Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 0

Re: "Bad Fans"

Anyone who tweets players and calls them out is a d-bag. And anyone on here that takes personal shots at individual players is also a d-bag. Pretty simple.

BUT.... it happens everywhere. In fact, it sounds like at ISU it's pretty tame really compared to some places. That doesn't make it right, but it does mean that in today's world as a high profile college athlete... that's what you had better expect and anticipate.

These same players also get a free education (valued at around $100,000 or more), they get to travel for free to places like Europe last year, Hawaii this year, and if they make the NCAA or bowl games in football they also receive "gift packages" too that normal students don't get. Not to mention they are treated like heroes all over campus too. So there are definitely some "perks" that go along with it.

This to me sounds more just like a frustrated head coach coming off of a 3 game losing streak to me. You didn't hear Fred complaining about all the "bad" fans when we were 14-0 and these same "bad" fans were camping out for days just to watch your team play.

As I said, I hate personal attacks. These guys are just college kids trying to go to school and play a sport at a high level. It's not easy. But as paying customers of this product, and it is a product and a huge money making business by the way, I think we have a right to voice our opinions as to why we think we're on a 3 game losing streak.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,025
    Given: 1,463

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Anyone who tweets players and calls them out is a d-bag. And anyone on here that takes personal shots at individual players is also a d-bag. Pretty simple.

BUT.... it happens everywhere. In fact, it sounds like at ISU it's pretty tame really compared to some places. That doesn't make it right, but it does mean that in today's world as a high profile college athlete... that's what you had better expect and anticipate.

These same players also get a free education (valued at around $100,000 or more), they get to travel for free to places like Europe last year, Hawaii this year, and if they make the NCAA or bowl games in football they also receive "gift packages" too that normal students don't get. Not to mention they are treated like heroes all over campus too. So there are definitely some "perks" that go along with it.

This to me sounds more just like a frustrated head coach coming off of a 3 game losing streak to me. You didn't hear Fred complaining about all the "bad" fans when we were 14-0 and these same "bad" fans were camping out for days just to watch your team play.

As I said, I hate personal attacks. These guys are just college kids trying to go to school and play a sport at a high level. It's not easy. But as paying customers of this product, and it is a product and a huge money making business by the way, I think we have a right to voice our opinions as to why we think we're on a 3 game losing streak.
    Fans don't bash players when they're winning. That's why you didn't hear it then.....

Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 34

I agree with most of what you said. But I could give a rat's *** about the "right" of a fan to complain when compared with the responsibility of being a respectful person that some fans seem to forget.

You obviously weren't defending people being unnecessary dicks. I guess I just get irritated sometimes when people over-value their rights and under-value their responsibilities.

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 34

God...it wasn't even that big of a deal. He mentioned that Matt probably didn't need to be on twitter when Matt obviously feels bad he isn't shooting better. He wasn't bashing fans in general or saying that there were a lot of them bashing them. It has nothing to do with Hoiberg being frustrated.

The discussion on here has been interesting and fun to have. But if you think that Hoiberg was railing against Iowa State fans, then you need to go watch his press conference. He wasn't having some huge philosophical discussion on the topics of message boards and twitter.

I, on the other hand, AM having that discussion on here.

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyArob View Post
    Fans don't bash players when they're winning. That's why you didn't hear it then.....
    Where have you been? Fans have been ripping on Matt Thomas for a month.

Legend
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,556
    Given: 609

I think there's a huge portion of this that is generational.

You've got the teen-somethings and twenty-somethings who do not remember life before the personal computer, and spent most of thier formative years in front of one or with one in their pockets for a majority of time, and feel comfortable with that anonymous internet communication style where you just put stuff out there with no consequences, you're just sharing your raw feelings.

You've got the fifty-somethings and up who spent a good chunk of life prior to computers, had to learn computers while on the job, or late in their schooling, and primary communication was interpersonal, and the desired action was that 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

The youngsters are more on the lines of blasting stuff, and if you don't like it, ignore it.
    The 50+'ers are the folks railing on them for doing it, and arguing that it is seen, it does not all get ignored, knock it off.

At least for me...I think there's a small sliver of the 35-45 year olds who are down the middle....(and of course, since I'm in the group, I think we're right )

We are old enough to remember life without computers...or at least where there wasn't one on every desk and in every home. Yet, a good part of our schooling involved interacting with computers...not all day every day, but I touched a computer regularly from 4th grade on. We started on internet chats in either late childhood or early adulthood, so understand the anonymous board posting, but have also been out in the world enough to know someone with e-mail who hit 'reply' instead of forward and then ranted about what someone said, or hit reply all and said something totally stupid...or got drunk and did something stupid and unfortunately ended up on the internet. It's not anonymous, it does have consequences...

but screaming at the morons doing it is just as dumb as doing it because they won't stop, people will always act stupid, and eventually they'll get themselves schooled at the "hard knocks academy" by acting that way. Yes, unfortunately in this case, it might hurt our beloved cyclones, but just as there's a sucker born every minute, there's a dozen idiots born every minute. And a wise man said to never argue with a moron...he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

I like Niang's reaction to the criticism. He came back and played a solid, all-around game, including some early 3 shots. Stay confident, play through it. We always want the ball in his hands and for him to feel free to make moves and take shots.

P.S. I think he played very hard against KU, especially on defense. He just missed a lot of shots. It happens. We don't like it, but it happens.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by CyArob View Post
    Thomas has taken a lot of heat almost all season long. So thats not exactly accurate.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 836
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 893
    Given: 18

Is this thread worth reading 4 pages?

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,118
    Given: 2,917

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    I think there's a huge portion of this that is generational.

You've got the teen-somethings and twenty-somethings who do not remember life before the personal computer, and spent most of thier formative years in front of one or with one in their pockets for a majority of time, and feel comfortable with that anonymous internet communication style where you just put stuff out there with no consequences, you're just sharing your raw feelings.

You've got the fifty-somethings and up who spent a good chunk of life prior to computers, had to learn computers while on the job, or late in their schooling, and primary communication was interpersonal, and the desired action was that 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

The youngsters are more on the lines of blasting stuff, and if you don't like it, ignore it.
    The 50+'ers are the folks railing on them for doing it, and arguing that it is seen, it does not all get ignored, knock it off.

At least for me...I think there's a small sliver of the 35-45 year olds who are down the middle....(and of course, since I'm in the group, I think we're right )

We are old enough to remember life without computers...or at least where there wasn't one on every desk and in every home. Yet, a good part of our schooling involved interacting with computers...not all day every day, but I touched a computer regularly from 4th grade on. We started on internet chats in either late childhood or early adulthood, so understand the anonymous board posting, but have also been out in the world enough to know someone with e-mail who hit 'reply' instead of forward and then ranted about what someone said, or hit reply all and said something totally stupid...or got drunk and did something stupid and unfortunately ended up on the internet. It's not anonymous, it does have consequences...

but screaming at the morons doing it is just as dumb as doing it because they won't stop, people will always act stupid, and eventually they'll get themselves schooled at the "hard knocks academy" by acting that way. Yes, unfortunately in this case, it might hurt our beloved cyclones, but just as there's a sucker born every minute, there's a dozen idiots born every minute. And a wise man said to never argue with a moron...he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    While I don't think civility should be a generational thing, there's a lot of truth in your characterizations.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,552
    Given: 277

Quote Originally Posted by CloneinWDSM View Post
    Is this thread worth reading 4 pages?
    I'd wait for the movie.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 99

Am I mistaken or are we still 14-3 and ranked in the Top 20?

Fanatic #25

Starter
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Am I mistaken or are we still 14-3 and ranked in the Top 20?
    I am mistaken or are we 6th out of ten in conference play?

Not saying it's indicative of the future, but just thought I'd even the talking points out. Another loss and the conference championship might be out of reach, and that's still a goal, is it not?

It's supposed to be a battle, not game over a few weeks in.

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 85

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    I agree with most of what you said. But I could give a rat's *** about the "right" of a fan to complain when compared with the responsibility of being a respectful person that some fans seem to forget.

You obviously weren't defending people being unnecessary dicks. I guess I just get irritated sometimes when people over-value their rights and under-value their responsibilities.
    How many rat's ***** could you give?

Legend
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,556
    Given: 609

Quote Originally Posted by IowaStateClones View Post
    How many rat's ***** could you give?
    Well "a" generally implies the singular, so I'd guess one. Otherwise, he'd have said "I could give rats' @****"