Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 356

Your Best Johnny Orr Stories here.

I went to the Coach Orr Roast at Glen Oaks. It was a legendary night. Bob Knight and a whole crap load others were there. I have never seen a bunch of non comedians (coaches) that were so damn funny. Coaches today have no personallity compared to the old guys.
    Anyone have any really good one?

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 44

Re: Your Best Johnny Orr Stories here.

I'll never forget the first time I met him. He had just gotten done golfing at the Harvester and was at the bar by himself. We walked up and talked to him and asked what he thought of Greg McDermott (coach at the time) Johnny said he'll never make it here because he doesn't recruit the black players.

Will never forget it.

Kobe 24

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 32

</thread>

Cyclones | Vikings | Royals | Red Wings

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 356

Here is another one. BTW nobody ends the Johnny Orr thread. there are way way to many stories out there to limit it to just one video.

Here another one from me. I posted it in the other thread also.

Myself as a 15 year old: Coach Orr, Why do you call everyone coach

Coach Orr: Because if I call everyone coach I don't have to remember there names, I just have to remember to call them coach.

Myself: Not a bad idea.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,752
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

About 10 years ago, I went to a DSM Cyclone club outing at the sports bar on the South side of Jordan Creek Mall. Johnny was there, and I brought my old Hilton Homer Hankie and my wife's old pristine "Walden & Orr" poster (that already had Jim Walden's autograph on it from back in the day). I went over to talk to the coach & ask him to sign them for me, and he was in fine form.

"Whaddya got?" When I showed him the hankie, he said "Holy ****, I haven't seen one of those ****ing things in a long ****ing time!" Then when I unrolled the poster, he said "Wow, you really ****ing broke out all the ****ing antiques, didn't you?" He was laughing his *** off the whole time, and now we display these items in our "Cyclone Room".

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 87

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

Many of you were likely not around for the Sam Mack era. He was a tremendous talent, got in bad trouble and Johnny testified as a character witness for him in court. It was an armed robbery attempt of Burger King on Lincoln way with a couple of fball players. Mack claimed he was forced to do it and was acquitted. Mack later transfered to Arizona St. and then played many years in the NBA. Had that not happened ISU might have had a great team that next season. Any way, that's the kind of person Johnny was, he would stand up for you and fight for you if he believed in you. Tremendous human being.

Side note, I was at the video store "that's entertainment" right next to the burger king when the incident was occurring watching out the window. Wild night.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 127

I used to be an usher in Hilton when Orr first got there and the team still practiced in Hilton so I would see him in the hall on a somewhat regular basis. Never too busy to exchange greetings. Very genuine.

My favorite piece of ISU Memorabilia. A piece of Hilton floor signed by both Orr and Hoiberg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HIlto Magic.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	23944  

"We don't have thugs." - Fran McCaffery

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 683
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

In 2006 Johnny Orr helped me find my biological parents. Who at the time we thought was a former player. Sitting in my dorm room in willow. I called Johnny for any info he had on the former player. He told me the whole recruiting story of the player and how he had lost contact after he left. We spoke for 30 minutes. I was ready to give up. He told me not to give up and he would help by any means he could. 2 hours later I was on the phone with my biological mom.

I'm blown away.

Thank you Johnny

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Beyerball View Post
    Many of you were likely not around for the Sam Mack era. He was a tremendous talent, got in bad trouble and Johnny testified as a character witness for him in court. It was an armed robbery attempt of Burger King on Lincoln way with a couple of fball players. Mack claimed he was forced to do it and was acquitted. Mack later transfered to Arizona St. and then played many years in the NBA. Had that not happened ISU might have had a great team that next season. Any way, that's the kind of person Johnny was, he would stand up for you and fight for you if he believed in you. Tremendous human being.

Side note, I was at the video store "that's entertainment" right next to the burger king when the incident was occurring watching out the window. Wild night.
    I remember that... We then called Sam, "Mack the knife" Lol

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 173

Cough *renting adult movies* cough

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by 501Clone View Post
    I'll never forget the first time I met him. He had just gotten done golfing at the Harvester and was at the bar by himself. We walked up and talked to him and asked what he thought of Greg McDermott (coach at the time) Johnny said he'll never make it here because he doesn't recruit the black players.

Will never forget it.
    He was doing an interview and was asked about David Moss, to which he simply replied... "Longest arms I've ever seen on a white guy".

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 288

If Mack didn't get in trouble and if Mark Baugh would have stayed academically eligible ISU would have had a heck of a front court with Big Vic.

I had a friend who lived in a duplex across from Johnny's house. We were grilling brats and drinking some cold refreshing brews on a hot summer day. Johnny drives by, sees us, and gives us the fist pump. That put a smile on our faces.

Last edited by Cydar; 12-31-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 35

I student taught at an elementary school in Dubuque in the late 1980's. There was an old teacher working then who told me she had Johnny for a (I think) history teacher back in the day at Dubuque Senior High. She shook her head and stated disgustedly that Johnny never taught them anything; just swore and coached! I loved it!

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,521
    Given: 145

2002 Final Four in Atlanta. I was there for work with 2 other guys. Through some connections we got invited to this fancy charity brunch sponsored by ADIDAS. When we arrived, the maitre d noticed the Iowa State logo on my shirt and asked if we were from Iowa. We replied yes, and he said that there was another couple from Iowa in attendance, so he'd sit us by them. Imagine our surprise when the "other couple" turned out to be Johnny and his wife.

Over the course of the next 90 minutes, Johnny had us all in stitches with his stories. All kinds of topics, from basketball, to non sports stuff, to speculation on the number of lesbians in the ISU athletic department. I swear even I learned some curse words that I'd never heard before. It was a riot.

And the best part is he was doing it while speaker after speaker was addressing the crowd on behalf of this charity. At one point, one of the event organizers recognized Johnny, and asked him to say a few words off the cuff. He agreed, and once he got a hold of a microphone, basically dominated the room for much much longer than any of the other speakers. It was great.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum