "cause you to weigh less".

However what your coach is saying...the extra blood flowing back out of your head negating the weight of your blood...doesnt make sense....extra blood flowing down would not be opposing the force of gravity...

Hopefully that made sense to someone hehe
    Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

With all that blood in your head and your dehydration you couldn't read the scale right ... the ref and you coach just played along to try to mess with you.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 175

Just to clarify - I never had to do it. I weighed anywhere between 235-255 all throughout HS, and that was back when the heavyweight class ranged from 190-275. Back in HS I never even been close to having to cut weight to wrestle that evening (one reason why it's great being a heavyweight). I just observed other teammates pulling stuff like that (sitting in a spa the night before, running in 3+ layers of sweats, sitting on the toilet for a half an hour, standing on their head, etc.) and that was the explanation I was given.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Umm what? How does that change what you weigh? The best bet is to pee pee pee and pee, do anything you can to get as much waste out of your body as possible.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 31

I did this a couple times in high school when I was just over, and it seemed to work (wrestled between 130 and 145). The key was always to get on the scale right away. I've also see guys weigh in holding their hands in the air right as they step on the scale.

I'm not completely sure why it works, though. I could see your coach being somewhat right about the blood flowing downward. Your weight is based on the acceleration that gravity places on the mass of your body. When you stand on your head, there is a higher concentration of mass toward your head than normal. When you go right side up, that blood takes a little bit of time to flow downward because of gravity.

Although the blood flowing downward would not be nearly as fast, look at it this way. Imagine you are standing on a big scale with a bucket of water and a really tall tower. If you hold the water in the bucket, you weight Wtotal. The water weighs Wwater. Now, if while on the scale, you dump the water out of the bucket while up high and into another bucket on the ground. Before and after the pour, the weight the scale reads is Wtotal because the water is included in the system. However, while the water is in the air, the weight will be Wwater less than Wtotal because gravity is causing movement of the water, and there is no reactionary upward force.

Not that your own blood leaves your system when weighing in. But the extra blood in your head will actually flow downward instead of staying relatively constant like your body normally does.

Does this make sense? Or am I overanalyzing it? I would probably never have believed it if I hadn't done it myself.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 31

Oh, but I forgot to mention.

As a former wrestler and current coach, don't depend on shedding 3 lbs the day of and standing on your head to make weight. Good diet (not starving, but small portions of healthy foods), lots of water, and hard workouts will take it off by itself.

Even doing all these things, I used to sweat 3-5 lbs in an average practice. Keep doing it and you will see your "base" weight go down over time. What I don't recommend doing is stupid stuff like 11 lbs in 24 hrs (been there, done that, not fun). I know some college wrestlers probably push that, but it's extremely difficult, not to mention dangerous.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You definitely have trouble eating while you are standing on your hands....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Sounds like a suggestion for Myth Busters.

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have heard about this myth and on eof my good friends tried it at a tournament and he actually weighed more when he got back on the scale. i think this is just a complete myth and if it works its just a fluke or maybe it the excess sweat dripping off of you but other than that it really doesn't work

dan k

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 969
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

You change change your mass without "giving up" something. Standing on your hands would do nothing. Assume your body to be a control volume. If nothing leaves it, your mass hasn't changed. More likely, it was an inaccuracy of the scale.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    You change change your mass without "giving up" something. Standing on your hands would do nothing. Assume your body to be a control volume. If nothing leaves it, your mass hasn't changed. More likely, it was an inaccuracy of the scale.
    Not that I necessarily believe the myth, but weight and mass are not the same thing. A scale measures your weight, not your mass.