Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 0

Alvin Bowen

When I was looking at defensive stats for my breakdown, I came across something.

I'll be the first to admit Bowen didn't have a great game yesterday, he has done a great job of wrapping up and tackling this year but he let a lot of arm tackles go yesterday.

That being said, he still had 15 total tackles. He already has 48 for the year.

What's the ceiling on this guy? I mean seriously, is he going to get 200 tackles this year? If he keeps on the current pace he'll have 192 in the regular season not counting the bowl game. I think it's insane to think he can keep it up, but crap, I never would have seen that coming.

150 certainly doesn't seem out the question.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Alvin Bowen

Bowen just flys everywhere, his aggresiveness hurts him in coverage, and sometimes he doesn't break down to form tackle, but he is a mad man. Our defense will be very stellar next year and I believe he will lead them. We'll have Bowen, Carper, and McKenzie all coming back and they will be vastly improved. Nate Frere, Parker, Rubin, and Kurtis Taylor coming back on the d-line, with Singleton, Banks, and hopefully a stud in James Smith coming back.

I was really impressed in ISU's ability to stop Albert Young.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

Freakish numbers. He would have had 17-20 had he played up to his potential. Still a helluva game.

I'm surprised we have not seem more big plays out of Carper yet. He was the guy last year that showed some big play abilities. I worry we could burn Bowen out with him making so many plays.

If he can keep it up though...more power to him!

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I just wish he would have crushed Tate when he had him in the open field. Anyone who saw it knows the play. Tate was scrambling down the sideline and looked to be beyond the line of scrimmage already. Bowen was closing fast but chose to jump on the pump fake instead of putting Tate on his back. Even if Tate had thrown the ball Bowen should have tattooed him. That was one of our few chances to send a message.

I've been waiting to hear more from Carper too. I think he's spent so much time trying to help in coverage that his own coverage is suffering. It's no coincidence that the short pass is killing us. He can't do everything......yet. He's still in on just about every tackle.

Last edited by HOTDON; 09-18-2006 at 07:51 AM. Reason: more to add

Recruit
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

He put one crushing hit on Tater tot that left him pretty dazed. He is amazing

"Skin it: Skin that smokewagon and see what happens!"

Starter
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Alvin Bowen is a bad, bad man. And my former Senneca jersey is now an Alvin Bowen Jersey.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by timc243 View Post
    Alvin Bowen is a bad, bad man.

Agreed. Between him, Carper and McKenzie we have a bone crushing LB squad. I can't wait to see them with a few more games under their belt.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Bowen has one of the most important traits of a good linebacker: he is often in the right place at the right time, and usually unblocked.

I don't think he a bone crushing tackler, he drags people down. I saw some arm tackles too, but the runners went down, not through those arms.

I like our linebacking core, fast and agressive. Maybe not the best in pass coverage, but Bowen got the only pick of the game. Right place, right time.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I'm going to disagree with most of you on this one. I've been to both home games and remember (most) of the Iowa game: our LB's are sorely lacking. The underneath garbage accounted for most of the passing yards Toledo had and it nearly cost us against UNLV. Saturday it came to a head and the score could've been much worse if hyper midget tate didn't over throw his open receivers in the first half.

I agree that our LB's have potential, but I am so sick and tried of hearing about potential that I want to vomit. I've heard about the potential of our team since Mac came to town a dozen years ago. Of course our team has potential but between the missed plays on D and the questionable play calling on O, I am still going to question this coaching staff. They know we have a young D and all they do for the first quarter of the season is crack the forward of the playbook?

We are a two dropped passes away from being 0-3 right now, our high powered O is looking weak and our secondary is worse than most thought. I think they can turn it around, but the coaching staff has to take the training wheels off the O and our LB's need to grow up in a hurry.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Alvin is a great pursuit linebacker....maybe the best in the Big 12. He is not yet a real strong "down hill" linebacker. If and when he develops the strength as well as hips to allow him to play effectively down hill he will be scary good.

When he usually misses a tackle is in open field when the guy is coming straight at him. His inability to play down hill really shows up as moving forward he doesn't move well laterally with power. Playing this way is what separates the great LB's from the good ones. Dobbins played great down hill, but wasn't nearly as strong in pursuit. A linebacker line Derrick Johnson is exceptional in playing down hill and pursuit.

Some guys never can do both, but with strength, flexibility, and agility work hopefully he can develop into a D. Johnson type player.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Heavy View Post
    I'm going to disagree with most of you on this one. I've been to both home games and remember (most) of the Iowa game: our LB's are sorely lacking. The underneath garbage accounted for most of the passing yards Toledo had and it nearly cost us against UNLV.

I really don't think the problem is our LB's. What you are seeing...same as what I have seen is scheme driven. Right now for whatever reason we have played three games in a bend don't break scheme designed to keep everything in front of you. While I too have been frustrated remember that the most predictive measure of a defense in contributing to wins is poinst per game. On PPG our defense has been almost the same as last year.

The real problem is the other side of the ball. Look at how big a difference having a solid offense has made to Ravens defense this year. Last year their defense looked over the hill washed up. This year they are stout. Did they add talent, actually lost some. Difference - There offense. Ours is struggling and 3 and outs don't make for a good defense.

Prospect
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    I really don't think the problem is our LB's. What you are seeing...same as what I have seen is scheme driven. Right now for whatever reason we have played three games in a bend don't break scheme designed to keep everything in front of you. While I too have been frustrated remember that the most predictive measure of a defense in contributing to wins is poinst per game. On PPG our defense has been almost the same as last year.

The real problem is the other side of the ball. Look at how big a difference having a solid offense has made to Ravens defense this year. Last year their defense looked over the hill washed up. This year they are stout. Did they add talent, actually lost some. Difference - There offense. Ours is struggling and 3 and outs don't make for a good defense.
    The real problem I see is that nobody is putting any pressure on the opposing quarterback. Its been the same story in every game. The quarterback can sit back in the pocket as long as he wants and wait for something to develop. Our defensive line has been completely overmatched in every game so far. Also, tackling has been a huge problem as well. I don't know how many times in the Iowa game I thought the play was going to be over, only to have the defense attempt to arm tackle somebody and see the offensive guy break the tackle and scramble for several more yards. I was in school from '94 to '98 and witnessed some of the worst football teams in school history first-hand. This defense reminds me a lot of those years. I realize this defense is very young, and I'm hoping that as the season rolls on it will start to come together, but with this schedule it needs to come together in a hurry for it to make a difference.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    While I too have been frustrated remember that the most predictive measure of a defense in contributing to wins is poinst per game. On PPG our defense has been almost the same as last year.
    Quite an accomplishment when you consider the length of time they spend on the field during the second half of each game.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

While i would love to get more pressure on the quarterback, i have been very pleased with the defense! If the offense could be a little more consistent, well a lot more consistent, i could really see this team jelling and winning a lot of games down the stretch.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Talking Re: Alvin Bowen

Don't Forget the Championship game in KC!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    When I was looking at defensive stats for my breakdown, I came across something.

I'll be the first to admit Bowen didn't have a great game yesterday, he has done a great job of wrapping up and tackling this year but he let a lot of arm tackles go yesterday.

That being said, he still had 15 total tackles. He already has 48 for the year.

What's the ceiling on this guy? I mean seriously, is he going to get 200 tackles this year? If he keeps on the current pace he'll have 192 in the regular season not counting the bowl game. I think it's insane to think he can keep it up, but crap, I never would have seen that coming.

150 certainly doesn't seem out the question.

Go Cyclones!
    ShowMeS8Cy