Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 35

Do US Citizens Get Scholarships to International Universities for Athletics?

Was reading an article about a girl from England playing soccer for St. Johns....got me thinking about whether or not US citizens get athletic scholarships to international universities? I have no problem with the foreign players in the NCAA but I could understand an argument that US tax dollars fund the public universities and why are US tax dollars paying for international athlete's education (and non-athletes on scholarship).

So...do US citizen's get scholarships to international universities? There are some great educations to be had abroad and would really offer a great opportunity for someone may not quite athletic enough for D1 in the US.

What are your thoughts on international "student-athletes" at publicly funded universities getting athletic scholarships?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 629

Re: Do US Citizens Get Scholarships to International Universities for Athletics?

Are you a secret BYU fan that is still mad at Ejim?

Rookie
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 35

Re: Do US Citizens Get Scholarships to International Universities for Athletics?

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Are you a secret BYU fan that is still mad at Ejim?
    No...I'm a Cyclone fan who recognizes unless I marry LoLo Jones my children have a better shot a good education/scholarship in England than they do in the US.

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 1

No, just no.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,637
    Given: 2,134

Quote Originally Posted by 1Nation View Post
    Was reading an article about a girl from England playing soccer for St. Johns....got me thinking about whether or not US citizens get athletic scholarships to international universities? I have no problem with the foreign players in the NCAA but I could understand an argument that US tax dollars fund the public universities and why are US tax dollars paying for international athlete's education (and non-athletes on scholarship).

So...do US citizen's get scholarships to international universities? There are some great educations to be had abroad and would really offer a great opportunity for someone may not quite athletic enough for D1 in the US.

What are your thoughts on international "student-athletes" at publicly funded universities getting athletic scholarships?
    I don't care.If someone deserves a scholarship, give them a scholarship.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 17

No...I'm a Cyclone fan who recognizes unless I marry LoLo Jones my children have a better shot a good education/scholarship in England than they do in the US.
    what?

Prospect
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JWIL4CY View Post
    what?
    Education is less attainable here than there. This is a fact.

Also, it may be of lower quality, as evidence by your lack of reading comprehension.

Addict
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,268
    Given: 347

Using your logic, why would the issue be with international students? Why not out-of-state students? ISU's rosters are packed with athletes from Texas, Florida, California, etc., yet the state of Iowa provides financial support for the university as a whole.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by dsbnh View Post
    Education is less attainable here than there. This is a fact.

Also, it may be of lower quality, as evidenceD by your lack of reading comprehension.
    That must be why international students from all over the world flood into the US every year, because of the poor quality, eh?

Also FIFY.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 9

Other countries don't have college athletics like we do. They don't generally give out scholarships for sports....if they have teams at all. (I'm sure there are some exceptions)

And yes, our public universities don't receive much Federal money for the general budget (of course there are a lot of grants and such), so it is really the states who are getting ripped off....so you should be just as mad about out-of-state players as you are about out-of-country ones.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 412
    Given: 273

1) International students do not qualify for in-state tuition, unless they hold a green-card or special visa, so there's that.

2) There is a limit on the number of international students a community college can have for its athletics program; this is, only 1/4 of the total scholarships can be offered to students who are not U.S. citizens. There is also a cap on the total number of eligible foreign athletes, so that all foreign students cannot just pay their own way and earn a walk-on spot on any teams. As far as I can tell, this cap does not exist in the NCAA, as it is regarded as discriminatory. How JUCO can do it while the NCAA cannot is beyond me, but maybe because they do not receive as much federal funding as public universities do, I don't know.

3) As for university teams abroad, that really doesn't exist, at least in Europe. The teams that play across the continent are semi-pro teams tied to cities, and not schools. So, logically, there would be no quid pro quo for foreign students who play in the U.S.

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 1

Yeah but Canada has college football with 12 players of about D-II or D-III level and every year Oxford and Cambridge have a boat rowing contest on television on England. So its about the same.

Prospect
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by digZ View Post
    That must be why international students from all over the world flood into the US every year, because of the poor quality, eh? Also FIFY.
    The vast majority of those students either come from third world countries or receive scholarships to come from European countries due to a special skills. None of this contradicts the fact that in many other countries of equal economic standing, higher education is far more financially attainable than in the US. No one even seriously suggested the quality of the education was poor; we said it was not easily attainable. The "lower quality" was just a joke on your obvious problems assessing this issue. Thanks for the typo check, now work on your logical reasoning ability and reading comprehension. My excuse was posting late at night where I am at, what is your excuse?

Last edited by dsbnh; 11-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 98

We are the only country that has student-athlete in our education systems. Other countries don't have NCAA. If students want to play sports, usually they go to the club and the club trains them as apprentice.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by pourcyne View Post
    1) International students do not qualify for in-state tuition, unless they hold a green-card or special visa, so there's that.

International students can also get in-state tuition if they get assistanship (e.g. becoming TA, GA or RA), but assistanship is also available for out-of-state students.