View Poll Results: McCarney should be:

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fired Now.

2 0.94%
  • Fired at season's end, no matter what.

19 8.92%
  • Fired at season's end if we don't win the North.

68 31.92%
  • Allowed at least one more season, if not more.

88 41.31%
  • Kept here for as long as he'll stay.

36 16.90%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 859
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0

Re: McCarney - Buy or Sell?

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    I've taken you to task for this type of rhetoric recently; I just don't understand it! I was at the game and Iowa did not play that well. We had them on the ropes (meaning double digit lead) and didn't go for the knock-out punch. DMac's conservative nature hand-delivered the momentum to UI and they never gave it back. You claim you're "not willing to settle for mediocrity" yet you're "OK" with the fact we lost a game which was eminently win-able! How do these two statements jive? Will you be "OK" if we play within 21 points of Texas and 14 points of Oklahoma? Will you be "OK" if we lose to Nebraska in OT? At what point do the excuses (budget, facilities, fan support) end and the coach be held accountable? It's been twelve years!
    Being OK with the result and being OK with losing are two different things. I hate losing. I hate it. Period. But we didn't make a lot of mistakes. We didn't have turnovers. Our defense didn't fold up of shop. The biggest screw up was the long kick return and the missed field goal. Our offensive execution could have been better. The point is, I think we played a good game. But we got beat. That happens sometimes. Consider this. Iowa has won 24 of 25 at home prior to this game. We gave them about all they could handle.

And, Yes, I agree we got out-coached in the second half. They made adjustments and we didn't.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Prospect
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Dmac has always went into every game with a solid gameplan that works in the first half. The other team makes adjustments at the half but we never seem to have an option to go to other than the original gameplan. The boys played hard showing some improvement but its the the B12 North or adios

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Unhappy Re: McCarney - Buy or Sell?

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    Being OK with the result and being OK with losing are two different things.
    Not really! Do you agree that this was a win-able game? If so, you really can't consider this a "moral victory"; it's simply yet another in a long string of losses that could have been wins. After twelve years under this regime, your expectations should be higher...

Walk On
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 523
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Hold - for now. Mac's teams always seem to get a lead and then try to coast to victory. Today we saw where they learned this trick. 1:22 to go and 3 time outs and Mac wants to coast!!!!! Yes we may have screwed up, but Iowa already had all the momentum they needed, couldn't we at least trusted our guys enough to make a play instead of saying they might screw up and give Iowa the HALFTIME lead? How can they win when the staff says we can't try to turn the game around? The play calling was fine, it is simply the inability to lead a team to victory. Coasting in NOT an option!!! People want to talk about the 4th and 10 call as gutsy, but when you're down it's easy to lay it all on the line and make a gutsy call. Do it when you have a lead and NEED to make a play!

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Pete Carroll: "We didn't bring him (Diante Garrett) all the way down from New Jersey to gain only 35 yards." This quote was from USC's head coach responding to his All-American wide receivers preformance against Arkansas.

Good teams find ways to get their playmakers the ball. That's how you win ball games.

Compare Pete Carroll's mentality with Coach Mac's.

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by moater View Post
    Dmac has always went into every game with a solid gameplan that works in the first half. The other team makes adjustments at the half but we never seem to have an option to go to other than the original gameplan.
    EXACTLY!! Mac is not a gameday coach. End of story. If I was coaching against Mac, I would not be nervous at all about the score at halftime. That is my biggest gripe with Mac. I want a different gameday coach!!!

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

And, Yes, I agree we got out-coached in the second half. They made adjustments and we didn't.[/quote]
    Oh my God, are reading what you are writing???

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 486
    Given: 261

I am solidly in the buy column. I watched/ listened to the first half before going into a wedding (#$&*#!!). And I caught the final minute or two. I can handle a road loss to a top 20 team, where they were in it the whole game, didn't self destruct, and where the other team played well. I feel better about ISU than I did before the game. They have a tough, tough stretch of games, and I think if they can come out of the next four games at 5-2 or even 4-3, I feel really good about their chances in the North. We should stay fully behind the team.

Prospect
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Keep him. Lost a freind last night. Puts things in perspective.

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    And, Yes, I agree we got out-coached in the second half. They made adjustments and we didn't.
    Oh my God, are reading what you are writing???[/QUOTE]

Amen brother, our coordinators got taken to school in the second half-they ran basically two plays, one of which is the obnoxioux bubble screen, that got all their yards in the second half.

And they shut us down. Their secondary is horrific and we couldn't pass in the second half? What is up with that? Why don't we try the obnoxious bubble screen.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Lowest budget equals just where we are at... anti up if u want something different

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    I want to ask all of the fans two questions:
    1)Do you feel that you deserve to have a winning football program (not 6-5, but 8-9 wins consistently)???
    2)With what we know of Mac, and we have plenty of evidence after 12 years, do you feel he is the coach to take this program to the next level???
    I would appreciate feedback, with solid reasoning, not just yes/no.
    Thank you for your taking time to consider these questions.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, we as fans don't "deserve" anything. Why do we deserve anything? We can't sell out our stadium or have even a respectable budget in the Big 12. In fact, if we're talking about what we "deserve" as fans, we probably deserve a team like Baylor's. When people start talking about what we deserve, it just pisses me off.

There are no moral victories here, but losing to Iowa at Kinnick with a senior quarterback isn't a bad loss. Jesus, if Meyer makes that first down and keeps himself in bounds, we might have won the game. And by the way, that was a very agressive call. I think Mac called an agressive game, and Iowa just played better than us. Hey, guess what, that happens to some good teams and programs. This whole thread is re-god-damn-diculous.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Those of you supporting McCarney, can you think of any justification for sitting on it at the end of the first half? Less than 50 yards to have a legitimate field goal chance, over a minute left, and three time outs. It blows my mind.

I was going to argue that budget and talent level have not been huge factors in the recent past as I can just think of so many talented players. We've had two NFL caliber QBs, and Bret is very good. Blythe is amazing. People are talking NFL for DeAndre. We've had Ellis, Dobbins, and Leaders. A quick google search revealed this though. Note that it is for last year.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressR...php?PRID=10070
    Players on NFL Training Camp Rosters
    As of Aug. 5, 2005
    Big 12 Rankings

Texas A&M 42
    Nebraska 42
    Oklahoma 35
    Kansas State 34
    Colorado 33
    Texas 25
    Missouri 17
    Oklahoma State 14
    Texas Tech 14
    Baylor 11
    Kansas 9
    Iowa State 8

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by GM4ISU View Post
    Lowest budget equals just where we are at... anti up if u want something different
    If we canned Mac, we wouldn't be able to afford the likes of Mark Mangino. Part of upgrading coaches is being able to upgrade their payscale. Midmajor schools are realizing that their coaches are jumping ship for bigger budget schools. I think it was Boise State that just gave their coach a huge pay raise in the off season.
    Don't forget that not all risk taking on coaches pay off. Colorado is seeing that right now. Nebraska went through a lot of pains to get back to where they are now, which is still no where near where they had been.
    I think as long as McCarney can continue to upgrade the talent, budget and facilities of our program, we should keep him around.
    Someone mentioned Bill Snyder earlier, incredible coach. He and Barry Alvarez are the only two coaches in the recent era to quickly rebuild a program to prominence. We will see once what the programs do under new supervision.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    I think as long as McCarney can continue to upgrade the talent, budget and facilities of our program, we should keep him around.
    Someone mentioned Bill Snyder earlier, incredible coach. He and Barry Alvarez are the only two coaches in the recent era to quickly rebuild a program to prominence. We will see once what the programs do under new supervision.
    Big 12 North Title THIS YEAR or bust for me. 12 years was long enough to fight and defeat the Great Depression, the Nazis, and the Japanese. Apparently it is not long enough to build a championship-caliber FB team at ISU. As for other coaches getting it done quickly: Dennis Erickson at Oregon State (Fiesta Bowl win over ND), Joe Tiller at Purdue (Rose Bowl with Drew Breese), and Les Miles at Oklahoma State (Cotton Bowl) all put their teams into big bowls in under 3 years.

URBCLONE