Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 80
  1. #31
    All-Star
    Points: 27,002, Level: 50
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,926
    Points
    27,002
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    This board is very uneducated about basketball. The moral of the story is our front court is undersized, and few and far between 3, because of that we threw a ton of double teams into our defense which became exhausting, which in turn had negative effects on other facets of the game (rebounding, shooting). Not trolling for ***** a-holes(look at my post history), just making an honest evaluation.



  2. #32
    Legend
    Points: 148,561, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,318
    Points
    148,561
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 187

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    Did you watch the game? You think 3 minutes more rest for Niang would have cured his game tonight? Was he tired at the start of the game and coming out at the half when kansas laid wood on us? Maybe they should use the bench more in pre-game warmups.
    He is fatigued in general. A seven man rotation has an accumulative impact, which is especially noticeable when you have a small team and you are playing Big 12 games 2 days apart. And yes, five minutes of Edozie or Gibson had zero opportunity cost tonight.



  3. #33
    Addict
    Points: 119,113, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    simply1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,236
    Points
    119,113
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    This board is very uneducated about basketball. The moral of the story is our front court is undersized, and few and far between 3, because of that we threw a ton of double teams into our defense which became exhausting, which in turn had negative effects on other facets of the game (rebounding, shooting). Not trolling for ***** a-holes(look at my post history), just making an honest evaluation.
    Surprised you aren't on the bench educating the staff about your findings.


    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

  4. #34
    Addict
    Points: 119,113, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    simply1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,236
    Points
    119,113
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    He is fatigued in general. A seven man rotation has an accumulative impact, which is especially noticeable when playing a Big 12 game 2 days later. And yes, five minutes of Edozie or Gibson had zero opportunity cost tonight.
    five minutes of either could have led to that 9-11 point lead being 15-20.


    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

  5. #35
    All-Star
    Points: 12,713, Level: 34
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cyinthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Iowa
    Posts
    1,212
    Points
    12,713
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    This board is very uneducated about basketball. The moral of the story is our front court is undersized, and few and far between 3, because of that we threw a ton of double teams into our defense which became exhausting, which in turn had negative effects on other facets of the game (rebounding, shooting). Not trolling for ***** a-holes(look at my post history), just making an honest evaluation.
    This guy gets it. Those who say we nobody mentioned the problems when we were 14-0 are dead wrong. This team has had the same issues all year. Lack of size and perimeter defense, which inevitably go hand in hand. Fred is a great coach, but it's time to have a little faith in your bench. There are some good players sitting there that are getting under-utilized.



  6. #36
    All-Star
    Points: 27,002, Level: 50
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,926
    Points
    27,002
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    Surprised you aren't on the bench educating the staff about your findings.
    Couch coach just like you I am sure.



  7. #37
    All-Star
    Points: 27,002, Level: 50
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,926
    Points
    27,002
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyinthenorth View Post
    This guy gets it. Those who say we nobody mentioned the problems when we were 14-0 are dead wrong. This team has had the same issues all year. Lack of size and perimeter defense, which inevitably go hand in hand. Fred is a great coach, but it's time to have a little faith in your bench. There are some good players sitting there that are getting under-utilized.
    One of the few, thanks!!



  8. #38
    Speechless
    Points: 352,818, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,494
    Points
    352,818
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    He is fatigued in general. A seven man rotation has an accumulative impact, which is especially noticeable when playing a Big 12 game 2 days later. And yes, five minutes of Edozie or Gibson had zero opportunity cost tonight.
    For some reason it didn't matter last year.

    I have said this numerous times before but Georges needs to find a way to be able to rebound. It's big liability when he's has to guard someone inside and he's our 4th best re bounder. This is going to happen when we play against size and when he shoots like he did tonight, he's a net liability. Given, he won't shoot like that probably again this year but it is what it is. I don't know if it's fatigue or what but he doesn't even look like he cares to rebound.

    I think Monte needs to see as much time as anyone out there with Kane at the two. I thought defensively he did great things like he has all year and he is the only one besides Kane who can get to wherever he wants on the floor. Thomas is a shooter that hasn't added other offensive tools and Naz, right now, doesn't look anything close to what he did early. As a team, Hogue was Hogue and Monte was Monte. They were both what you expect on a given night but everyone else played poorly. That happens and you can't afford for that to happen against a decent team.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  9. #39
    Addict
    Points: 119,113, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    simply1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,236
    Points
    119,113
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    Couch coach just like you I am sure.
    I am, maybe I misread your comment on the board un-educated about basketball and you were in fact including yourself. Apologies.


    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

  10. #40
    Legend
    Points: 148,561, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,318
    Points
    148,561
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 187

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    five minutes of either could have led to that 9-11 point lead being 15-20.
    Not likely. More like stop Georges from missing a couple more 3Ps and make their posts work for it on the other end.



  11. #41
    Legend
    Points: 148,561, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,318
    Points
    148,561
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 187

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    For some reason it didn't matter last year.

    I have said this numerous times before but Georges needs to find a way to be able to rebound. It's big liability when he's has to guard someone inside and he's our 4th best re bounder. This is going to happen when we play against size and when he shoots like he did tonight, he's a net liability. Given, he won't shoot like that probably again this year but it is what it is. I don't know if it's fatigue or what but he doesn't even look like he cares to rebound.

    I think Monte needs to see as much time as anyone out there with Kane at the two. I thought defensively he did great things like he has all year and he is the only one besides Kane who can get to wherever he wants on the floor. Thomas is a shooter that hasn't added other offensive tools and Naz, right now, doesn't look anything close to what he did early. As a team, Hogue was Hogue and Monte was Monte. They were both what you expect on a given night but everyone else played poorly. That happens and you can't afford for that to happen against a decent team.
    Why do you think it did not matter last year? Because foul trouble limited his minutes? Georges and our undersized posts, more often than not, could have used more breaks the past two season.



  12. #42
    All-Star
    Points: 12,713, Level: 34
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cyinthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Iowa
    Posts
    1,212
    Points
    12,713
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Georges has to do better. Period. He's flat footed when they need him to grad boards. I wish he could get even 3 inches off the ground. The way he's looked this year, I'd be surprised to ever see him dunk, if he even can. Still a good player, don't get me wrong, but it's becoming clearer with each game why so many other school passed on him. I want him to make me eat these words very badly.



  13. #43
    Speechless
    Points: 185,651, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    16,958
    Points
    185,651
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    If this team could get 3 more points each out the 5th to 7th player on the team the lack of bench would not be talked about.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  14. #44
    Pro
    Points: 62,157, Level: 77
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bostrem00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    2,713
    Points
    62,157
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    The lack of a tall player was a bigger problem.
    That's been a glaring issue for the past 4 years....



  15. #45
    Speechless
    Points: 185,651, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    16,958
    Points
    185,651
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

    Re: Lack of bench is killing us....

    Quote Originally Posted by bostrem00 View Post
    That's been a glaring issue for the past 4 years....
    Not really. Teams in the past have delt with it. The Kentucky game and tonight are really the only times it has been a huge factor.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM