Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: "Catching Fire"

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 102,916, Level: 99
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,408
    Points
    102,916
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 329

    "Catching Fire"

    I saw this last night as part of a local double feature; the theater showed the first movie and then "Catching Fire" half an hour afterwards.

    I'm happy to report to fans of the book series and those who liked the first movie that "Catching Fire" is absolutely excellent. Very faithful to the book (leaving out just a few minor details and characters), and the cast pulls it off spectacularly. It's interesting; normally I don't give a crap about costuming in movies, but since it's so important in this trilogy (rich, opulent clothing for those in the Capitol versus very plain clothing for District 12), it ended up being something I paid a lot of attention to, and I would be disappointed if the costume designer isn't at least nominated for an Oscar.

    Only drawback that I can think of is that at least half, if not most, of the audience was composed of tittering 7th-grade girls who could not or would not shut up during the whole movie. I've never heard so many collective "Ohhh's...."watching a movie as I heard last night. Got rather annoying after the first five minutes of it, but otherwise I would highly encourage anyone to see it, whether or not you've read the books.


    "The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 250,588, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    11,254
    Points
    250,588
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,245
    Given: 3,385

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    I saw this last night as part of a local double feature; the theater showed the first movie and then "Catching Fire" half an hour afterwards.

    I'm happy to report to fans of the book series and those who liked the first movie that "Catching Fire" is absolutely excellent. Very faithful to the book (leaving out just a few minor details and characters), and the cast pulls it off spectacularly. It's interesting; normally I don't give a crap about costuming in movies, but since it's so important in this trilogy (rich, opulent clothing for those in the Capitol versus very plain clothing for District 12), it ended up being something I paid a lot of attention to, and I would be disappointed if the costume designer isn't at least nominated for an Oscar.

    Only drawback that I can think of is that at least half, if not most, of the audience was composed of tittering 7th-grade girls who could not or would not shut up during the whole movie. I've never heard so many collective "Ohhh's...."watching a movie as I heard last night. Got rather annoying after the first five minutes of it, but otherwise I would highly encourage anyone to see it, whether or not you've read the books.

    Ok, be honest with me here, how hot is J-Law in this movie?


    When Kidz C da Hilton Atmosphere N are style of play, theys gets totes inerested in iowa state
    - Fred Hoiberg

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 12,453, Level: 33
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    830
    Points
    12,453
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 31

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Had a similar experience with pre teens that wouldn't keep their yap shut. Also... anyone else find people who clap at the end of a movie annoying? Same group clapped during the movie in parts... it is mostly people in their 40s and 50s that do it. IDK, maybe my going to the movies every weekend for the past two years has taken some magic out of it. Clapping after a movie still seems ridiculous.

    And Brett... 8 is where I'd put her in comparison to other recent movies.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 122,580, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,431
    Points
    122,580
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 552
    Given: 535

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    We are taking eight girls tonight they'd better keep their mouths shut and their damn phones off!

    I actually thought the first installment was BETTER than the book (yes, I read it), which is obviously rare.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 102,916, Level: 99
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,408
    Points
    102,916
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 329

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bret44 View Post
    Ok, be honest with me here, how hot is J-Law in this movie?
    She looks pretty good. I definitely think she's quite attractive, although I don't think she's as gorgeous as Anne Hathaway, IMO.

    There were times where the makeup she was wearing (which was appropriate for the character and the movie) made her look quite exotic and again IMO not quite as good as other parts of the movie, but she does look good. I guess the fact that she's playing a teenager makes an attraction to her kind of awkward for me.

    I think the actress who plays Johanna Mason (Jena Malone) looks pretty good as well. It's too bad that the character of Effie is so heavily made-up the way she is, as I've always found Elizabeth Banks to be stunning.


    "The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 102,916, Level: 99
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,408
    Points
    102,916
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 329

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonetrombone View Post
    Had a similar experience with pre teens that wouldn't keep their yap shut. Also... anyone else find people who clap at the end of a movie annoying? Same group clapped during the movie in parts... it is mostly people in their 40s and 50s that do it. IDK, maybe my going to the movies every weekend for the past two years has taken some magic out of it. Clapping after a movie still seems ridiculous.

    And Brett... 8 is where I'd put her in comparison to other recent movies.
    I don't mind clapping so much, but during the first movie there was someone in the audience that kept on laughing during really weird, inappropriate moments (after characters got killed off, etc.). It was also a real maniacal, evil scientist kind of laugh as well. It was just really odd to hear.


    "The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 85,668, Level: 91
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,782
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Ciclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    3,303
    Points
    85,668
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 445
    Given: 409

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    We are taking eight girls tonight they'd better keep their mouths shut and their damn phones off!

    I actually thought the first installment was BETTER than the book (yes, I read it), which is obviously rare.
    Haha. I've been there. Good luck!


    "I'm the one who knocks."

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 206,997, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    10,664
    Points
    206,997
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,230
    Given: 151

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    She looks pretty good. I definitely think she's quite attractive, although I don't think she's as gorgeous as Anne Hathaway, IMO.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 85,092, Level: 90
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Gnomeborg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,375
    Points
    85,092
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 385
    Given: 69

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    We are taking eight girls tonight they'd better keep their mouths shut and their damn phones off!

    I actually thought the first installment was BETTER than the book (yes, I read it), which is obviously rare.
    I'm hoping the third movie is quite a bit better tan Mockingjay the book. What a disappointing turd of a trilogy-ender.



    "It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

  10. #10
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 280,152, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    17,498
    Points
    280,152
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,076
    Given: 632

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Wife is a huge fan of the books (and first movie) so we are going tonight. At her urging, I've read all 3 books after seeing the first movie and they are pretty good actually.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 172,826, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    12,160
    Points
    172,826
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 652
    Given: 2,763

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    I'm assuming you're referring to the Hunger Games right? I know nothing about the books or first movie but I have had the first movie in my Netflix instant queue for a while. Should I watch soon?


    Kansas wears Adidas.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 134,072, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,089
    Points
    134,072
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 955
    Given: 816

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Only drawback that I can think of is that at least half, if not most, of the audience was composed of tittering 7th-grade girls who could not or would not shut up during the whole movie. I've never heard so many collective "Ohhh's...."watching a movie as I heard last night. Got rather annoying after the first five minutes of it, but otherwise I would highly encourage anyone to see it, whether or not you've read the books.
    I'd email Pollard. It seems to be the thing to do when you have a complaint.


    "The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 508,340, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    34,678
    Points
    508,340
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,927
    Given: 1,315

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Saw this with my wife tonight. It is one of the best film adaptations of a book that I have ever seen. In fact, the movie does a great job detailing things the book doesn't cover (since the books are narrated by Katniss), for instance, without going into spoilers, how the Capital begins targeting Katniss and how they came up with this idea of the games. It was just so well done.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.


  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 144,050, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,070
    Points
    144,050
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 31

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    Saw it today. Great movie. Much better than the first movie (though I liked the first as well). I'm not ashamed to say I got a little dust in my eye during the scene with District 11. Can't wait for Mockingjay, though I read some rumors today that it will be two movies? Better not have to wait several years in between if that is the case!!




  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 79,228, Level: 87
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BallSoHard4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    6,410
    Points
    79,228
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 245

    Re: "Catching Fire"

    I read Hunger Games because someone recommended it. Don't like reading but if kids like it, and it doesn't have to do with vampires, then it can't be bad. Liked it a lot so I read the other two books. definitely thought Catching Fire was the best book so I was excited to see the movie.

    overall the movie was pretty good. They stayed with the storyline of the book while adding some funny parts that I didn't expect. Also Alan Ritchson (Thad Castle) played Gloss so that was pretty awesome. Plus J-Law is a babe. I think they did a great job casting.

    even though it's basically a chick flick I really liked it.


    Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

    Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM