Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 91

Thread: Legal question

  1. #46
    Starter
    Points: 12,961, Level: 34
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    JWIL4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    753
    Points
    12,961
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 15

    Re: Legal question

    NEVER talk to the police under any circumstances if you are being suspected of a crime. If they call again just ask if they have a warrant for your arrest and if they don't, tell them to **** off.



  2. #47
    Pro
    Points: 58,724, Level: 75
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,622
    Points
    58,724
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 123

    Re: Legal question

    Next time you run over mailboxes pick them up and sink them in the ocean, ala Dexter.



    "We don't have thugs." - Fran McCaffery

  3. #48
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 360,031, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    23,027
    Points
    360,031
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 581

    Re: Legal question

    Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    However, you can't modify the date the file or photo was originally created.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  4. #49
    Legend
    Points: 215,753, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    cowgirl836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    12,980
    Points
    215,753
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 1,277

    Re: Legal question

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    There's nothing. Even if they file, I can't imagine a prosecutor (unless they're a total moron) would try to go anywhere with that charge.

    I wondered where you you were. I'd probably listen to ^^ this guy. He plays a lawyer on this site.


    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Next time you see them take a swing at the biggest one to assert your dominance.
    then stare them straight in the eyes. Alpha always wins.



  5. #50
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 244,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    17,397
    Points
    244,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 812
    Given: 790

    Re: Legal question

    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    I wondered where you you were. I'd probably listen to ^^ this guy. He plays a lawyer on this site.




    then stare them straight in the eyes. Alpha always wins.

    True. They eyes are the groin of the head.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  6. #51
    Legend
    Points: 277,600, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,949
    Points
    277,600
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

    Re: Legal question

    Quote Originally Posted by AIBClone View Post
    Yesterday morning a cop shows up and asks me if I hit something(Yes a deer in 2012. Truck is a piece so of course not worth the fix it.) I said yes and explained the situation. Asked him what the problem was as I was asked about it 2 months ago when I was pulled over for a headlight out. Anyhow, today he damn near beats my door down, but I slept through it. He leaves his business card so I call him later. Meet him at Polk County, puts me in his car and reads me my rights. Starts showing me pictures of a mailbox that got knocked down the other night. I of course told him where I was and let him know that I had about 10 witnesses to prove it. So he takes me inside where a detective grills me for about 10 minutes before she gives up. Says they will press charges and I walk out the front door and go home. Should I be worried or were they just trying to scare me to get me to admit to a crime I didnt commit or do they really have something here? Should I lawyer up? They say the tracks match my truck and it happened 2 blocks from my house. I have somebody with me from 6:30 til the next day. Not sure when the crime happened.
    Wait, so they read you your rights, and then threatened to press charges right before letting you walk out the door? I thought once you were read your rights, that meant that you were under arrest and that charges were inevitable? At least that is what I have gathered from my many years of watching Law and Order...



  7. #52
    Rookie
    Points: 22,922, Level: 46
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Tri4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    589
    Points
    22,922
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 145

    Re: Legal question

    I made the mistake of talking to cops when I was 19 while trying to help them...little did I know that they were lying to me and subsequently pressed charges against me. I wouldn't say **** without a lawyer present.


    "I'm not vain...I'm awesome" - Me

  8. #53
    Addict
    Points: 91,560, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,590
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,447
    Points
    91,560
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 155

    Re: Legal question

    OP, if you've never watched this video, take a peak. You must know your rights! While this isn't the same situation as yours, it illustrates the importance of knowing your rights as an American citizen so you are not unfairly treated by the police.

    This is very interesting situation showing a young guy at a police traffic checkpoint last July 4th. Warning: while you're learning something, this might make you mad too:

    4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, while Innocent - YouTube


    CCG

  9. #54
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,175, Level: 77
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CycoCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    4,632
    Points
    62,175
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 159

    Re: Legal question

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    OP, if you've never watched this video, take a peak. You must know your rights! While this isn't the same situation as yours, it illustrates the importance of knowing your rights as an American citizen so you are not unfairly treated by the police.

    This is very interesting situation showing a young guy at a police traffic checkpoint last July 4th. Warning: while you're learning something, this might make you mad too:

    4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, while Innocent - YouTube
    that is ******* scary


    John Walters is my hero

  10. #55
    Pro
    Points: 41,861, Level: 63
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CapnCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,387
    Points
    41,861
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 123

    Re: Legal question

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    OP, if you've never watched this video, take a peak. You must know your rights! While this isn't the same situation as yours, it illustrates the importance of knowing your rights as an American citizen so you are not unfairly treated by the police.

    This is very interesting situation showing a young guy at a police traffic checkpoint last July 4th. Warning: while you're learning something, this might make you mad too:

    4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, while Innocent - YouTube
    Yeah, and that guy was an average white male. You can see how easily it is for someone to be pulled over and then "trapped" by questions or being scared.

    One of my regrets from a few years back, it was late on a Sunday night (about 10PM) and I was driving home after visiting my now wife. I was leaving a small town in southern Nebraska and got pulled over (they said I was going like 40 in a 35...as I increased speed to go 55 out of town). I had out of state plates and these two cops (small town, probably ages 25-30?) questioned me...yeah, TWO cops in a town of probably 1,000 people.

    I gave my info as requested, but the one guy was poking around and did a "do you mind if we look in your car?" In hindsight, wish I would have just said no, but having nothing to hide I said "sure" as I just wanted to get home as I had about an hour left on my way home (and it had been a long night...hit a dog on the way home!).

    They proceeded to open my duffle bags and look through them...I also had a guitar and they said, "what's in there?" as they pointed at the case...me, 'a guitar' and, surprise, that's what was in the case when they opened it. I shared exactly where I was coming from/going to.

    Anyway, I REALLY wish I would have just not talked...just because in hindsight, i would have loved to see them try to figure out what to do with me.



  11. #56
    Addict
    Points: 157,408, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,981
    Points
    157,408
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 797
    Given: 9

    Re: Legal question

    In my line of work I see alot of disgusting police tactics that are used to coerce people into giving confessions. Just the other day I listened to a interrogation where the investigator convinced a juvenile that he had done the community a favor by destroying a piece of property, as everyone in the neighboorhood hated it anyway. Moral of the story, do not talk to the police. If they charge you and a prosectuor feels they have a case against you, get a lawyer then. Talking to the police will only strengthen any case they have against you, as a judge can never infer guilt from you invoking your right to remain silent.



  12. #57
    Speechless
    Points: 188,930, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,637
    Points
    188,930
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

    Re: Legal question

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post
    Yeah, and that guy was an average white male. You can see how easily it is for someone to be pulled over and then "trapped" by questions or being scared.

    One of my regrets from a few years back, it was late on a Sunday night (about 10PM) and I was driving home after visiting my now wife. I was leaving a small town in southern Nebraska and got pulled over (they said I was going like 40 in a 35...as I increased speed to go 55 out of town). I had out of state plates and these two cops (small town, probably ages 25-30?) questioned me...yeah, TWO cops in a town of probably 1,000 people.

    I gave my info as requested, but the one guy was poking around and did a "do you mind if we look in your car?" In hindsight, wish I would have just said no, but having nothing to hide I said "sure" as I just wanted to get home as I had about an hour left on my way home (and it had been a long night...hit a dog on the way home!).

    They proceeded to open my duffle bags and look through them...I also had a guitar and they said, "what's in there?" as they pointed at the case...me, 'a guitar' and, surprise, that's what was in the case when they opened it. I shared exactly where I was coming from/going to.

    Anyway, I REALLY wish I would have just not talked...just because in hindsight, i would have loved to see them try to figure out what to do with me.
    In my younger days I got my car searched a few times, by town cops, they just would start looking around in it I didn't know better at the time. Good thing they were dumbasses.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  13. #58
    Addict
    Points: 103,774, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    6,129
    Points
    103,774
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 95

    Re: Legal question

    Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    However, you can't modify the date the file or photo was originally created.
    Never tried it before, but couldnt you save on to thumb drive. Change the date on your computer to the desired date, drag file back over from the thumb drive?



  14. #59
    All-Star
    Points: 204,049, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TruClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eldridge, IA
    Posts
    1,457
    Points
    204,049
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 157

    Re: Legal question

    Don't do anything until you hear from Clones21!



  15. #60
    Addict
    Points: 186,425, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,623
    Points
    186,425
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 83

    Re: Legal question

    Quote Originally Posted by JWIL4CY View Post
    NEVER talk to the police under any circumstances if you are being suspected of a crime. If they call again just ask if they have a warrant for your arrest and if they don't, tell them to **** off.
    I don't think I'd word it like that.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM