Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 3

Re: "Bad Fans"

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    It's going to be fun.

But I wish people would remember that these players read this stuff and it is a lot harder to ignore than you would think. How many of us think to ourselves that we should ignore the posters that irritate us, but yet keep reading their stuff? Same thing with a 20 year old college kid.

If everyone thinks before they post and ask themselves if they would want their kid reading it, it would be better. It doesn't mean that you can't say Iowa State played bad. Or they are struggling. Or hell even say that Matt is struggling. But it should mean that you should realize that EVERY player is trying their best and that a slump does not mean that the player will forever suck.
    THANK YOU! or their kid's PARENT! Tuesday ended up being an extremely emotional day but not because of the loss or not playing well but because of the backlash that followed from the people you thought cared the most about you. And having a thick skin has nothing to do with it. Criticism comes with the territory but some people's reactions were completely over the top. There are "Bad fans"!

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 261

I agree, but I also think that you need to think before you lose your **** on message boards as well. We all have moments, but in general it's always good to remember that calling out individual players is never, ever a good thing. And that happens PLENTY on here.
    Read a game thread sometime. Some people have a dramatic inability to cope.

Faster than a stallion. Meaner than a hungry hound.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,288
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 43

Quote Originally Posted by CurvedAir View Post
    I see no difference at all. Public personal attacks are not appropriate in any forum.
    Agree

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoCyclone View Post
    We gots a link for this press conference?
    LOL.. yea Cyclones.tv

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,556
    Given: 279

I agree, but I also think that you need to think before you lose your **** on message boards as well. We all have moments, but in general it's always good to remember that calling out individual players is never, ever a good thing. And that happens PLENTY on here.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about players who aren't performing well, but it should never get personal and it certainly shouldn't lead to people seeking out to confront players whether it's on the street or via Twitter or whatever.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,288
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 43

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesFan View Post
    THANK YOU! or their kid's PARENT! Tuesday ended up being an extremely emotional day but not because of the loss or not playing well but because of the backlash that followed from the people you thought cared the most about you. And having a thick skin has nothing to do with it. Criticism comes with the territory but some people's reactions were completely over the top. There are "Bad fans"!
    That sucks to hear, we wouldn't even be in position to be this good without Georges. People are going to have bad games.

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 712
    Given: 1,117

It is definitely something freshmen in the past have not had to deal with, mostly in regard to twitter. That said, guys like Jake Sullivan were driven in part because he thought everyone was against him.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 176

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Love it - Fred calls out the worst of CF (and beyond). Now I'm waiting for their half-baked defenses of their actions. A few have already showed up here.
    I'm not defending anything that specifically calls out a player. Especially twitter stalking and stuff like that. I wish it would stop, but players also have to realize they are public figures. As much as they don't deserve any of the negative stuff fans say, it's going to happen, there are idiots out there, so sometimes the best thing to do is just shut it off and avoid it.

The other bad part is, it's usually the ****** off people who are most vocal. I deal with it every day. I'm constantly getting emails from co-workers that "customerx@whomever.com" didn't get his email, he's ******, obviously there is a problem with the way you coded the emails, so you have to go in and fix it right away." The whole time, no one realizes the other 150,000 emails we sent that day went and arrived just fine. They just didn't happen to email back and thank us for sending them more advertising. Social media seems to be very similar. All it takes is a couple squeaky wheels and it seems like the world is caving in around you. The rest of the people are still good fans, they just don't happen to post every day to say how much they support you.

Is it right, no, but it is reality and it's going to happen. Best to just shut it off sometimes. We can't control idiots, that seems pretty evident in just about everything about this world today.

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

I agree with Fred. We seem to have many whiny fans that like to call out players. Also, I don't think the mods on here are quick enough to shut down threads when people are criticizing players. It's all about page views and advertising dollars. Cyclonefanatic has a responsibility to do a better job of controlling this.

Last edited by CyItIs; 01-20-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,034
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesFan View Post
    Well that is disappointing to hear about Tuesday. I'll admit to having my not so proud moments on here, but I try to keep my fits to team stuff and not individual players. Stupid Kansas does bring out the worst in us, but that is really no excuse.

I hope they all know that there are tons of fans who have had so much fun this year watching them play and they have already added several great Iowa State memories. And I am so excited for Saturday :)

Make sure they know to keep their heads up to keep fighting hard. I've seen nothing in these 17 games that makes me feel bad about the guys on the team and I hope they (and you) know that.

By the way, Georges had a class with my sister last semester and she said he was the nicest guy. You've got a good one!

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 607

Stay strong, team! Keep working hard, CyclONEnation is behind you. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch (how's that for sounding old and out of date?).

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,034
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Die4Cy View Post
    Read a game thread sometime. Some people have a dramatic inability to cope.
    Hell, during a game I have a dramatic inability to cope. You could read my history on here and I've said some pretty stupid ****. But even when I'm being stupid, I try to keep it to the team. I just don't think it is ever OK to call out players individually. I guess I think it is different saying 'This team sucks' and 'xxx player sucks'. Both are obviously overstating, but one is aimed at an individual.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

I like Matt Thomas, and I have never wrote anything negative about the Freshman player on here. He is an outstanding shooter! I really think he is working through a lot of Freshman jitters this season that you are NOT seeing to the degree as Monte Morris.

His shooting form/release is really the best I have seen in a long time!
    He has excellent shooting mechanics much like current Phoenix Suns coach Jeff Hornacek. For whatever reason, I think he has lost some confidence. Believe me, be patient he will be a good one..

Legend
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 2,058

The Twitter mentions directly to players (both our guys and opposing players) is way worse than anything posted on here. I cannot believe when I see people bashing someone and actually mentioning (Twitter mentioning) them in the tweet. It's pathetic and you're a loser if you indulge in that type of behavior and deserve a real life *** kicking.

Last edited by The_Architect; 01-20-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 5

Every fan base has negative social media. Every. Single. One. Go look at twitter when Texas or OU lose a game.

I'm not excusing the negative name calling. I just don't think its a fair expectation that it not exist. Its fairly tame at ISU. But, if thats what FH is looking for, Gilbert Middle School girls basketball might be a better choice.