Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 188

"Catching Fire"

I saw this last night as part of a local double feature; the theater showed the first movie and then "Catching Fire" half an hour afterwards.

I'm happy to report to fans of the book series and those who liked the first movie that "Catching Fire" is absolutely excellent. Very faithful to the book (leaving out just a few minor details and characters), and the cast pulls it off spectacularly. It's interesting; normally I don't give a crap about costuming in movies, but since it's so important in this trilogy (rich, opulent clothing for those in the Capitol versus very plain clothing for District 12), it ended up being something I paid a lot of attention to, and I would be disappointed if the costume designer isn't at least nominated for an Oscar.

Only drawback that I can think of is that at least half, if not most, of the audience was composed of tittering 7th-grade girls who could not or would not shut up during the whole movie. I've never heard so many collective "Ohhh's...."watching a movie as I heard last night. Got rather annoying after the first five minutes of it, but otherwise I would highly encourage anyone to see it, whether or not you've read the books.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,956
    Given: 1,836

Re: "Catching Fire"

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    I saw this last night as part of a local double feature; the theater showed the first movie and then "Catching Fire" half an hour afterwards.

I'm happy to report to fans of the book series and those who liked the first movie that "Catching Fire" is absolutely excellent. Very faithful to the book (leaving out just a few minor details and characters), and the cast pulls it off spectacularly. It's interesting; normally I don't give a crap about costuming in movies, but since it's so important in this trilogy (rich, opulent clothing for those in the Capitol versus very plain clothing for District 12), it ended up being something I paid a lot of attention to, and I would be disappointed if the costume designer isn't at least nominated for an Oscar.

Only drawback that I can think of is that at least half, if not most, of the audience was composed of tittering 7th-grade girls who could not or would not shut up during the whole movie. I've never heard so many collective "Ohhh's...."watching a movie as I heard last night. Got rather annoying after the first five minutes of it, but otherwise I would highly encourage anyone to see it, whether or not you've read the books.

Ok, be honest with me here, how hot is J-Law in this movie?

When Kids see the Hilton Atmosphere and our style of play, the get really interested in Iowa State
    - Fred Hoiberg

Starter
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 28

Had a similar experience with pre teens that wouldn't keep their yap shut. Also... anyone else find people who clap at the end of a movie annoying? Same group clapped during the movie in parts... it is mostly people in their 40s and 50s that do it. IDK, maybe my going to the movies every weekend for the past two years has taken some magic out of it. Clapping after a movie still seems ridiculous.

And Brett... 8 is where I'd put her in comparison to other recent movies.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 397

We are taking eight girls tonight they'd better keep their mouths shut and their damn phones off!

I actually thought the first installment was BETTER than the book (yes, I read it), which is obviously rare.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bret44 View Post
    Ok, be honest with me here, how hot is J-Law in this movie?
    She looks pretty good. I definitely think she's quite attractive, although I don't think she's as gorgeous as Anne Hathaway, IMO.

There were times where the makeup she was wearing (which was appropriate for the character and the movie) made her look quite exotic and again IMO not quite as good as other parts of the movie, but she does look good. I guess the fact that she's playing a teenager makes an attraction to her kind of awkward for me.

I think the actress who plays Johanna Mason (Jena Malone) looks pretty good as well. It's too bad that the character of Effie is so heavily made-up the way she is, as I've always found Elizabeth Banks to be stunning.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonetrombone View Post
    Had a similar experience with pre teens that wouldn't keep their yap shut. Also... anyone else find people who clap at the end of a movie annoying? Same group clapped during the movie in parts... it is mostly people in their 40s and 50s that do it. IDK, maybe my going to the movies every weekend for the past two years has taken some magic out of it. Clapping after a movie still seems ridiculous.

And Brett... 8 is where I'd put her in comparison to other recent movies.
    I don't mind clapping so much, but during the first movie there was someone in the audience that kept on laughing during really weird, inappropriate moments (after characters got killed off, etc.). It was also a real maniacal, evil scientist kind of laugh as well. It was just really odd to hear.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,523
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 285
    Given: 288

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    We are taking eight girls tonight they'd better keep their mouths shut and their damn phones off!

I actually thought the first installment was BETTER than the book (yes, I read it), which is obviously rare.
    Haha. I've been there. Good luck!

"I'm the one who knocks."

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 898
    Given: 107

She looks pretty good. I definitely think she's quite attractive, although I don't think she's as gorgeous as Anne Hathaway, IMO.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 281
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post

I'm hoping the third movie is quite a bit better tan Mockingjay the book. What a disappointing turd of a trilogy-ender.

"It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 390

Wife is a huge fan of the books (and first movie) so we are going tonight. At her urging, I've read all 3 books after seeing the first movie and they are pretty good actually.

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 2,049

I'm assuming you're referring to the Hunger Games right? I know nothing about the books or first movie but I have had the first movie in my Netflix instant queue for a while. Should I watch soon?

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 695
    Given: 581

I'd email Pollard. It seems to be the thing to do when you have a complaint.

"The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 935

Saw this with my wife tonight. It is one of the best film adaptations of a book that I have ever seen. In fact, the movie does a great job detailing things the book doesn't cover (since the books are narrated by Katniss), for instance, without going into spoilers, how the Capital begins targeting Katniss and how they came up with this idea of the games. It was just so well done.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 30

Saw it today. Great movie. Much better than the first movie (though I liked the first as well). I'm not ashamed to say I got a little dust in my eye during the scene with District 11. Can't wait for Mockingjay, though I read some rumors today that it will be two movies? Better not have to wait several years in between if that is the case!!

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 210

I read Hunger Games because someone recommended it. Don't like reading but if kids like it, and it doesn't have to do with vampires, then it can't be bad. Liked it a lot so I read the other two books. definitely thought Catching Fire was the best book so I was excited to see the movie.

overall the movie was pretty good. They stayed with the storyline of the book while adding some funny parts that I didn't expect. Also Alan Ritchson (Thad Castle) played Gloss so that was pretty awesome. Plus J-Law is a babe. I think they did a great job casting.

even though it's basically a chick flick I really liked it.

Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.