Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 1

3 point shooting, spacing, and the Cyclone offense

Fellas,

I started a week or so ago diving into the three point shooting that we're seeing from the team this year as compared to last year. Before the season I hypothesized a drop in performance so I wanted to take a look. I was mostly right, but due to other factors it was proven that the team is still making threes on a nearly as frequent basis as last year.

This task morphed into a look at all components of the offense compared to last year and toward the end I dove into what has been going wrong in the past three games. Take a look and I am interested in any comments or questions.

There is even a bar graph, and bar graphs are fun, right?

Shooting and Spacing |

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Starter
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 51

Re: 3 point shooting, spacing, and the Cyclone offense

I like bar graphs

Recruit
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Good analysis.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 575
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 56

That is awesome stuff. Thanks khaal

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 878
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 181

Great job. I wonder if the staff does a similar analysis?

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 196

wow - great job, but I need to print this out and study it like I did my Thermodynamics lectures.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 707
    Given: 1,085

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Great job. I wonder if the staff does a similar analysis?
    I am sure they do. Fred is an NBA guy so they are often mentioning and referring to advanced stats when discussing game plans.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,552
    Given: 277

Interesting stuff. Would have liked a pie chart though.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Interesting stuff. Would have liked a pie chart though.
    A pie chart would be my usual method for this, but I wanted to be able easily compare side by side with last year.

I suppose I could just make a pie chart for here, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 poss pie chart.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	24431

Last edited by khaal53; 01-21-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,300
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485
    Given: 477

Dude, I usually have to read your stuff twice to make sure I get it, but I am always impressed when I do. Great analysis! Thanks for the info (and for making me feel stupid).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,160
    Given: 2,019

mmmm... pie.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Good stuff khal.

The comparison of individual shooters is more informative. (although a 3% drop overall is significant imo). The two charts showing the top 5 shooters is telling, especially when ordered by 3P attempts rather than %. In other words, weighting the players 3P% to better reflect the influence of his accuracy (or lack thereof). Like you alluded to, it is much more important that guys ending a higher % of the possessions with 3P shots are your best shooters % wise (need to have guys that make defense consistently pay). Ordering those two charts that way and thinking about spacing, and you can just see the court getting smaller.

Another thing to consider is small-ball. A 3% drop is pretty big in small ball, as is your center and your main perimeter shooters all shooting significantly worse. Imo small-ball is conceding points on defense/rebounding because that number will be outpaced by the advantage on offense. That gets a lot harder when you are shooting worse on 3Ps and depending more 2P.

This does not even get into the subjective/qualitative "clutch" shooting, which is related to the question of whether you can trust stats stuffed on non-conference. Pomeroy's assessment is nice, but an answer to a different question, especially when a team relies on 3Ps to compensate.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 01-21-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Good stuff khal.

The comparison of individual shooters is more informative. (although a 3% drop overall is significant imo). The two charts showing the top 5 shooters is telling, especially when ordered by 3P attempts rather than %. In other words, weighting the players 3P% to better reflect the influence of his accuracy (or lack thereof). Like you alluded to, it is much more important that guys ending a higher % of the possessions with 3P shots are your best shooters % wise (need to have guys that make defense consistently pay). Ordering those two charts that way and thinking about spacing, and you can just see the court getting smaller.

Another thing to consider is small-ball. A 3% drop is pretty big in small ball, as is your center and your main perimeter shooters all shooting significantly worse. Imo small-ball is conceding points on defense/rebounding because that number will be outpaced by the advantage on offense. That gets a lot harder when you are shooting worse on 3Ps and depending more 2P.

This does not even get into the subjective/qualitative "clutch" shooting, which is related to the question of whether you can trust stats stuffed on non-conference. Pomeroy's assessment is nice, but an answer to a different question, especially when a team relies on 3Ps to compensate.
    Thanks.

As noted, when I started putting this together (prior to the OU game) this year's team was just 1% behind last year's from the three point line. They changed after a couple of pretty rough performances.

I think you make a good point about average attempts per game by player and the % they shoot and how that is different from last year.

I wouldn't necessarily agree about "small ball" and conceding points at the other end at a faster rate than small ball offense is scoring, thus negating the mismatch. First of, by adjusted defensive efficiency Iowa State is 21st in the country per Ken Pomeroy. That takes tempo and quality of opponents into consideration. That is as good as we have seen in some time and by far the best under Hoiberg.

Even the rebounding component which is necessary to complete the good defensive stops is there by rebounding 71.6% of misses on defense (52nd in the country). Admittedly, that has slipped in the past three games and ISU was the top defensive rebounding team in the country a couple of weeks ago. While the thought may be out there that ISU is now getting "exposed" against tougher competition I don't think that can be unequivocally proven right now. That would negate all of the solid rebounding in the first 14 games, which anomaly is more likely? All while noting that Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas are the 84th, 52nd, and 37th best offensive rebounding teams in the country, respectively.

Obviously, size can play a role in all of those areas. I don't think "small ball" or a lack of size is anywhere near mutually exclusive to being a poor defensive team or poor rebounding team.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily agree about "small ball" and conceding points at the other end at a faster rate than small ball offense is scoring, thus negating the mismatch. First of, by adjusted defensive efficiency Iowa State is 21st in the country per Ken Pomeroy. That takes tempo and quality of opponents into consideration. That is as good as we have seen in some time and by far the best under Hoiberg.

Even the rebounding component which is necessary to complete the good defensive stops is there by rebounding 71.6% of misses on defense (52nd in the country). Admittedly, that has slipped in the past three games and ISU was the top defensive rebounding team in the country a couple of weeks ago. While the thought may be out there that ISU is now getting "exposed" against tougher competition I don't think that can be unequivocally proven right now. That would negate all of the solid rebounding in the first 14 games, which anomaly is more likely? All while noting that Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas are the 84th, 52nd, and 37th best offensive rebounding teams in the country, respectively.

Obviously, size can play a role in all of those areas. I don't think "small ball" or a lack of size is anywhere near mutually exclusive to being a poor defensive team or poor rebounding team.
    That is not what I said, or meant to allude. Of course they are not mutually exclusive. One is moving down faster than the other is moving up (from some hypothetical benchmark)- overall "good" or "bad" of each quantity was not part of my statement.

In your opinion, do you go small because you are maximizing your defense and rebounding performance? Imo you should always be maximizing the net (of defense, rebounding, and offense). I think it is clear that Hoiberg thinks what he gets on offense by going small will on average be more than what he may lose on defense/rebounding. Again, this is not a statement on overall quality of any of those three, but the give and take between them.

Oh yes, on average. That average is greatly influence by competition. I know kenpom takes into account quality of opponents, but that is open to the same questioning right now. Let's see the comparison of season after conference play. Imo small-ball averages come with a higher variability- in other words your opponent matters more. It is like us seemingly always saying X player came into the game only shooting 30% from the outside. Was that 30% on open shots because all the other teams must also double everything in the post?

I am not certain how this year's small-ball defense improving over previous year's small-ball defense/rebounding is a rebuttal. That is only one part of the equation. It does bring up a question I have. Is our line-up really small-ball enough? Imo I think we could be caught in the middle. With Hogue, to a degree Kane, and Georges not shooting 3P well, we are not small-ball enough on offense, but still vulnerable to the weakness of small-ball on defense/rebouding against many teams (i.e good teams).

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 01-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 391

Nice write up. It's interesting to see actual statistics instead of 'gut feelings'.