Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Suing God

  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Suing God

    To prove a point about frivolous lawsuits, Ernie Chambers filed a state-court action against the Almighty on Friday.

    The lawsuit seeks a permanent injunction against God, ordering him to cease certain harmful activities. Chambers asked the court to waive personal-service requirement. Because God is omniscient, he argues, he will have actual knowledge of the action.

    It accuses God “of making and continuing to make terroristic threats of grave harm to innumerable persons, including constituents of Plaintiff who Plaintiff has the duty to represent.” It says God has caused, “fearsome floods, egregious earthquakes, horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes, pestilential plagues, ferocious famines, devastating droughts, genocidal wars, birth defects, and the like.”

    Story Link:
    State Sen. Ernie Chambers Sues God - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha

    Link on Plantiff:
    The Importance of Being Ernie


    Last edited by alaskaguy; 12-12-2007 at 09:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,722, Level: 66
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,228
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    3,794
    Points
    45,722
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

    Re: Suing God

    We have discussed this one a few times, he ends up naming Tom Osborn as God since the judge makes him name a specific person.


    "It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

    XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 467,723, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,621
    Points
    467,723
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

    Re: Suing God

    I find it highly amazing that with most people when something terribly goes wrong that it was God to blame, yet when things go incredibly right it is either attributed to good luck or fortune or the fact that said person has all of the skills or effort etc. to have ensured it went right. So why is it that God gets all the blame for when stuff goes wrong (which he unfairly deserves) yet when things go right he doesn't get an ounce of credit (which more often than not he does deserve)?


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  4. #4
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    rte4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    445
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Suing God

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I find it highly amazing that with most people when something terribly goes wrong that it was God to blame, yet when things go incredibly right it is either attributed to good luck or fortune or the fact that said person has all of the skills or effort etc. to have ensured it went right. So why is it that God gets all the blame for when stuff goes wrong (which he unfairly deserves) yet when things go right he doesn't get an ounce of credit (which more often than not he does deserve)?

    Well said and I agree 100%!


    "where there is pain, let us bring grace. for those afraid, let us be brave. where there is misery, let us bring relief. let us be the remedy" dc*b

    http://billclarkproject52.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 33,295, Level: 56
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    isuforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,672
    Points
    33,295
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 127

    Re: Suing God

    I thought God was older



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 29,234, Level: 52
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,155
    Points
    29,234
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Suing God

    leave it to that goofy Erine Chambers (the guy is a nutjob) to do something like this



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 47,968, Level: 67
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    sodakjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    2,799
    Points
    47,968
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Suing God

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I find it highly amazing that with most people when something terribly goes wrong that it was God to blame, yet when things go incredibly right it is either attributed to good luck or fortune or the fact that said person has all of the skills or effort etc. to have ensured it went right. So why is it that God gets all the blame for when stuff goes wrong (which he unfairly deserves) yet when things go right he doesn't get an ounce of credit (which more often than not he does deserve)?
    I personally find it amazing how often the exact opposite happens. After about every sporting match, you'll hear every guy on the team "thanking God" for his talents and abilities. You NEVER hear that if they lose.


    Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

    And thank you Stumpy for this:

  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 36,387, Level: 58
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,436
    Points
    36,387
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

    Re: Suing God

    He was trying to make a point about frivolous lawsuits. Most people don't understand him though and he does seem quite crazy...


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 98,397, Level: 97
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,800
    Points
    98,397
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 28

    Re: Suing God

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    To prove a point about frivolous lawsuits, Ernie Chambers filed a state-court action against the Almighty on Friday.

    The lawsuit seeks a permanent injunction against God, ordering him to cease certain harmful activities. Chambers asked the court to waive personal-service requirement. Because God is omniscient, he argues, he will have actual knowledge of the action.

    It accuses God of making and continuing to make terroristic threats of grave harm to innumerable persons, including constituents of Plaintiff who Plaintiff has the duty to represent. It says God has caused, fearsome floods, egregious earthquakes, horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes, pestilential plagues, ferocious famines, devastating droughts, genocidal wars, birth defects, and the like.

    Story Link:
    State Sen. Ernie Chambers Sues God - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha

    Link on Plantiff:
    The Importance of Being Ernie
    It sounded like a legitimate lawsuit until he tried to alliterate every natural disaster. Looks he gave up when he couldn't come up with a "harsh" adjective that starts with a "w" to match wars, and why no adjective for birth defects? You can try better than that, Ernie Chambers.



  10. #10
    Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Jetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    583
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Suing God

    If we could only sic someone with that time and energy on the NCAA for Lucca.

    Course, the credibility wouldn't be that high.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 32,013, Level: 55
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,037
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclonez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames via IC
    Posts
    3,961
    Points
    32,013
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 6

    Re: Suing God

    I don't see that guy getting reelected.


    Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

    Philippians 4:13

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 82,337, Level: 89
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tigershoops31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    5,393
    Points
    82,337
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 45

    Re: Suing God

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I find it highly amazing that with most people when something terribly goes wrong that it was God to blame, yet when things go incredibly right it is either attributed to good luck or fortune or the fact that said person has all of the skills or effort etc. to have ensured it went right. So why is it that God gets all the blame for when stuff goes wrong (which he unfairly deserves) yet when things go right he doesn't get an ounce of credit (which more often than not he does deserve)?
    I agree 100% and it's pretty sad...you ever notice it's the same way with ISU coaches around here too?



    Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

    http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

  13. #13
    Cyclone42
    Guest

    Re: Suing God

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonez7 View Post
    I don't see that guy getting reelected.
    First, he's the longest-serving legislator in Nebraska by far. Second, he's being term-limited, so he can't run. But if he could run, he'd win by a landslide. He represents north Omaha, which is becoming akin to Detroit in sociological makeup.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 7,638, Level: 26
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    840
    Points
    7,638
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Suing God

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    It sounded like a legitimate lawsuit until he tried to alliterate every natural disaster. Looks he gave up when he couldn't come up with a "harsh" adjective that starts with a "w" to match wars, and why no adjective for birth defects? You can try better than that, Ernie Chambers.
    It's not as simple as it sounds! However, I recommend replacing "genocidal wars" with "ghastly genocides and virulent wars," The answer to alliterating birth-defect is surely the second syllable, so I suggest "dreadful birth defects."

    This will strengthen his suit for sure.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM