Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 209
  1. #76
    Legend
    Points: 206,509, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,403
    Points
    206,509
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,070
    Given: 782

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    Tweet from Duaron Williams - OL for Iowa State:

    Big Dawg Williams @UntamedBigDawg
    Same here ✊✊ RT @KaiwanLewis_USC: I'm def on board with former northwestern QB @kaincolter_2 something's gotta be done



  2. #77
    Rookie
    Points: 7,332, Level: 25
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    380
    Points
    7,332
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 4

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by CYEATHAWK View Post
    So can the players go out on strike?
    If it came to where student athletes are deemed to be "employees of a public institution" like a state university like Iowa State,Iowa or Nebraska,by the federal government, then they can join or form a union,go thru collective bargaining and if they don't like the terms of said bargaining then they can go on strike.



  3. #78
    Addict
    Points: 80,716, Level: 88
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,234
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    6,476
    Points
    80,716
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 674
    Given: 196

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Have any of you guys actually read the list of stuff they talked about? It doesn't involve money at all beyond realistic full cost of attendance scholarships.

    You're getting all mad at an imaginary argument.

    Here's the list of what the players are going for with this
    problem is if they are allowed to unionize, it doesn't stop here. where there is money to be made, union leaders will exploit it.

    as for this list, i think they can form a discussion with NCAA on these topics and have them addressed without unionizing.

    - brain injuries and medical care should be something the NCAA should just do.
    - heavan sakes the scholarship in the Nebraska situation covers the costs of the education. if the kid wants to travel home, that should be an expense the family can deal with - they are saving $150K (figuring 5 years of school).
    - increase graduation rates...........that's a you thing, not a me thing. if kids don't want to graduate, you can't force them. Let's face it, there is a percentage of kids if it was not for sports probably would not go to college. Sports gives them an opportunity to get an education, if they don't want to take it upon themselves to better themselves that's their problem (Good thing Obama just raised the min wage).
    - i think if a kid signs a LOI to play sports there is should be guarenteed for 4 years, not one. But if one school does it, then the rest wil follow.
    - you cannot allow players from benefiting from commerical opportunities, you will then just have the biggest boosters basically giving corporate signing bonuses to the best players. Yeah Vaughn, if you come to ISU you can star in our new corn fertizler commerical, we will pay you $100K per commerical. They are working and being paid in the form of a $30K education. Beats min wage.
    -if you get rid of the transfer rules, you are going to have a lot more tampering. the kids are supposed to be picking the school based on what they want to study, not who the coach is or how much playing time. if they want to transfer to play somewhere else, they should sit out a year (exceptions for family medical issues).



  4. #79
    Addict
    Points: 80,716, Level: 88
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,234
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    6,476
    Points
    80,716
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 674
    Given: 196

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by CYEATHAWK View Post
    So can the players go out on strike?
    they can now, but they just lose their scholarship and probably drop out of school.

    what's happens to you if you don't show up to work tomorrow? Do you get fired?



  5. #80
    All-Star
    Points: 26,870, Level: 50
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    drednot57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    1,837
    Points
    26,870
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 129

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    How can the athletes be deemed "employees of a public institution" if they're not being paid a salary by said institution? Scholarships, I strongly suspect, are legally a different form of compensation. My question to the college athletes wanting to unionize; when was the last time you filed a W-2, or a tax return as a result of playing the sport of your choice? Are these players going to argue that the institutions they play for treat them as defacto employees, therefore the schools must compensate them with a portion of AD revenues as a salary? I think the only way the athletes can legally form a labor union is to have their legal status changed. Students are not laborers.

    Could the question of protection against long term injury be settled with something like a insurance corp. specifically for that purpose? A portion of revenues generated by these athletes could pay into the corp. which would fulfill the role insuring players against these types of injuries. Something like that could be negotiated with the NCAA without the players being directly compensated.


    Last edited by drednot57; 01-30-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    rocks!

  6. #81
    Addict
    Points: 132,951, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    8,182
    Points
    132,951
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 141

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    Chris Emma ‏@CEmmaScout Wow ... @CAPAssociation wins its case at the NLRB. College athletes are on their way to a union. Victory for ex-Northwestern QB Kain Colter.



  7. #82
    Pro
    Points: 51,581, Level: 70
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 969
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,837
    Points
    51,581
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    This could really help Hoiberg's Free Agent Market...should really help us out in basketball...

    Don't know if I need a pirate here or not...

    Actually think that this is a horrible step forward for college athletics.


    Last edited by pyrocyz; 03-26-2014 at 02:19 PM.

  8. #83
    Addict
    Points: 125,901, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    9,898
    Points
    125,901
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,997
    Given: 1,468

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    how? fgfg


    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.

  9. #84
    Legend
    Points: 370,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    14,811
    Points
    370,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,936
    Given: 1,286

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    Aaaannnd there goes college sports as we know it?



    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55dB View Post
    I <3 yoga pants.

  10. #85
    Addict
    Points: 98,459, Level: 97
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    8,833
    Points
    98,459
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 583
    Given: 181

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    So, what does this mean?



  11. #86
    Starter
    Points: 7,793, Level: 26
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    AuH2O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    758
    Points
    7,793
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 0

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    problem is if they are allowed to unionize, it doesn't stop here. where there is money to be made, union leaders will exploit it.

    as for this list, i think they can form a discussion with NCAA on these topics and have them addressed without unionizing.

    - brain injuries and medical care should be something the NCAA should just do.
    - heavan sakes the scholarship in the Nebraska situation covers the costs of the education. if the kid wants to travel home, that should be an expense the family can deal with - they are saving $150K (figuring 5 years of school).
    - increase graduation rates...........that's a you thing, not a me thing. if kids don't want to graduate, you can't force them. Let's face it, there is a percentage of kids if it was not for sports probably would not go to college. Sports gives them an opportunity to get an education, if they don't want to take it upon themselves to better themselves that's their problem (Good thing Obama just raised the min wage).
    - i think if a kid signs a LOI to play sports there is should be guarenteed for 4 years, not one. But if one school does it, then the rest wil follow.
    - you cannot allow players from benefiting from commerical opportunities, you will then just have the biggest boosters basically giving corporate signing bonuses to the best players. Yeah Vaughn, if you come to ISU you can star in our new corn fertizler commerical, we will pay you $100K per commerical. They are working and being paid in the form of a $30K education. Beats min wage.
    -if you get rid of the transfer rules, you are going to have a lot more tampering. the kids are supposed to be picking the school based on what they want to study, not who the coach is or how much playing time. if they want to transfer to play somewhere else, they should sit out a year (exceptions for family medical issues).
    Perfect post. The only other thing I will add is that because the justification for this action is that the players are generating revenue for the university I propose this. Because all but the two deep in football and rotation in men's bball are financial drains on the university they should not only have their schollies revoked but should have to pay fees to cover their expenses.



  12. #87
    Pro
    Points: 51,957, Level: 70
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,275
    Points
    51,957
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 604
    Given: 591

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    The NCAA (and its member schools) brought all of this on themselves. The realignment drama of the past few years have made it very clear that college athletics are about money, not amateurism.

    They asked for this, in fact begged for it.



  13. #88
    Legend
    Points: 165,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    12,865
    Points
    165,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,523
    Given: 1,988

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    I wouldn't freak out too much - keep in mind that any football player's union would include everybody from Alabama down to every other FBS school (possibly further). So any rules they propose or things they fight for are as likely to benefit a mid tier player like Iowa State than hurt us.



  14. #89
    Legend
    Points: 165,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    12,865
    Points
    165,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,523
    Given: 1,988

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    The NCAA (and its member schools) brought all of this on themselves. The realignment drama of the past few years have made it very clear that college athletics are about money, not amateurism.

    They asked for this, in fact begged for it.
    Pretty much.



  15. #90
    Starter
    Points: 21,034, Level: 44
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 616
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Althetuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    879
    Points
    21,034
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 53

    Re: This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    I wouldn't freak out too much - keep in mind that any football player's union would include everybody from Alabama down to every other FBS school (possibly further). So any rules they propose or things they fight for are as likely to benefit a mid tier player like Iowa State than hurt us.
    Not sure this is accurate as different states have different rules for public employee unions.


    I used to be cool. Now... I secretly listen to Abba in my car.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM