Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Re: So what went wrong this year?

I disagree with the comments that ISU wasn't good this year, or was bad. True, they did not finish the season strong and played badly in several matches including vs. CU. However, they qualified for the tourney, they beat teams that made it into the tourney, and they took sets from San Diego and the #1 team in the country Texas.

This is still a very high level of volleyball. As CJL said in the CU post-game, it's very disappointing because the bar is higher, more is expected.

As fans, and rightly so, we now cringe when they play like they did vs. CU. But that is because the team has shown us what high quality volleyball should look like.

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Royalclone View Post
    This year reminds me so much of 2010, where we made the tourney but went on the road and lost a first round game to Creighton. A lot of parallels to that team such as:

The parallels are striking. Also as TCG says, if the team can come back with more fortitude in 2014 as it did from 2010 to 2011, there is optimism for next year.

Unlike that transition, however, there may be a few more unknowns and more player development may be needed. Good luck to the coaches and players to make the most of the off-season!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,011
    Given: 645

We were young and we had too many injuries. Everyone knew it would be a rebuilding year.

Legend
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,843
    Given: 1,796

when you start listing it out, Royal, it's pretty crazy how similar the years are! I remembered Mass/Landwehr, but I forgot all about how we lost Rachel, unexpectedly right at the beginning of the year. (plus the other things you listed). Hopefully that means we will come back next year more experienced and ready to kick butt!

new signature ideas needed; inquire within

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,982
    Given: 2,372

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post
    I disagree with the comments that ISU wasn't good this year, or was bad. True, they did not finish the season strong and played badly in several matches including vs. CU. However, they qualified for the tourney, they beat teams that made it into the tourney, and they took sets from San Diego and the #1 team in the country Texas.

This is still a very high level of volleyball. As CJL said in the CU post-game, it's very disappointing because the bar is higher, more is expected.

As fans, and rightly so, we now cringe when they play like they did vs. CU. But that is because the team has shown us what high quality volleyball should look like.
    This sums it up, I think. CJL and the team have raised the bar, so a season like this looks like a major disappointment.

It was a poor performance yesterday, and we all expect more now. At least we know that CJL will get things running again.
    If I were boiling the season down to one thing, it likely is losing Andie Malloy. I'm not an expert, but losing her was a pretty major loss that's tough to overcome right away.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    If I were boiling the season down to one thing, it likely is losing Andie Malloy. I'm not an expert, but losing her was a pretty major loss that's tough to overcome right away.
    It is not just not having Malloy this season. It is the fact that she got playing time last season, including spring season -- time and experience then that our returning players did not get. Imagine if Kuhrt had come in with the same playing time that Malloy had gotten.

It was interesting to hear CJL mention Malloy in the CU post game. I had not heard CJL refer to her all season, presumably so as not to make excuses and to focus on this team and what it could accomplish. But in the end, I'd say CJL really feels that had a significant impact on the season.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 878
    Given: 610

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    not an expert, or even a huge VB fan, but in the games that I watched this team just had no killer instinct. There were a lot of games that ISU was ahead by several point and they just couldn't close it out. As the game got closer they would tighten up and play conservative.
    I go with killer instinct. We were too nice to each other and not wanting to kick butt when the occasion rose. Hahn was our only aggressive personality on the court. Need to have these gals drink more red bull before games. No more tips unless you have a real plan. The better teams always get to tips. That middle quick dunk worked last year. This year we rarely did it just like football refused to throw it down the middle. Need to mix the offense up more.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post
    It is not just not having Malloy this season. It is the fact that she got playing time last season, including spring season -- time and experience then that our returning players did not get. Imagine if Kuhrt had come in with the same playing time that Malloy had gotten.

It was interesting to hear CJL mention Malloy in the CU post game. I had not heard CJL refer to her all season, presumably so as not to make excuses and to focus on this team and what it could accomplish. But in the end, I'd say CJL really feels that had a significant impact on the season.
    I agree, losing Malloy was a real blow. She was an extremely promising player. I can remember the talk at the end of last season, about how she might be setting. She was really versatile. I don't think you can do much about these things. No one can predict this stuff happening.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Of course I have said this before, but I think the major glaring issue is conditioning. This squad lost most of their long rallies, and was very fatigued at the end of the season. Expecting a true freshman to last all season in full rotation, and giving her 1/4 or more of the sets, on a bad foot is fatiguing, speaks volumes.

Beyond that, there were other signs of issues. Hahn in her presser saying the team need to cheer each other more? How can you expect outsides to terminate when they are always getting double or triple blocked. And speaking of blocking, or should I say lack there of.

Our aggressive serving when on won us a lot of matches. And when passing/transition was in system and outsides had rhythm jumps, we played well. But when either of those two weren't going well, like more errors than aces, and constant sets off the net expecting our outsides to do a non rhythm spike over and over, it was ugly.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 243

Watched the replay of the CU match - CJL went to the 6-2 instead of her favored 5-1. That says a lot...

Rookie
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

[QUOTE=twistedredbird;3743509]Of course I have said this before, but I think the major glaring issue is conditioning. QUOTE]

Generally agree with most of your posts, but can't on this one. CJL went to a very short bench early in the season, with Bigbee and Capezio often playing the cycle, while some other pretty decent players got little playing time. If conditioning was an issue, we would have seen a lot more of Kurht and Vondrak, and earlier in the season.

Think there are other issues at play here.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Of course I have said this before, but I think the major glaring issue is conditioning. This squad lost most of their long rallies, and was very fatigued at the end of the season. Expecting a true freshman to last all season in full rotation, and giving her 1/4 or more of the sets, on a bad foot is fatiguing, speaks volumes.

I agree with this. My wife and I talked about this alot this year. Our team just did not look lean and athletic compared to the other teams. 2011 we went to watch KU in Ames and team looked the part of an athletic top tier team. The way they moved all over the court, jumped and was more physical if that makes sense. S & C is really something to be worked on in the offseason. There seemed to be pretty good technique for the most part and hustle. Combine that with some more finely tuned athletes this team should be pretty good next year.

Of course losing Hahn stinks. She is amazing.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 887

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    We were young and we had too many injuries. Everyone knew it would be a rebuilding year.
    I think it had to do with CJL constantly throwing her players under the bus. Every time I watched her on a CTV interview, she was mentioning a player by name, and what she needed to work on....

(Do I really need the jimlad?)
    Oh--otherwise, it's the OC.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 243

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I agree with this. My wife and I talked about this alot this year. Our team just did not look lean and athletic compared to the other teams. 2011 we went to watch KU in Ames and team looked the part of an athletic top tier team. The way they moved all over the court, jumped and was more physical if that makes sense. S & C is really something to be worked on in the offseason. There seemed to be pretty good technique for the most part and hustle. Combine that with some more finely tuned athletes this team should be pretty good next year.

Of course losing Hahn stinks. She is amazing.
    I think our team is much more "athletic" than KU...sure, maybe Nolan could lose 15 or so pounds, but lots of the elite teams have husky girls in their lineup. They work very hard in practice, where much of the conditioning comes from. The team was young, missed Malloy to be sure, and the passing and terminating was not what you see from teams left in the final sixteen (save for KU, which does not belong in the final 16, IMO). And I agree, Hahn is amazing.

Prospect
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What about the regression of Victoria Hurrt? She never looked like an all big 12 player this year!