Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 352

2014 Mock Draft

So I've been looking at mock drafts and Mel Kiper has Manziel going #1. What does everyone think about this?

Starter
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 81

Re: 2014 Mock Draft

Manziel #1 overall just makes no sense to me. Clowney or Bridgewater both look like much better pro prospects IMO. Manziel is small, obviously is not 100% committed to football, and will struggle against pro defenses who are much more fundamentally sound and athletic than the defenses he played against in college.

Someone will take him in the top 5 or trade up to get him to sell tickets, probably, but he will not be successful as an NFL quarterback long term. Think Vince Young 2.0.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 752
    Given: 1,575

Quote Originally Posted by ojoe2317 View Post
    Manziel #1 overall just makes no sense to me. Clowney or Bridgewater both look like much better pro prospects IMO. Manziel is small, obviously is not 100% committed to football, and will struggle against pro defenses who are much more fundamentally sound and athletic than the defenses he played against in college.

Someone will take him in the top 5 or trade up to get him to sell tickets, probably, but he will not be successful as an NFL quarterback long term. Think Vince Young 2.0.
    I don't think Vince Young is a good comp. Young had all the physical traits you need, he was just dumb as a rock.

I'm also not sure that Manziel isn't 100% committed to football, I've heard him described as a football or sports junkie more than once. It was clear, though, that he was not 100% committed to college.

I do think he's too small and relies on his feet too much to be a good NFL QB. I expect he'll spend most of his time injured. I think the best comp is somewhere between RGIII and Tebow. He's the type of player that will invariably drive a wedge between coaches and the ownership and between ownership and the fans.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

If you want to play this game Bridgewater weighs less then Manziel at 200 pounds, has an average arm, and played against weak to fair competition his entire career.

Clowney takes plays off, is more concerned about himself then winning, and had only 3 sacks his senior season.

Not saying Manziel is the clear number one, but you can make a case for him. I think this years draft is tough in that there are not any franchise changing players who should obviously go in the top 3. Much better to have a 4-9 pick this year.

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 59

Keep in mind that the Texans have the first pick. I think that they pretty much have to take him, as their fans will flip if he goes on to be good somewhere else and they passed on him.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

Russell Wilson is listed at 5-11 206. Manziel is listed at 6-1 210 on aTm's website. Now, I don't think he is actually 6-1, but he is very close in stature to Wilson and in fact, their games are very similar. In case you didn't notice, Wilson will be starting in the Super Bowl.

I don't think Maziel should be drafted #1, but the size thing is incredibly overblown.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 1,009

I think he should be the #1 pick. The guy is unreal at his craft. Does he rely on his feet a lot? Yes, but he will continue to learn the position. His talent is unparalleled in this draft. I don't think he will be a big distraction in the NFL and its been said many times his work ethic is very good. He's just cocky. Then again so is Richard Sherman, and outside of what you thought of his comments last night, its hard to argue against having a player of his caliber on your team.

Manziel will sell tickets, merchandise, and fan excitement. Not saying he'll be as good as Russell Wilson, but that comparison isn't out of line. The baggage with him is he already has his haters out there. He'll continue to silence them and will be a good QB for whatever team gets him (granted he stays healthy, which is an issue for sure)

Starter
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 704
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 352

I agree. I think the Texans will pick him up because they need a QB in a bad way. If it was any other team I would probably advise that Clowney would be the better choice. I think that with the draft order being basically set it's easier to determine who will be #1. The first round will be littered with great players though so no team should be hurting for a quality player no matter where they draft.

Addict
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,773
    Given: 2,772

Honestly, I think the Texans should trade back. I bet the Browns would give them a lot of picks to take Manziel #1. I think there are safer QB prospects in this draft than Manziel, and the Texans could get them.

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Keep in mind that the Texans have the first pick. I think that they pretty much have to take him, as their fans will flip if he goes on to be good somewhere else and they passed on him.
    If they want him that bad, they could probably trade down a few spots to get a better deal.

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 999
    Given: 952

Quote Originally Posted by cmjh10 View Post
    Honestly, I think the Texans should trade back. I bet the Browns would give them a lot of picks to take Manziel #1. I think there are safer QB prospects in this draft than Manziel, and the Texans could get them.
    Blake Bortles.

(added bonus, his GF comes with him)

Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 85