Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 14

Students Cutting in Line / Entering Hilton Coliseum

I'm sure this has been discussed in other threads, but I thought it deserved its own. Something HAS to be done to help prevent this. Other students on CF can attest, it was really bad for the Iowa game. I got in line around 2 oclock, 6 and a half hours before tipoff, and there was roughly 200 people in front of me at that time, if that. By the time they opened the doors and started letting students in at 6:30, there was probably another 100-150 kids in front of me.

Additionally, once the doors were opened and the line started to condense, the yellow rope that weaved back and forth that was expected to keep students in line failed miserably. It was like being front row at a rock concert right in front of the steps to hilton. A huge mess.

There HAS to be a better way to do this. Whether it be having several Hilton staff members outside regulating the lines, IDK. But you can bet you last dollar it is going to be chaos for the Kansas game if they use the same approach again.

Ideas? I hope someone that has the power to do something about this reads CF.

p.s. **** the CA members that dont have to stand in line and get front row seats, like wtf. Not only do you get front row seats, you get them for doing absolutely nothing. Your free throw distraction signs are stupid. And anyone that let a group of friends cut in line with them, I hate you./rant

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 6

Re: Students Cutting in Line / Entering Hilton Coliseum

The kuathletics.com link with the specifics is down, apparently, but between this and this, you can get a brief explanation of the system used at KU, which works pretty well.

Last edited by kucyclone; 12-17-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 86

Lottery and assigned seats for big games.

/thread

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,835
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 108

Quote Originally Posted by crawfy54 View Post

Ideas? I hope someone that has the power to do something about this reads CF.
    We could bring McDermott back.

"I'm the one who knocks."

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 388
    Given: 191

They could do different colored wrist bands.
    First 50 students with red wristbands.
    Next 50 with Yellow wristbands.
    Next 100 with Green wristbands.
    Next 100 with Black wristbands.
    etc...
    Give them to students as they get into line. It won't solve everything, but it would prevent students from cutting or jumping the line when the doors open.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 417
    Given: 125

Student I know who has been a lifelong Iowa fan (but wore red on Friday so he wouldn't get yelled at) told me that he "joined his friends" in line around 5:30pm and ended up somewhere around the 15th row. Meanwhile I was in line before 4:00pm and had to go to the balcony. It is infuriating.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,633
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 130

I say start charging more for student tickets, and see who really wants to go. Then sell the rest to donors. Win win for isu.

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,887
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,152
    Given: 1,736

Or, everybody could let me and my buddies in first then figure it out from there.

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 221
    Given: 839

The line system discourages students from being students. My son has attended every game for the last two and a half years, as well as many women's games. He takes his classes seriously. He had to go to class until 5:00 Friday as he needed to get the take home part of one of his finals and turn in an assignment personally. He could not go camp out and he would not cut. He was thrilled he got in, even if it was standing area.

He would prefer some preference given for attending more games. This might get more students to those early games. Maybe a separate door or reserved tickets based on preference for the big games.

Students really shouldn't have to cut class to go to a basketball game. Might also eliminate some of the line cutting issues.

I think it is a little better than last year. One of his friends had her head slammed against the wall in the rush at the Kansas game. They got in, second to top row, even though they had been towards the front of the line. He spent some time checking to see if she had a concussion.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 87

I think a lottery for Iowa and Kansas would be the best way to do it. Probably can keep the current system going for other games, although Michigan was pretty well attended and Okie State could be huge.

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 138

Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post
    The line system discourages students from being students. My son has attended every game for the last two and a half years, as well as many women's games. He takes his classes seriously. He had to go to class until 5:00 Friday as he needed to get the take home part of one of his finals and turn in an assignment personally. He could not go camp out and he would not cut. He was thrilled he got in, even if it was standing area.

He would prefer some preference given for attending more games. This might get more students to those early games. Maybe a separate door or reserved tickets based on preference for the big games.

Students really shouldn't have to cut class to go to a basketball game. Might also eliminate some of the line cutting issues.

I think it is a little better than last year. One of his friends had her head slammed against the wall in the rush at the Kansas game. They got in, second to top row, even though they had been towards the front of the line. He spent some time checking to see if she had a concussion.
    I think that the rewards system is the best idea. It rewards people who go to all of the games. I would like to see it include the other sports too with less importance on the other sports. You could also have it carry over so that older students aren't behind freshmen. It would also prevent people who say I am going to get tickets and go just because it is my last year. You would actually have to go all years.

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 417
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post

I agree that you shouldn't have to cut class just to get a seat. However I wouldn't like an attendance preference either. Maybe this is selfish as I have work/other commitments that prevent me from missing quite a few of the weeknight games. Some people have night classes, too, which would still encourage cutting class.

I like the wristband idea that was mentioned earlier. They should have a bunch of different colors, maybe each with a number on them as well (think of how CyRide does it - Red 1, Green 2, Blue 3, Gray 4, etc.) and admit one color group at a time. Have somebody standing on the stairs holding up a sign with the color that is currently being admitted so students can go up to the stairs if they have that color. If you have a Gray 4 wristband but Green 2 is being admitted, you have to wait off on the side until it's Gray's turn.

They would also need a unique identifier on each wristband for the specific game that it is to be used for. Something easily noticeable - a color logo of our opponent for that game?

Anyway, Pollard seemed proud that we were finally "like KU" in that not all of our students got into Hilton. Well, if we're big time, we need to copy a big time student entrance policy. This is better than the KU game from last year, although not a whole lot better anymore.

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 6

I'm fine with an attendance-based rewards system, but don't make students go to non-revenue snoozers to get good seats to a men's basketball game. Keep it within the same sport.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 117

They probably need to oversell less in the future as well. Ideally everyone who has a ticket should be able to go to every game they wish. It made sense when students werent attending, but as the student section has rebuilt (along with the rest of the basketball atmosphere) its less of an issue.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 58

With the wrist band idea, what's to keep someone from showing up early then leaving and coming back right before the doors open?