Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 31

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies lose first game to OSU

If I were to tell you that we out rebounded a team, shot nearly 3 times as many free throws (before we went to fouling at the end), had 17 turnovers that only resulted in 9 OSU points, and had four of their top players in foul trouble you’d think it was a good sign. Tonight, not so much.

Great crowd tonight. Attendance should be pretty accurate for once. With all of the attendance incentives there were lots of people to cheer the ladies on. The game started with sticky defense and efficient offense. I was impressed when Moody had a great drive to the hoop with a spin at the end for two. Brynn hit a three and at he first timeout it was 9-4 sisters. Impressed with the intensity right out of the gate. I commented at this point that it looked like we could drive at will. Unfortunately, I would be wrong.

The offense would take a break as OSU clawed back into it. We just couldn't buy a three and had too many turnovers by our inside players. Fortunately OSU was missing lots of shots or it wouldn't be tied at 14 at the 9 minute mark. We were also out rebounding them which helped.

State continued to struggle as the officials were letting lots of contact go. A couple of defensive breakdowns later and OSU had the lead at 18-17 with 7 to go. We continued to struggle from deep which concerned me. That is a primary threat for the sisters as I mentioned in my preview, where OSU is an inside slasher team. We even had two straight airballs from deep and missed some free throws. Our offense was simply a puzzle at this point.

Hal missed the front of a 1:1 and OSU temporarily took the lead, but a rebound would find Jadda open for a three and the lead was 25-23 with 4 minutes left. This was a battle and the one aspect leaning slightly states way was foul trouble for OSU. We were in the double bonus with 4 remaining. The fouls would rack up as the officials starting making calls and we had shot 21 free throws by halftime, making 16.

State would work out to a 6 point lead only to see it disappear on uncontested three. At the half the Sisters were leading 32-29. Amazingly we had only made 7 field goals in the half on 32% shooting. Even more of a disparity was the number of shots taken. State was 7/22 while the Cowgirls were 11/32.

Our offense started the half off with 3 turnovers in 4 possessions. OSU would hit a trio of threes and all of a sudden our offense-less team was down by 5, 42-37. Five minutes in and OSU was on a 15-5 run and had a 7 point lead 44-37. Our girls looked shell shocked as they literally stood around on defense allowing several open shots.

It just kept getting worse as the o kept misfiring and the defense gave too many second chances. It reached 49-39 before Moody made a nice drive to cut it to 8. OSU kept answering back and, I've resisted saying this, the officials won't call the bash girls for anything this half. With 7:38 to go Hal picked up her 4th foul and the chances were looking slim. The lead was 9 at 54-45. By far the worst offensive performance of the year. 15 turnovers at this point weren't helping.

Hal would come back and make an impact. But every defensive bounce seemed to go OSUs way. Then Seanna hit a 3! Another free throw after a stop and it was 63-60 for OSU with a minute left. A score by the cowgirls and a crazy turnover by Moody and we were in trouble. We missed on the next possession and got a turnover. Two free throws by Jadda with 18 left cut it to 3. We immediately fouled and they hit the free throws. It was 5 again with 14 left. Final score on a double whammy day...OSU 69-62. The sky is falling...

Analysis
    After the game I thought on this one a bit as I drove home. There were two things that jumped out at me. One, a complete lack of any offense that resembled what got the Sisters to 14-0. Two, the ineffectiveness of our players in the second half on both ends of the court.

I’ll give credit where credit is due. OSU is a scrappy bunch and their guards made ours look pedestrian. BUT, that doesn’t explain why the ladies spent about 12 minutes looking completely shell shocked on both ends of the court. For three straight possessions on defense they literally were standing there like they didn’t know what they were doing or who they were guarding.

As my wife and I talked about the lack of offense, I mentioned how they had gone back to last year’s pattern of just standing while Moody dribbled the clock away. No sense of urgency. No tries to set screens. No movement whatsoever. My wife said, “isn’t that kind of the coach’s fault?” In this case I would have to agree. There was no offensive execution tonight.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the change in officiating from half to half. After calling OSU for their physical play in the first half, the officials simply stopped. Every time a guard would actually try to slice the lane, two OSU players would simply sandwich her like closing doors. A double body slam. It was never called. Not once. In my mind, if Jadda or Moody tried to drive and one player tossed a hip into her its a foul. When two do it I would think it would be the same thing. What did you all see? In any case, we went from shooting 21 free throws in the first half to having shot one until about two minutes remained.

Another big task lies immediately ahead with WVU coming to town. They beat OSU in Stillwater and present a big matchup problem for us. Add to it that they beat us in Ames last year and this year they have their star player back. Bill has his hands full to get the ladies heads back on straight and get them ready. I’m hoping getting the day off tomorrow will get some ragged legs rejuvenated.

Notes
    There wasn’t a single player on the team that had what I’d call a good game. Hal really tried taking the team on her back towards the end, but even she had some uncharacteristic misses and she got in foul trouble in the second half. Seanna kept us in the game with her grit and aggressive nature. But she had some major defensive letdowns. Kidd was completely ineffective. Brynn a non-factor offensively but she held Donohoe in check. Jadda? Made one field goal all night on only four attempts.

Assists to Turnover Ratio - 8 to 17. Ugh.

The Three - Our three point game was non-existent. I think this is partially due to OSU’s defense and to our lack of setting up those shots on offense. Our inside/out game was AOL tonight. No screens. No picks that opened things up. No slicing the lane and dishing. 3 of 17 simply won’t win you any games.

The Hal strategy - OSU fronted and backed her. Big on the back side, guard on the front. That bothered her like it would anyone. Problem was…we couldn’t find the open person.

Free Throws - we missed some key shots at critical times. Yes, we shot a good percentage. This time it was the timing that hurt more than anything.

Field Goals - the most telling stat of the night. OSU had 14 more shots on goal than we did and made 8 more baskets.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies lose first game to OSU

In the 1st half, OSU simply pushed ISU away from the basket ... Literally. This intimidated the gals and took them out of their game. The fix was simple. With the middle gaps open DRIVE with power to the hoop. YES ... You may or may not get the call but THAT would have opened up the outside for kick out shots.

This was my first game at the Hilton this year ... What a pathetic game... ISU had zero fight last night!

By the way ... Why was the building so hot last night? The heat was at all levels up and down.

Last edited by Madclone1; 01-12-2014 at 08:01 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 11

Your write-up pretty much tells the story. I agree the officiating changed from first to second half and we did not change what we were trying to do on offense. Their players either have very quick hands or the three in striped shirts saw no contact. Many of the turnovers were steals (9) and from where I sat I saw contact on many of those. When you have what are supposed to be (note I said supposed) some of the best officials you would hope the game would be called the same begining to end, not one half tight and second half loose. I do not blame the officials for this loss but the change in style of play allowed did make a difference IMO.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I will agree that the officiating wasn't the best but you can't blame the loss on that. The team was tired from the get go and it showed. Even Hallie who seems never to get tired showed the strain last night. Again this year we have a short bench and the fatigue along with this faster schedule seems to have taken the life and legs out of the team. Did you see Moody bending over with her hands and her knees in the second half. I hope that they can recoup by Wednesday because the schedule doesn't get any easier. Kidd and Ellis are doing well with their minutes but we need some production from the other 5. Gone are the days when you can go the entire conference season with only a 7 player rotation. A round of Red Bulls may be in order here... Go Sisters...

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 31

The fatigue factor will hit most teams in the Big 12 as they almost all only go 7 deep. I noticed it as well. The one in particular was Seanna. Of course she was battling the entire game and kept us in the game in the second half. She looked physically drained when all was said and done. The difference in the energy levels of these two teams was extremely stark last night. OSU's motion offense was fun to watch from a basketball perspective while our "stand in one place around the 3 point line" was frustratingly painful.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 3

Ugly game. Way too many turnovers, for whatever reason. To me, the team just did not look prepared at all. It seemed like the larger crowd almost intimidated them instead of OSU. That was disappointing.

A couple of other things really stood out to me. Kidd had 4 fouls in only 11 minutes. At some point in those 11 minutes, shouldn't it hit her that she needs to be really careful and avoid fouling? I love her spark and how scrappy she always is, but that is not going to do the team any good if she is sitting on the bench. It is also hard for her to make any 3 pointers when the team needs them if she is sitting on the bench. I thought she would have learned that a few games ago when she got in foul trouble, but apparently not. Speaking of 3 pointers......Jadda is hitting at a better than 57 percent clip. Yet, last night, she shot once, and she only averages a little over three 3 point shots per game. I know BF has said he wants her to shoot more, and she is probably the purest and maybe best shooter on the team. Something has to be done to get her to shoot more. It seems to me she passes up a lot of shots. It's almost like she is thinking, "well, I'm just a frosh, so I better pass this to Nikki or Brynn". She has to shoot more. Maybe if she doesn't start doing that BF needs to bench her and start Kidd or someone until Jadda wakes up and gets it. I thought there were a couple of games where she finally got the message, but last night it sure didn't look like it. She has to get more consistent.

Now, they have to face West Virginia, who beat OSU at OSU this year. Their only 2 losses are to Baylor and to Ohio State, who knocked Indiana from the ranks of the undefeated yesterday.

Last edited by Dryburn; 01-12-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    -Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 116

Jadda was scoring to get us wins in the last two games. This game she went Matt Thomas on us. She is probably the best shooter from outside on the team. She needs to have picks to let her shoot. This game was way too much one on one. Where did the passing disappear? Nikki played much better than the previous game. Not sure what Hallie did not step up to the plate earlier in second half. It was like all our offensive weapons were defused and we were lost.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 11

Fallon Ellis came in and gave some good minutes - 3 RB and 4 points in only 12 minures. That would almost be a double double with 36 minutes.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by barometriclow View Post
    Fallon Ellis came in and gave some good minutes - 3 RB and 4 points in only 12 minures. That would almost be a double double with 36 minutes.
    I wondered why we didn't play Fallon more in the 2nd half. In the 1st half, she showed she could maneuver against their bigs. I would have liked to see both her and Hallie in at the same time, let Fallon bang around instead a bit, show a different look that OSU might not have been as prepared for, and give Hallie some freedom to roam. That could have opened up our offense, and been just the trick we needed to wake up the rest of the offense as well as disrupt whatever OSU was doing.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

While the game was terribly frustrating... think about how badly we appeared to play, not at all the style that we have used successfully all season, and yet we were just a 3-pointer from tying it down the stretch. That's rather amazing. There were and are so many options to play better, we have smart coaches and smart players, this should not be a tough learning curve for them. Improving from this game can be immediate. It's no mystery. There's no guessing why this or why that. It's all things they can address.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thanks for the write up. A few things popped out to me.

1. First, Okie State was impressive, especially their guard court.
    2. Seemed like our game plan was to have the guards circle the wagon, then spot an opening and drive the lane. This worked OK in the first half, resulting in a lot of ISU free throws. But in the 2nd half Okie State shut the lane down by squeezing the driver more successfully (less fouls, tighter spacing). At that point, our offense appeared TOTALLY LOST. Only a few attempts worked, more turnovers, just not good.
    3. We had very few good looks on 3's. Okie State guarded our shooters extra close; their quickness cut off the options. Jadda, Kidd, Brynn had minimal open shots.
    4. Bill said after the game some of our players acted like not wanting the ball. Well, that may be, but other than trying to drive the lane and when plugged they needed an option.

Just my 2 cents.

What is the background on the Okie State coach - I don't remember? Their team was well prepared for us.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

No one has mentioned that OSU has former long time assistant Jack Easley AND former player Whitney Williams on their coaching staff.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 12

We were the only home team to lose this weekend in the Big 12. =(

The other scores from the last couple of days:

@West Virginia 56, Texas 49 (UT only scored 1 point in OT)
    @Kansas 67, Texas Tech 46
    @Baylor 80, TCU 46
    @Oklahoma 61, Kansas State 50

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    We were the only home team to lose this weekend in the Big 12. =(

The other scores from the last couple of days:

@West Virginia 56, Texas 49 (UT only scored 1 point in OT)
    @Kansas 67, Texas Tech 46
    @Baylor 80, TCU 46
    @Oklahoma 61, Kansas State 50
    Ironically, WVU should have lost at home, as Texas gave up a 10-point lead in the last few minutes of regulation, going scoreless from under 4 minutes, and as noted, only 1 point in overtime.

The other games went as expected with the home team being clearly favored.

Here is some ESPN weekend wrap commentary:

Weekend Wrap - Army Black Knights-Navy Mids write new chapter in rivalry - ESPN

3. Oklahoma State turns the table: Turnabout is fair play, although No. 11 Iowa State might point out that No. 15 Oklahoma State's revenge would have been better directed at West Virginia. A week after Oklahoma State lost a second-half lead at home against West Virginia and lost its perfect season, it rallied from a halftime deficit for a 69-62 win on the road that knocked Iowa State from the rapidly dwindling ranks of the unbeaten. And a week after her own frustrating day against the Mountaineers, Tiffany Bias put together the kind of game she will want to send to professional scouts.

A 33 percent shooter as a freshman (albeit a freshman who started 31 games), Bias has gradually bumped that up to her current 42 percent. But when she can knock down mid-range jumpers, as she did on multiple occasions during an 8-for-11 shooting performance against the Cyclones, she becomes next to impossible to guard. She finished with 22 points, four assists and one turnover in 34 minutes, stretched the defense, stayed composed in front of more than 10,000 fans and paced the win. That's why the Cowgirls, as are the Cyclones, are serious contenders in the Big 12.

Also:

Have we reached a point where Odyssey Sims going for 48 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists is par for the course? On the road in conference play? Against West Virginia, which had limited 11 teams to 58 or fewer points this season? It's a scary thought. Sims is taking 28.3 percent of her team's shots this season, second only to Stanford's Chiney Ogwumike among ranked teams. The rest of the top five: Nebraska's Jordan Hooper, Penn State's Maggie Lucas and Iowa State's Hallie Christofferson.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 12

I too thought all five starters looked absolutely gassed the last 8-10 minutes. Jadda is a deadly perimeter shooter, but at this point in her career she needs to be wide open to even look for a shot. Hopefully, she will get more comfortable shooting a defended shot, or with somebody flying at her to contest. I imagine most teams will have seen the Oklahoma tape, and she will get very few uncontested shots the rest of the way.

I am very disappointed, in that it seems some of our worst fears with respect to the points of emphasis on perimeter and post contact have come to fruition. We are almost never the biggest, strongest team in B12 games, and when the game is officiated that way we have historically struggled.

West Virginia is very much in Marian Washington and Gary Blair molds in terms of physical play, and I am anxious about Wed. night.

I hope the NCAA is cognizant of the degradation in play.