Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 57

Roster depth an issue?

I realize Ejim, Hogue, and Kane won't be exiting every game early, but I did not see a whole lot from the bench last night to feel good about a similar situation re-occurring. Does anyone think a lack of prior experience has led to guys like SDW and Bluford not seeing much action against our tougher opponents, and will this change before Before Big 12 play starts? Also, where has Percy been? He played in games like last night as a freshman, but now Fred won't put him in there as a junior? Is depth a concern or will we see more of these guys as the season progresses?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 355

Re: Roster depth an issue?

We had a lack of depth in 2000 also.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 4

It's only the 4th (or 5th counting the exhibition) game. Two of those games have been cupcakes. Two have been tough opponents. Two have had Ejim back. I'm guessing CFH wants to get Ejim worked in as much as possible with his starters right now and get them to gel. With the other guys, obviously we will see them more with the next few games coming up, but when it comes to Iowa, they will probably be back to a 7 or 8 man rotation.

I don't think it is something to get too concerned about yet. We have to just trust CFH on this. He knows he is going to probably need some more depth come Big 12 season, but maybe the guys just have not stepped up in practice yet, or have not done really well in their game opportunities yet. Maybe it is just a matter of some of them waking up a little bit more.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,521
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 81

Just give the ball to Niang late.
    End of thread.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,386
    Given: 2,892

They will get better. By the time conference time comes around Fred will have a good 8-9 man rotation. Right now many of the guys are new to the team and don't have their role defined yet. In the past two years it's taken most of the non-con for everyone to get it. A big positive is that we are playing very well early and we still haven't got everything figured out yet.

Percy is just not getting it done. It's probably an issue in practice as well knowing Fred. I have a feeling he doesn't have the work ethic really get better. He was better as a freshman because he had Royce feeding him easy shots down low. I don't see him really being a factor the next two years unless he makes some drastic changes.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 850
    Given: 620

I think we have more depth than people think. Hoiberg is going to play a 7-8 man rotation and will have his best players on the court as much as possible, if people get in foul trouble or need a breather we have serviceable people past our top 7

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 78

Fred trusts the top 7 in two tough games right now... Normally a program won't be playing this type of competion this early in the season.
    I think the Staff uses the next few non-conference games to play various combinations and get some of the other guys comfortable on the floor. I am guessing one or two players will gain trust and get 5-10 minutes to rest the top 7 by B12 season.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Cyinthenorth View Post
    I realize Ejim, Hogue, and Kane won't be exiting every game early, but I did not see a whole lot from the bench last night to feel good about a similar situation re-occurring. Does anyone think a lack of prior experience has led to guys like SDW and Bluford not seeing much action against our tougher opponents, and will this change before Before Big 12 play starts? Also, where has Percy been? He played in games like last night as a freshman, but now Fred won't put him in there as a junior? Is depth a concern or will we see more of these guys as the season progresses?
    In a way, I think you answered your own question. Percy used to play in games like last night (and all games), and now he doesn't. I realize he hasn't gotten better as we would have hoped, but he probably hasn't regressed either - so you could actually say that we have MORE depth than in the last year or two....we just haven't needed to go that deep yet.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 228

So is this the spin off thread to finding a negative to winning against Michigan? Obviously, for these big games early, Fred really only feels comfortable with the players out there now. Maybe with some more easier games, SDW, Edozie, Percy & Bluford can earn some more playing time. Until then, enjoy the wins and stop searching the kick in the nuts that isn't coming.

Starter
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 12

I think depth in college basketball is overrated. We have had Fred for five seasons and, in reality of minutes, we had a 5-man rotation his first year, a 6.5-man rotation his second year, and a *very clear* 6-man rotation last year. I took a look at the numbers here:

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens...ml#post3703126

Fred plays short. He always has. Maybe it is a style thing, maybe it is a lack of depth, or, maybe, 40-minutes just isn't that long for 19-22 year old young men to play hard and still stay fresh.

The evidence thus far, this year, argues pretty hard for a 7-man rotation, which is actually *more* than the past:

Ejim, Hogue, Kane, Long, Morris, Niang, Thomas

These seven must be a clear cut above the remainder, and your best are going to play. College games are short, the season is short, and there are plenty of timeouts. Granted, I agree with you--last night shows one of the key weaknesses of this team is going to be what happens when somebody (particularly Ejim or Niang) gets in foul trouble. They are small, some big, slow teams are going to try to grind on them to wear them down and foul them out, and we are not going to have a lot after that. That is just how it is going to work, but we thought that before the season started too, looking at this roster.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 728
    Given: 1,543

I've posted this in several threads, but I'll do it again.

Fred is going to use a 7-man rotation primarily (in close games). He's done that every year and will continue to.

"depth" in Hoiball means that there are pieces on the bench that are able to step into the rotation if anything happens (injury, suspension, foul trouble, etc). It doesn't mean playing 10 or 11 every game (like Fran does).

Edozie provided great depth in the game yesterday. He was ready to go off the bench and came up with a huge play.

This year I'd say Bluford, SDW, Edozie and Percy are all pieces that aren't going to be in the rotation, but can step in and fill a role if they are needed.

Addict
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 68

There will without a doubt be at least 4-6 games this year where our lack of depth is an issue and we have to play players in a the danger zone or foul out one or more. Last night was one of those games, so it's great that we escaped with a road win under those circumstances.