Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 29

Did we really win on Friday?

Yes, yes, I know the outcome of the game, and I realize ISU gets to add a tally in the win column. But watching the game and then a replay of the game, I just did not feel at all that ISU was the better team in the matchup. Atrocious defense, and did not hustle as much. Got out-rebounded tremendously, and trailed for 35 out of 40 minutes. Gave too many open looks and second chance points, and though it was better in the 2nd half, gave up way too many baskets in transition.

I'm grateful for the win, but I almost take more negative away from the game than positive. I know I'll take flak for this, but I can't ignore the warning signs I saw in that game. Bad defense, getting bullied inside, and sloppy ball movement. I love the wins, and it is true that good teams find ways to win games, but Iowa State did not look very good on Friday, even in the midst of victory. We will move up 3-4 spots in the rankings this week, probably, but the target on our backs is just getting larger and larger. Iowa exposed several weak spots in our game, and like Fred said after the game, without the crowd factor and Hilton Magic, this game would have gone to Iowa. Fred and the boys have some work to do.

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 18

Re: Did we really win on Friday?

And yet, if you frame it positively we won despite not playing our best game. That's the mark of champions.

'Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.'
    -Einstein

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

A win is win is a win.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

We gave up "too many open looks", specifically around the rim, to avoid foul trouble. It was in the game plan. I'd rather take my chances with Aaron White getting open layups and keeping Ejim, Niang, and Hogue in the whole game than challenging every shot down near the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

What's even better is we played like that and WON.

Pro
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 160

Do we have to do this again? Can't we just enjoy the win. Knowing we beat a quality team without playing our best is enough for me. Why must we look for a negative?

Ill put any dollar that if I get this ball again, Long said, Its going in.
    - Naz Long to Markel Brown before hitting the game tying shot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 9

The point of basketball is to score more points. It doesn't matter if it was ugly or if you only had a lead for a short period of time. Iowa didn't do what they had to and we took advantage of that and won.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Bewilderme View Post
    And yet, if you frame it positively we won despite not playing our best game. That's the mark of champions.
    Having a hard time framing it that way. You see, Iowa presented a real test for ISU, possibly the best team they've faced so far (no, I'm not kidding). While they won, they looked extremely average doing so. I'm more in the party that thinks ISU didn't play their best game, but Iowa had a hand in making it that way. They (Iowa) were able to poke holes in a poor defensive scheme all night long. Missed a lot of open shots, especially at the end with McCabe missing the 3, followed by several missed put-back attempts due to ISU not being able to rebound the ball. A win is great, like I said, but my outlook is bleak until I see ISU finally play a complete game again.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 13

Michigan State Spartans vs. Oakland Golden Grizzlies - Recap - December 14, 2013 - ESPN

#5 Michigan State barely beat a 2-8 (Now 2-9) Oakland Team in Auburn Hills. This is how it works in College Basketball, you don't always play your best game. Good teams win games they shouldn't. That's exactly what we did

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

I'm starting to get real f*ing tired of the chicken little's and debbie downer's on this site. Relax, buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Cyinthenorth View Post
    Yes, yes, I know the outcome of the game, and I realize ISU gets to add a tally in the win column. But watching the game and then a replay of the game, I just did not feel at all that ISU was the better team in the matchup. Atrocious defense, and did not hustle as much. Got out-rebounded tremendously, and trailed for 35 out of 40 minutes. Gave too many open looks and second chance points, and though it was better in the 2nd half, gave up way too many baskets in transition.

I'm grateful for the win, but I almost take more negative away from the game than positive. I know I'll take flak for this, but I can't ignore the warning signs I saw in that game. Bad defense, getting bullied inside, and sloppy ball movement. I love the wins, and it is true that good teams find ways to win games, but Iowa State did not look very good on Friday, even in the midst of victory. We will move up 3-4 spots in the rankings this week, probably, but the target on our backs is just getting larger and larger. Iowa exposed several weak spots in our game, and like Fred said after the game, without the crowd factor and Hilton Magic, this game would have gone to Iowa. Fred and the boys have some work to do.
    I see what you are saying, but it doesn't matter if a team leads for 39:59 seconds or if they lead for 1 second. All that matters is the scoreboard after the final buzzer sounded. Lots to work on, but CFH still has 6 more days to work out those issues before the Diamond Head Classic. We've got time.

Legend
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 173

It does feel similar to last week's win against UNI. Somewhat disappointing, but not discouraging. It is good that we can win while playing poorly, but it should not take 30 minutes to get going. The good news is that the past two years we have dropped games to such programs in the non-conference and got things righted by the middle of Big 12 play.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 100

I seem to remember a game against the hoks where ISU pretty much led the whole game only to lose in the last few seconds. Too lazy to look it up. I'm thinking maybe around 1998 or so. I'm pretty sure if you look at the official UofI sports website there is an asterisk next to that score - explaining that even though Iowa scored more points - most of their fans consider it a loss since they were behind the whole game.

Not

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,662
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

I'd much rather look "average" against a good team and win than look horrible against a bad team and win.

***King of Diplomacy***

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,911
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Cyinthenorth View Post

Yes, we won...I was there. Two pretty equal teams went at it for 38.5 minutes and then one team had the talent to put it away when it counted. I think it feels like Iowa did so well because they did a lot better than all of us thought they would. But there is not a single part of me that thinks the better team didn't win.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear