Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 209
  1. #76
    Addict
    Points: 152,102, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,290
    Points
    152,102
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    If we added 2 teams, we'd be in the exact same boat as the Pac 12, who won't even have a 1 loss team.

    We'd still have to play 9 games, you might see the best teams miss each other (but you probably wouldn't because UT/OU and OU/OSU would still play every year), and even then, they would meet in the conference championship.

    It's a ***** though, because right now the Big 10, SEC, and ACC are all playing 8 game schedules. But that's changing. Once everyone else plays 9 games, we're not going to be disadvantaged. Plus, if you add teams, you dilute the pay outs, and let's be honest: the only thing realignment was ever truly about was MONEY. If we cut pay outs, and add teams that end up being mediocre (like pretty much every school save possibly Mizzou and Aggie) has been post-realignment, we're just going to create more discord.

    Once OU and UT start winning the league again, I think you'll see the Big 12 getting a lot more national respect. The SEC and Big 10 are almost always won by traditional powers, and the ACC finally is again, which is why we're seeing FSU at #1. The Big 12 has been won 3 straight years by teams that are not traditional powers.
    Agree.

    Winning cures all ills. If OU/oSu were undefeated Bedlam would be getting the publicity of a CCG and the winner would be going to the NCG.

    If you want a laugh go to Land Thieves and read the OU fans cry about the (low) quality of the conference. I wonder if it's ever occurred to them that a ten team league was designed to get UT/OU into the NCG.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  2. #77
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 211,450, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,557
    Points
    211,450
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 106

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    When you have 14 teams in the conference, you have years where you barely play good competition and then people think you're amazing because you escaped the SEC with a 11-1 record.


    Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

    "The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

  3. #78
    Speechless
    Points: 475,948, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,697
    Points
    475,948
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 8

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Land Thieves is nothing but a pile of butt hurt over the Pac 16 not happening. Quit that site awhile ago because it gets nauseating.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  4. #79
    Speechless
    Points: 475,948, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,697
    Points
    475,948
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 8

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    When you have 14 teams in the conference, you have years where you barely play good competition and then people think you're amazing because you escaped the SEC with a 11-1 record.
    That was happening when the SEC was at 12 too.

    The big thing the SEC does is play 8 conference games, including a late season FCS non-con. The Pac 12 has 12 teams, plays 9 games, and is in the same boat as the Big 12. The Big 10, ACC, and SEC are all moving this direction. People have to give up on the idea of 8 conference games, because it just ain't coming back. For anyone.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  5. #80
    Addict
    Points: 152,102, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,290
    Points
    152,102
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    In retrospect I think they screwed up by adding WVU instead of Louisville. Getting back up to 10 and then taking a wait and see approach to adding another two teams was the right call. However, now it doesn't even appear that there are great options available for adding two more teams. If, on the other hand, we had snagged Louisville as #10, I think there's a good chance WVU would still be there waiting for us in the American.
    I dunno, I think this sometimes but it might be short-sighted. I'm on record in this thread stating I want to add teams but that's just selfishness in that I think it would be better for our W-L record.

    As far as the health of the conference goes UT & OU need to start holding up their end of the bargain and win.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  6. #81
    Legend
    Points: 148,482, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,300
    Points
    148,482
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 182

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    In retrospect I think they screwed up by adding WVU instead of Louisville. Getting back up to 10 and then taking a wait and see approach to adding another two teams was the right call. However, now it doesn't even appear that there are great options available for adding two more teams. If, on the other hand, we had snagged Louisville as #10, I think there's a good chance WVU would still be there waiting for us in the American.
    TCU was the mistake.



  7. #82
    Legend
    Points: 314,416, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    13,754
    Points
    314,416
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 218
    Given: 437

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Agree.

    Winning cures all ills. If OU/oSu were undefeated Bedlam would be getting the publicity of a CCG and the winner would be going to the NCG.

    If you want a laugh go to Land Thieves and read the OU fans cry about the (low) quality of the conference. I wonder if it's ever occurred to them that a ten team league was designed to get UT/OU into the NCG.
    If they quality is so low they should be undefeated.



  8. #83
    Addict
    Points: 203,986, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    9,959
    Points
    203,986
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 111

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I dunno, I think this sometimes but it might be short-sighted. I'm on record in this thread stating I want to add teams but that's just selfishness in that I think it would be better for our W-L record.

    As far as the health of the conference goes UT & OU need to start holding up their end of the bargain and win.
    It's short-sighted if you're only using the current FB and MBB teams as your rationale. I was thinking more in terms of, there was no way that WVU would have gotten the ACC invite that Louisville got (or a B1G or SEC invite for that matter). They would still be available now as a viable addition if we had passed. Louisville, obviously, is not.

    TCU is kind of the same story, but since that addition happened between A&M leaving and Mizzou leaving, it kind of made more sense at the time.



  9. #84
    Addict
    Points: 152,102, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,290
    Points
    152,102
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    If they quality is so low they should be undefeated.
    Exactly, the elimination of the CCG was a clear message to UT & OU; win and you're going to the NCG. Now the OU fans cry because the competition they can't even beat isn't good enough. Nonsense.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  10. #85
    Addict
    Points: 152,102, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,290
    Points
    152,102
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    It's short-sighted if you're only using the current FB and MBB teams as your rationale. I was thinking more in terms of, there was no way that WVU would have gotten the ACC invite that Louisville got (or a B1G or SEC invite for that matter). They would still be available now as a viable addition if we had passed. Louisville, obviously, is not.

    TCU is kind of the same story, but since that addition happened between A&M leaving and Mizzou leaving, it kind of made more sense at the time.
    Gotcha.

    Adding TCU isn't now and won't be a mistake, imo simply because I believe having four teams in Texas is good for recruiting and a school in the metroplex is a good as any other.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  11. #86
    Speechless
    Points: 265,846, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,357
    Points
    265,846
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 9

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Exactly, the elimination of the CCG was a clear message to UT & OU; win and you're going to the NCG. Now the OU fans cry because the competition they can't even beat isn't good enough. Nonsense.
    The "names" don't excite them they say. Bunch of rednecks.



  12. #87
    Speechless
    Points: 265,846, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,357
    Points
    265,846
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 9

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    WVU and TCU were decent adds. I have no problem with either other than the geographic challenge of WVU.

    WVU is a flagship school unlike Louisville and that is a good thing. Louisville is a flash in the pan and nothing more.



  13. #88
    Addict
    Points: 203,986, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    9,959
    Points
    203,986
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 111

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Gotcha.

    Adding TCU isn't now and won't be a mistake, imo simply because I believe having four teams in Texas is good for recruiting and a school in the metroplex is a good as any other.
    Yea, TCU was obviously meant to be a 1-for-1 replacement for A&M and still makes sense in that regard.



  14. #89
    Addict
    Points: 203,986, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    9,959
    Points
    203,986
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 111

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    WVU and TCU were decent adds. I have no problem with either other than the geographic challenge of WVU.

    WVU is a flagship school unlike Louisville and that is a good thing. Louisville is a flash in the pan and nothing more.
    Obviously the ACC didn't think so. And I don't think they would have taken WVU over Louisville if both had been available.



  15. #90
    Prospect
    Points: 2,521, Level: 14
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    59
    Points
    2,521
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

    Re: If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

    I would say add Cinci and Memphis. Both good sized schools, currently in the AAC. Cinci has an enrolement of 42k(33k on main campus) and Memphis is 23k. Both schools bring new recruiting/TV markets as well as recent success in FB and MBB. Geographically, they are more appealing than Utah or Florida, and they make a good middle ground for WVU to travel. The biggest thing is this puts the Big 12 in Ohio, the 4th biggest state for FB recruting.

    The Conference counld be split North/South. North- Cincy, ISU, KU, KSU, Memphis, and WVU. South- Baylor, OSU, OU, TCU, Tech, UT. We can keep the 9 game conference schedule playing 5 in-division and 4 cross-division, playing home-and-homes and rotating on a 2 year on, 1 year off basis. That way you play everyone at least 2 times every 3 years. We could lobby to hold the CCS at JerryWorld annually. The only problem with this setup, is the same as the old Big 12- the traditional FB powers are in the South and there is no Nebby to balance them out.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM