Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 8

Into The Wild

Went to the Varsity Theatre in campustown Fri. nite (my first trip back since I saw Jeremiah Johnson there during my college days in the early 70's). Fascinating kid, great book and great movie, but there were only about 10 other people there. Hasn't anybody else read the book or seen the movie?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Re: Into The Wild

I read the book a few years ago.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 268

Big movie currently at box office is I am Legend with $70M. Other movies are much lower in attendance.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Alaskaguy-How did you like the book and did you see the movie? I thought I read where a lot of people in Alaska thought he was a kook and could have expected to die out in the Alaska wilderness. I'll admit he sounded a little out there, but from the book he seemed like a pretty sharp but mixed up kid with the guts to do something some of us only dreamed about doing before getting into the rat race. He seemed to make a strong and good impression on many of the people he met along the way.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Alaskaguy-How did you like the book and did you see the movie? I thought I read where a lot of people in Alaska thought he was a kook and could have expected to die out in the Alaska wilderness. I'll admit he sounded a little out there, but from the book he seemed like a pretty sharp but mixed up kid with the guts to do something some of us only dreamed about doing before getting into the rat race. He seemed to make a strong and good impression on many of the people he met along the way.
    I read the book and what was intriguing was the dichotomy between him being an adventurer with wanderlust and being naive and kind of oblivious to what it would take to live in the wilderness of Alaska.

Great book, and I have heard good things about the movie...I plan to rent it when it comes out.

Unsolicited book recommendation: If you like polar expedition tales (similar to Into the Wild in its bleakness and adventuring spirit) read Mawson's Will.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

This is different than that hilarious movie about the hippie who went out to hang with grizzly bears until they ate him, isn't it?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'll look up that book. You may want to read "Into Thin Air" if you haven't already. It's also by John Krakaeur (same author as Into The Wild) and it's the true story of a Mount Everest expedition in the early-mid 90's when about 8-9 people died on the mountain during a storm. Krakaeur was on the expedition writing for Outdoor Magazine and it's every bit as good as Into The Wild imo. There was an IMAX film that told a lot of the story as they were filming one day behind the Krakaeur expedition and helped save some lives.

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 568

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    This is different than that hilarious movie about the hippie who went out to hang with grizzly bears until they ate him, isn't it?
    LOL! Grizzly Man was so funny...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Jumbopackage-I think you're talking about Grizzly Man. I'll agree that kid was half nuts, but if you saw the movie I think you'll admit he had a pair. I liked Into The Wild a lot more as it was more of a movie and less documentary, and grizzly man seemed like more of a documentary. There are some similiarities in that both of these guys seemed to be trying to work some things out in their lives and in their heads. I think Grizzly Man expected to die someday, but the sad thing about the kid in The Wild is when he got things figured out and was ready to come home, some bad luck did him in. I really grew to like the character (as most people did that knew him), and the ending made it a haunting book and movie.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

We only have one theater and "Into the Wild" has yet to make it here. Some movies never make it.

The majority opinion is that the guy was nuts. Most people probably hold that opinion because it is a major expense for many communities for their search and rescue missions to go and find these types of guys. Most of the search and rescue missions are for people went on journeys but were poorly prepared. For example its an annual event, that our local dentist gets lost every winter and half the town goes out searching for him.

Last edited by alaskaguy; 12-16-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Jumbopackage-I think you're talking about Grizzly Man. I'll agree that kid was half nuts, but if you saw the movie I think you'll admit he had a pair.
    There's a big difference between having a pair, and being crazy. Crazy people don't understand what they are doing is crazy. People with a pair know what they are doing is crazy, and do it anyway.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

When the dude in Grizzly Man pushed it far enough to finally get eaten I think he had gone completely crazy, and it wasn't a long trip. The Werner Herzog narration is also quite awesome. If you like Grizzly Man, check out "Little Dieter Needs to Fly". It's a documentary about the guy that "Rescue Dawn" is based on. It was worth the rental.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Jumbopackage- I agree the kid was crazy in a lot of people's opinion, but just "out there" to others. The guy did live with the bears during the summer for something like 10 years and would give presentations at schools back in the states during the winter. He had made a livelihood out of living with grizzly bears and had to know quite a bit about what he was doing. He's certainly not the only guy to befriend grizzly bears, though most of the others have raised them since they were cubs. The kid sure marched to a different drummer, but based on the movie I wouldn't put him in the "truly nuts" category. He knew what he was doing, including the risk, and it was something I doubt many of us would have the balls to do.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 325

Haven't really heard too much about Into the Wild yet, but if you want to see a really great movie, go check out No Country For Old Men. Holy crap that was a great movie. Just when you think you've seen every weapon possible on the silver screen the bad guy in this movie breaks out a shotgun with a silencer fixed to it. It's also #15 on imdb.com's top 250 of all time (and it's the registered user's votes, not just the critics, that determine this ranking).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 296

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    We only have one theater and "Into the Wild" has yet to make it here. Some movies never make it.

The majority opinion is that the guy was nuts. Most people probably hold that opinion because it is a major expense for many communities for their search and rescue missions to go and find these types of guys. Most of the search and rescue missions are for people went on journeys but were poorly prepared. For example its an annual event, that our local dentist gets lost every winter and half the town goes out searching for him.
    I was interested in how Sean Penn would portray the kid? Some see the kid as a hero because he was anti-society...which I could partially understand. I think Sean Penn portrayed him in the film in this light. A sad character but represented good in the film. The book is certainly more objective.

Overall, judging by the book and the film, I do feel sympathy for the kid because he struggled to be happy and suffered from an unhappy childhood. That said, he was more than arrogant or maybe naive to think he could wander into the Alaskan wilderness and survive!

I guess I "enjoyed" the film...but it is depressing! I liked "The Assassination of Jesse James" much more!