Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Texas coaches

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    I think there will be some heavy hitters in this list if it becomes available. Guys who would otherwise be thought of as untouchable. Realistically, any coach in the nation is going to listen should their phone ring regarding this job.

David Shaw - Stanford
    Charlie Strong - 'Ville
    Mark Dantonio - MSU
    Les Miles - LSU
    Jimbo Fisher - FSU

These are all guys that wouldn't surprise me.

Along with guys like Pat Fitzgerald at NW and James Franklin at Vanderbilt who are guys who turned around previously unsuccessful programs into solid programs.
    Charlie Strong would be my choice but it isn't a given he would take the job if offered. He has done a lot with very average recruiting classes at Louisville.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 444

I guess I don't understand the posters who think Texas has to hold all of the cards for the Big 12 to be relevant. In the last three years the Big 12 has had two different teams that were one game away from an undefeated season and arguably the championship game. And the best part is that neither of them was Texas or Oklahoma. I believe that a competitive league that can get any number of teams up to the pinnacle from time to time is more relevant than a league that is dominated year in and year out by one team.

I also don't understand people who would want to do that to ISU's chances of ever competing for a conference title. Texas has all of the pieces. Why would you ever wish for them to have the powerhouse coach instead of just a great coach as well? Texas dominating a league will not make that league any more stable.

Last edited by VeloClone; 12-12-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

No but having the powerhouse makes the league more relevant. Until then, everyone outside the Big12 will keep viewing us as a bunch of mediocre teams that anyone could win.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    No but having the powerhouse makes the league more relevant. Until then, everyone outside the Big12 will keep viewing us as a bunch of mediocre teams that anyone could win.
    I fail to see how a texas+9 also rans league would be seen any more favorably. If Okie State takes care of business in 2011 or Baylor this year - or better still, both - it could have done more for the footing of the league than having a perennial league champ like the Big 12 has in BB.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Rookie
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan4628 View Post
    I promise you he is not a candidate at Texas.
    Duh he is our new OC.

Walk On
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Listening to an offer is different than taking a job. In todays college coaches world who really knows what goes on behind closed doors when schools are looking for a coach.
    True, but you don't live down here in the Oklahoma/Texas area like I do. Many Texas & OSU boosters are talking about this incessantly down here. Texas fans seem to be open to it while OSU fans are legitimately scared it might happen.

Why don't you do a google search with "Gundy, next Texas Football coach" and see what comes up and then tell me you don't think he will be a candidate. There are SEVERAL articles already written about it.

Last edited by cuphues; 12-12-2013 at 04:09 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    I don't know why anybody would go down to college to coach when they are successful as an NFL HC and don't have to recruit players. Maybe Texas would make the pay better but it isn't worth it IMHO.
    One thought, there may be more job security in college. If he comes back and puts a team into bcs bowls consistently, and wins a NC every 7 years or so, then you're pretty safe. All this is very possible at Texas.

Seems NFL is a more of what have you done for me lately. Also the parody in NFL is much more, when you consistently draft at the bottom, the talent level drops. And it seems the NFL is so reliant on a great QB and they're hard to come by, but at Texas you just recruit over the top so there should always be one there.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WastedTalent View Post
    Also the parody in NFL is much more...
    Oh, I don't know. Shaggy Bevo seems to hold their own.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 2

I hope Sagan goes to Texas, so when they play in title games we get mo money mo money mo money:)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No we're gonna be an elite conference without an elite team. Who cares about the added money we'd get! We don't want to play harder completion.

LOL

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Texas will be elite whether or not they have the single best coach in the country. They have enough going for them that they will get a great coach. They already have enough other advantages to be elite. I'm fine playing elite. I think it is stupid to wish for a team you are going to have next to no chance to beat in your conference year in and year out.

I'm fine being in the minority on this.

Do you always have to be an *** with anyone who disagrees with you?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No I see the positives to both. But I would just rather see what's best for the conference. And I'd like to see us upset the #1 team while they are putting more money into our school further helping us get better.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by cuphues View Post
    True, but you don't live down here in the Oklahoma/Texas area like I do. Many Texas & OSU boosters are talking about this incessantly down here. Texas fans seem to be open to it while OSU fans are legitimately scared it might happen.

Why don't you do a google search with "Gundy, next Texas Football coach" and see what comes up and then tell me you don't think he will be a candidate. There are SEVERAL articles already written about it.
    Fans, boosters and reporters are wrong 90% if the time in coaching searches. Agents play the media, fans get in their mind something is going to happen and go with it. If an AD is listening to boosters on who should be hire that AD should be fired.

When a guy like John Walters reports who will be the next Texas coach you can take that to the bank, the rest is don't to get listeners, viewers and readers.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,550
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 2

One things for sure, we saw how that athletic department bungled the whole Mike Davis ordeal. For all the money they have, their PR people are clueless. They'll find a way to screw up this Mack Brown thing. I still think that they'd be stupid not to break the bank for Art Briles.

Walk On
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Fans, boosters and reporters are wrong 90% if the time in coaching searches. Agents play the media, fans get in their mind something is going to happen and go with it. If an AD is listening to boosters on who should be hire that AD should be fired.

When a guy like John Walters reports who will be the next Texas coach you can take that to the bank, the rest is don't to get listeners, viewers and readers.

So.....you in your almighty wisdom discount 90% of all chatter from Fans, boosters, agents and reporters, but in the same breath rely on John Walters as preacher of the Texas Football coach search who likely will only comment when it's already official. So how do you determine how to filter the 90% BS versus the 10% fact in your mind?

Look, I never said Gundy was for sure getting the job. I just said he will be a candidate if Mack steps down. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Clearly UT wants Saban and isn't going to announce Mack's future until Saban, behind closed doors, either accepts or declines the job.

If Saban declines, the school will move toward a candidate on their short list. Gundy will be on that list and he will be toward the top. As for Gundy and the possibility of leaving his alma mater, he will consider it and already has last year with the Arkansas position openly in the media.

Gundy is not the Fred Hoiberg of OSU. He is a revered former great player who happens to be a head coach. But that is where the similarities end with your logic on why Gundy wouldn't leave if given the opportunity to coach UT. Gundy is much more ego driven then Fred. He does not have the same personality as Hoiberg. Gundy is an a-hole. Gundy also does not like his AD. Their is friction between both men. Sometimes your dream job doesn't pan out to be so. How often in the real world do people change their opinion of their working situation due to not liking their boss? Every frickin day. He will move on for the right opportunity.

I am not here to prognosticate Gundy as the next UT coach, but he will be in the conversation if Saban declines.