Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Mark Prior NO LONGER a Cub!

Mark Prior and the Chicago clubs have parted ways!

Link

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Re: Mark Prior NO LONGER a Cub!

I hope it doesn't come back to haunt them. I think it would have been worth the 3+ mil for 1 year he would have got in arbitration to see if he can pitch again. Some mediocre pitchers are getting 10 mil a year right now. I can see why they did it, just cut your losses and move on but he is still only 27.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think what it comes down to is the youth that the Cubs have. Right now you have two choices. A once good vetran pitcher who is benched because of injuries and unsure of exactly when he will be able to pitch, or, a young up and comer who hasn't proven himself but is at least a body on the field when needed. You pay him less, and he gets the job done for you.

I really have felt that Prior is money hungry. His attitude towards arbitrations in the past, and his stance towards not reaching a deal here I think confirms it. If your a guy who didn't pitch last year, had surgery, and wont be able to pitch to late next year, why ask for more than what you made last year. Ridiculous. Take a pay cut for one year, and if you do well, then ask for a raise.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,116
    Given: 799

The last time I ribbed my brother-in-law about Prior (after his latest injury), he was still of the opinion that if the Cubs had the choice between Mauer and Prior that Prior was still the better choice for the organization. Are Cubs fans still feeling that way?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good question. Soto has shown some great promise for the organization, but in terms of payout, obviously Mauer beats Prior. But you can't ponder on it because who knew this was going to happen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The last time I ribbed my brother-in-law about Prior (after his latest injury), he was still of the opinion that if the Cubs had the choice between Mauer and Prior that Prior was still the better choice for the organization. Are Cubs fans still feeling that way?
    I now have very little doubt that Mauer would have worked out better.

However it's easy to question decisions with the use of hindsight. Maybe if Prior never runs into that Atlanta Brave second baseman he ends up winning the cy young. Maybe he never takes that comebacker off the elbow. It's hard to forecast injuries. Prior had near perfect mechanics but yet was one of the most injured pitchers in the organization.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

It's hindsight right now. Of course Mauer would have been better but when Prior won 18 games before the injury bug you could have argued otherwise.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

The MLB draft is such a crap shoot. Even for the 1st round, busts are more common that stardom. I looked at the 2001 draft and the Cubs can't be the only disappointed team as most 1st round picks haven't panned out. Telxeira went 5th, Baker with the Astros went 10th, Bonderman (hs jr) went originally to the A's as #26. Any team could have had David Wright as he didn't go until the sandwich round. I probably missed a couple, but most are still bouncing around the minors or even out of baseball.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Cubs didn't have the choice. Minny had the #1 pick and did not take the #1 prospect(Prior) because they would not have been able to sign him. Minny had the choice and made it correctly although for the wrong reasons.

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Prior is listed on the leaked Mitchell report

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,116
    Given: 799

Quote Originally Posted by kgreeny View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Cubs didn't have the choice. Minny had the #1 pick and did not take the #1 prospect(Prior) because they would not have been able to sign him. Minny had the choice and made it correctly although for the wrong reasons.
    I fully understand that the Cubs didn't have a choice in the matter as Minnesota had the higher draft pick. I'm just saying I've asked my brother-in-law, knowing what they knew about both players now, if the Cubs actually had a choice between the two players that he still would have taken Prior over Mauer. That's why I make fun of him. A lot.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.