Right to search my bag?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 20,787, Level: 44
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 863
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    stormchaser2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,873
    Points
    20,787
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 242

    Right to search my bag?

    There is a middle school in our conference that has a janitor that stands at the gym entrance checking everyone's paper/plastic bags that they bring in, not purses or camera bags, to see if they have any food or drinks other than water. One time I brought in a paper bag with an apple and some crackers as a snack for my sister who was playing bball at the time. The janitor asked what was in the bag and I told her food. Then she asked to look in the bag, I complied because I wasn't in the mood to start an argument or anything. So she said I couldn't bring that in the gym, so I went to the lunchroom, out of her line of sight, and put the stuff in my camera bag, and walked back in.

    So I'm wondering if the school/janitor has the right to look in such bags. I don't believe they do. I'm pretty sure I can refuse her request. Am I correct?

    Oh and this woman yelled at a 10 year old girl for eating ONE fruit snack in the gym. She had like 3 more in her hand and she told her to leave the gym.


    You probably think I'm at a disadvantage, I promise you I'm not

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 224,831, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,670
    Points
    224,831
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,532
    Given: 95

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    N.j. Vs. TLO



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 649,745, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    25,001
    Points
    649,745
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,554
    Given: 277

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    I suppose she could just follow you and ask you to leave as soon as you take the food out of the bag.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 294,676, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,228
    Points
    294,676
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 929
    Given: 1,671

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser2014 View Post
    There is a middle school in our conference that has a janitor that stands at the gym entrance checking everyone's paper/plastic bags that they bring in, not purses or camera bags, to see if they have any food or drinks other than water. One time I brought in a paper bag with an apple and some crackers as a snack for my sister who was playing bball at the time. The janitor asked what was in the bag and I told her food. Then she asked to look in the bag, I complied because I wasn't in the mood to start an argument or anything. So she said I couldn't bring that in the gym, so I went to the lunchroom, out of her line of sight, and put the stuff in my camera bag, and walked back in.

    So I'm wondering if the school/janitor has the right to look in such bags. I don't believe they do. I'm pretty sure I can refuse her request. Am I correct?

    Oh and this woman yelled at a 10 year old girl for eating ONE fruit snack in the gym. She had like 3 more in her hand and she told her to leave the gym.
    Dude, you're arguing with a middle school janitor.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 294,676, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,228
    Points
    294,676
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 929
    Given: 1,671

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    I also like how you make this about your "rights", but add the anecdote about the janitor and the fruit snacks. That really doesn't add to your "rights" argument.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 109,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,490
    Points
    109,349
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 331

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Dude, you're arguing with a middle school janitor.
    Did you never learn to read?! He specifically said he DIDN'T argue with the janitor.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 294,676, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,228
    Points
    294,676
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 929
    Given: 1,671

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Did you never learn to read?! He specifically said he DIDN'T argue with the janitor.
    Dang, you're right. Damn.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 311,265, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,656
    Points
    311,265
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,575
    Given: 611

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    Just so this thread isn't a complete waste of everyone's time...here's a link to a thread with a link to Erin Andrews in spandex:

    http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/off-...-10-right.html

    Admittedly, that's only of marginal value, but I feel it's an improvement.




    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 61,893, Level: 77
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,357
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Acylum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,580
    Points
    61,893
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 1,109

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    Erin Andrews can search my bag any time she wants to.


    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 734,741, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    49,023
    Points
    734,741
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,168
    Given: 1,031

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Just so this thread isn't a complete waste of everyone's time...here's a link to a thread with a link to Erin Andrews in spandex:

    http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/off-...-10-right.html

    Admittedly, that's only of marginal value, but I feel it's an improvement.
    I see your Erin Andrews, and raise you a kangaroo playing air guitar.




  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 53,557, Level: 71
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MeanDean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clarence IA-Jensen Bch FL
    Posts
    3,136
    Points
    53,557
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 641

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Dude, you're arguing with a middle school janitor.
    For future reference, your point would have been stronger if you said "chick janitor" instead of just "janitor". Carry on.


    No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 32,645, Level: 55
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowast8fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,134
    Points
    32,645
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 22

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    I don't know if they have the right to search your bags. However, they DO have the right to refuse to let you in.

    Just curious, are there any signs at the entrance of the gym that say, "no food or beverages"?



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 74,367, Level: 84
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,684
    Points
    74,367
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 352
    Given: 90

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    I would pull your kid out of school right away......don't want them growing up in an environment like that.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 28,152, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,470
    Points
    28,152
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 601

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I would pull your kid out of school right away......don't want them growing up in an environment like that.
    I think OP is the kid.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 83,378, Level: 89
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,052
    Points
    83,378
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 0

    Re: Right to search my bag?

    Is it any different than the bag check at JTS, or at the airport? Ultimately, you have the right to refuse, but then they have the right to keep you out.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM