Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Lost leads, Lack of Depth or poor adjustments?

All 3 games this season we have lost (or nearly lost) 2 digit leads.

It seems to me it is either poor adjustments, or tired players, or a combination of both.

I really think the injurys on defense are what is hurting us the most, a la lack of depth and tired defense in the 2nd half.

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Re: Lost leads, Lack of Depth or poor adjustments?

My feelings are the poor adjustments. Common sense would state the opposing team will make adjustments, we have to be able to anticipate their adjustment as well as learn from our needs from the first half.

I thought regardless of depth, ISU played a good game. Yet as you mentioned, our second halves are lack luster. I firmly believe it is not conditioning.

Hicks was strong, yet only 17(?) carries, and no screens. We are suppose to have a top flight of receiving corps...use them. If we need to keep two backs in to block, do so. Sense who is hot and build around them, it may change each game. I thought Hicks and Flynn looked exceptionally strong throughout the game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 492

THe second half we looked like the slower team. Or was I imagining?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think we have the defensive depth we need which is a little troubling. Part of the problem is our offense just CANNOT stay on the field in the second half.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by EggMcClone View Post
    I don't think we have the defensive depth we need which is a little troubling. Part of the problem is our offense just CANNOT stay on the field in the second half.
    What you just said, is possibly the biggest indictment of this coaching staff. No defensive depth??? I mean it isn't like this staff hasn't had time to plan for this season, Mac has been here a while.
    So in that statement you have summed up a lot of what is wrong here. They're starting true freshmen, and have other 1st year players playing significant roles, i.e. they're rebuilding a unit, and next year the offense will undergo the same thing. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING AFTER 12 YEARS???

Jeffrey A Crawford

Recruit
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    What you just said, is possibly the biggest indictment of this coaching staff. No defensive depth??? I mean it isn't like this staff hasn't had time to plan for this season, Mac has been here a while.
    So in that statement you have summed up a lot of what is wrong here. They're starting true freshmen, and have other 1st year players playing significant roles, i.e. they're rebuilding a unit, and next year the offense will undergo the same thing. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING AFTER 12 YEARS???
    The offense will go through the same thing next year? We lose davis, hicks and 3 o lineman but have some o line backups so its not the same as the D we lost last year. Our O will be fine if not better next year IMO. And y is this happening after 12 years? Hmmm i guess Mac should have planned for Berryman to get kicked off the team, Robertson to use some illegal drugs, and taylor and smith go down with injuries. Ands thats after losing most starters from last year. There is only 5 teams in college who can overcome injuries such as that. So dont rip on Mac b/c of that. Rip on his lack of killer instinct and inability to get the ball to our play makers. I mean do u really think he wants to start parker this year? But when your top 2 DE's are gone u have to. We don't have USC talent. We are Iowa State. We have to make up for lack of talent in other ways.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Lack of deopth spells big trouble in the fourth quarter.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Recruit
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think our defense is playing really well. You cannot expect any defense to be on the field for almost the entire second half and not get tired. Our offense is not getting it done in the second half. 3 and out then the defense is back out there. Our offense really needs to play 4 quarters.

"Skin it: Skin that smokewagon and see what happens!"

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 3

Although we did give up 27 points, I still consider our defensive play to be the ISU highlight of the game. Our run defense against a good running team was great, especially considering how young we are.

I do, however, think the defensive gameplan was not a good one. I assume the staff decided to stop the run, drop a lot of people into coverage on passes and since Tate's health status was a little bit of an unknown, make him prove he could beat us with his arm.

All of which, IMO, was a bad decision. I obviously agree with stuffing the run, but because Tate was nursing an injury, I think we should have blitzed more often, trying to get more pressure and bigger hits on Tate.

Did you see how much time he had on almost every pass. He just sat in the pocket waiting 'til his receivers came open. I can see why we've had so much problems giving up yards through the air this year. We are giving the oposing QB's too much time.

We're facing a very "green" QB next week, who didn't perform well a couple of weeks ago against a heavy rush.

ISU's offense was disappointing too, with the way we started the game, it is completely unacceptable to score only 3 points in the second half!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    - Benjamin Franklin

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you ask me one of our biggest problems is intensity and leadership out of Meyer. He just has never been that guy who is going to give every last drop he has to make the team get into that end zone. I just don't see it. Correct me if I'm wrong. And Jon Miller said on Hawk Soundoff that he thought our O line looked gassed in the second half because of Iowa's defensive line depth. I would hope that he is wrong because we really did not get any serious time of possession vs our first games.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Our defense looked really good during the long sustained drive late in the first half that our offense put together. That is what is missing. Our defense has done a good job in the last two games of getting off the field. Our "vaunted" offense has had very few sustained drives. When you keep putting the defense back out there with short rests you get beat in the 2nd half.

I am thrilled with the defense we have put together. This is the first time in Mac's career that we have had a wholesale turnover and have reloaded, not rebuilt. When the offense sustains drives more consistently our defense will be on par with last year.

Walk On
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up

Offensive and defense feed off of each other. If the O goes 3 and out everytime, the defense is going to look poor whether they are or not. I firmly believe that in 2003 we had an above average defense but you wouldn't know it cause the offense was so bad. Our defense is not going to win games but they can keep us from loosing (at least this year). The offense has to come out and win the game. They clearly did not do that. I Also I felt the defense did a good job on saturday. They kept us in it. They gave our offense a shot the offense didn't take advantage of.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Our defense can look good at times. Especially when they're properly rested. Cotton should keep this in mind when choosing an offensive scheme & strategy. Focus on getting 1st down after 1st down, methodically moving the ball downfield...all-the-while milking time off the clock. We can occasionally go for the long strike to keep the defense honest. We'll control the clock, the ball, our defensive fresh legs, & hopefully the SCORE! Whatever happened to throwing 5-10 yard patterns to the TEs or WRs? Let's just gain POSITIVE yardage! And work in the occasional QB draw since Meyer can run. We can't afford to be 3rd & 10. 2nd & 5 gives us so many options on 3rd down. Thoughts anybody???

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonestotop View Post
    The offense will go through the same thing next year? We lose davis, hicks and 3 o lineman but have some o line backups so its not the same as the D we lost last year. Our O will be fine if not better next year IMO. And y is this happening after 12 years? Hmmm i guess Mac should have planned for Berryman to get kicked off the team, Robertson to use some illegal drugs, and taylor and smith go down with injuries. Ands thats after losing most starters from last year. There is only 5 teams in college who can overcome injuries such as that. So dont rip on Mac b/c of that. Rip on his lack of killer instinct and inability to get the ball to our play makers. I mean do u really think he wants to start parker this year? But when your top 2 DE's are gone u have to. We don't have USC talent. We are Iowa State. We have to make up for lack of talent in other ways.
    Don't forget Flynn, and Nickel, and Kock, along with 3 o lineman, Davis and Hicks, now that comes out to 8 guys who at least play regularly.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Why do our longest runs continue to be from the qb? I would have thought Jason Scales or Josh Johnson have done better also. O line problem still who do not have enough depth? Lack of communication?