Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

So what went wrong this year?

I really think this was a great group of girls. So what happened. Was it as simple as youth, because we are a young team, or was there more to it. I am interested in everyone's perspective on this. I do feel badly for the team, as no one will be more disappointed than they are.

Starter
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Re: So what went wrong this year?

At this level I would think youth plays a good chunk of it, and I'm not an expert by anymeans but I think you need some girls with an attitude.

Sad it's over for them.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,844
    Given: 1,796

things really went downhill about a month ago when we stopped getting the production from Capezio. I think we just simply had too many holes to overcome. New setter + new passers + losing a top player......I think there just too many key areas that we had to rebuild on. IIRC, 2010 was Allison's first year as setter and we got bounced 1st round there too.

new signature ideas needed; inquire within

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 243

Couldn't tell you - CJL was always optimistic about the team (at least publicly) all the way to the bitter end. Tonight it was a case of no one on ISU's team to counter CU's Simpson. She dominated the match. Also, we get away with winning often, while playing poorly, in the Big 12. ISU tied for 3rd at 11-5, and got beat soundly by a team that finished seventh in the Pac 12, and had a losing conference record. Wow. If this team had played in the Big Ten or Pac 12, they wouldn't even have made the tourney. Don't know the exact formula for determining a team's volleyball RPI, but our current #23 ranking is mystifying...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Couldn't tell you - CJL was always optimistic about the team (at least publicly) all the way to the bitter end. Tonight it was a case of no one on ISU's team to counter CU's Simpson. She dominated the match. Also, we get away with winning often, while playing poorly, in the Big 12. ISU tied for 3rd at 11-5, and got beat soundly by a team that finished seventh in the Pac 12, and had a losing conference record. Wow. If this team had played in the Big Ten or Pac 12, they wouldn't even have made the tourney. Don't know the exact formula for determining a team's volleyball RPI, but our current #23 ranking is mystifying...

we didn't have any bad losses, so that saved us. Our worst loss, St. Mary's, was the top team left out of the tourney.......and many felt that they should have made it. All of our losses were to ranked or RV teams.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 610

Looked like we lacked an ace to win points for most of this match. The tips were beyond totally worthless. Both teams. Serving was poor. Spent more time high fiving than scoring the second set. They needed a Kane.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 58

Maybe it is just me, but I think our opposition saw something in our offense, and began to counter us. I think it began before this match. I think it had to do with our outside hitters. Colorado nearly took away our outside game with their blocking. I think I saw something similar in some other matches. I think we need to look at the offense and figure out what we are doing that is so predictable.

I am not the best in expertise in volleyball. A person would have to look at lots of film to study this, see what defenses are doing to counter our attack and figure out if there is any similarity.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mitten1975 View Post
    Maybe it is just me, but I think our opposition saw something in our offense, and began to counter us. I think it began before this match. I think it had to do with our outside hitters. Colorado nearly took away our outside game with their blocking. I think I saw something similar in some other matches. I think we need to look at the offense and figure out what we are doing that is so predictable.

I am not the best in expertise in volleyball. A person would have to look at lots of film to study this, see what defenses are doing to counter our attack and figure out if there is any similarity.

the outsides get blocked or have to tip, a LOT. I think it all comes back to the passing. Jenelle gets a poor pass, it limits what she can do/leads to a poorly timed hit (tip)........so we become predictable.

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 815
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 33

Offensive coordinator has to go.

[implied jimlad]

Rookie
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

We can point fingers at specific players, but somehow, this team was missing something. I am not sure what it was; it may have been because of the youth, or it may have been due to personalities. Whatever it was, I am optimistic that CJL will get it done and we have a great year next year. We have a great base to start with and some exciting new talent. My biggest concern is libero; how do you replace a KH - I guess the simple answer is you don't!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

We just weren't good. Simple as that.

Need to get it fixed ASAP.

Addict
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 139

not an expert, or even a huge VB fan, but in the games that I watched this team just had no killer instinct. There were a lot of games that ISU was ahead by several point and they just couldn't close it out. As the game got closer they would tighten up and play conservative.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    not an expert, or even a huge VB fan, but in the games that I watched this team just had no killer instinct. There were a lot of games that ISU was ahead by several point and they just couldn't close it out. As the game got closer they would tighten up and play conservative.

we really had no "go-to" player to just terminate when needed. Bigz could do it sometimes, but not enough.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

This year reminds me so much of 2010, where we made the tourney but went on the road and lost a first round game to Creighton. A lot of parallels to that team such as:

We had a highly-rated group of sophomores - led by Landwehr and Straube, this year Bigbee, Hudson, and Nolan;

We had to replace an AA setter in Mann w/an inexperienced Landwehr, this year it was replacing Landwehr w/an inexperienced Hudson;

We lost a key all-around player at an inopportune time - Hockaday to injury then Malloy with an August transfer this year;

We had a returning senior AA libero who we expected to be a team leader, Maas in 2010 an Hahn this year. While each was in their own way, they didn't get much help.

Both times the talent was there, but it was mostly young, and they took a key loss of a player. The freshman class was relatively small. Matlock was a pleasant surprise as a freshman then as was Capezio this year, but the season wore on them. Wilms was highly regarded in that class as was Hahn, but the former took a redshirt while the latter played sparingly with Maas and Mahoney ahead of her on the back row. This year's other two freshman, at least one was redshirted, maybe both.

CJL and the team responded from a down year in 2010 by coming within a fifth set of making the Final Four the next. That year we recruited three in Hurtt, Knuth, and Goetz, next year we have the likes of Conoway, Harris, and Berta coming in. Knuth was highly ranked as is Conoway, although Tory was redshirted because we were three deep with Staube, Matlock, and Stadick in the middle. Still, Hurtt played a key role as a freshman and I suspect at least one the incoming frosh will as well.

Point being, good developing programs respond from a bad year. In fact it may be a blessing and a learning tool for those coming back to take their game to another level. I believe they did that in 2011, we'll have to wait to see what 2014 brings.

Walk On
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

2010 and 2013 felt like we were nervous/scared to live up to expectations that our program has become, but 2011 felt like we not only embraced it but grabbed it by the horns. Hopefully 2014 can be the same.