Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 218

Re: Mika's Eye Injury Update

In real time that would be impossible to plan unless Kane is a ninja.

"I think I'll get myself kicked out of a huge game with 3 minutes to go. That'll show 'em!"

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,058
    Given: 612

Quote Originally Posted by Die4Cy View Post
    Non slow mo, now with 50% more BYU announcer homerism:

THey guy said he didn't think it was intentional. Not sure on the homerism. Can you imagine Heft in that situation?

“They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 11

Talk about kicking a guy when he is down...... (man Mika had tough night)

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 33

Okay... couple of things. First, Mika is only a freshman, right?... Wow. Kid's going to be good when/if he plays again after his two year mission...

2nd: Both the elbow to the face and the eye poking looked like they were accidents. Kane's looked a heck of a lot worse, and after watching the replay, what choice did the refs really have. We can argue all we want about how Kane was anticipating the ball coming up and trying to strip it (but apparently thought Mika's face was the ball), but the reality is if you watch the replay, it looks like Kane is a freaking kung fu master taking Mika out. I truly believe it was a complete and unfortunate accident, and you can see Kane trying to pull his fingers back (curled back oddly) even as he does it, but he still freaking poked the guy in the face/eyes without even touching the ball. I can't argue much with the ejection. The replay looks terrible. On the other side, Mika's elbow did in fact look like a basketball move. I think the foul should have been wiped, but not sure if that's allowed or not. I didn't see any ill will/egregious elbows on Mika's part in this case either, just a result of a lot of normal contact, so agreed with the call after the review (other than the foul shot...). At the end of the day, the two incidents don't relate at all IMO just because the video looks so different. I'm 100% on board with Kane's inadvertent eye rake, but still, out of context, and not knowing Kane beyond his previous rep, it looks a lot worse... I'm hoping Kane sends an apology/get well of some sort, despite it being the accident it was.

As for Ejim, c'mon buddy... Too much. I get it, you're frustrated... But you've gotta do better than/you're too smart for that. Paired with Kane's "eye raking" photo makes this team look bad... If I'm Hoiberg, I actually sit Ejim as punishment for the first half of the next game (though it could be argued that it doesn't really make a point given the next opponent). Kane's "rake" was an accident, but Ejim's incident was a poor decision, and uncharacteristic of him as a person. ISU needs to carry itself better than that... Leave the antics to CF and the Waxman (he needs a bigger jersey or something)... Keep winning, but don't forget to carry yourself as reps of ISU.

"If baseball players speaking in front of Congress can be put on trial for perjury, then why shouldn't the politicians we vote for be held accountable to the same standard during their campaigns?" -Paraphrased from The Newsroom

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

I'm glad to hear it was not more serious. I scratched my cornea once, and did some other damage to my eye from a piece of glass. I had to wear a patch over it for a few days, and did not like being out in the sunlight, but after the initial pain it was not too bad. Took forever it seemed for the eye to completely clear up though in appearance.

He'll look like a tough guy for a while. There next game is Monday against Texas. He probably will be back for that....maybe with a pair of goggles.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Legend
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 271

Quote Originally Posted by Die4Cy View Post
    Non slow mo, now with 50% more BYU announcer homerism:

On that first time he went down... nobody even touched him except for the trainer kicking him. That was an oscar worthy flop.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 12

Glad to hear he'll survive.

Hopefully he'll be able to lead some semblance of a normal life and BYU will honor his scholarship. My thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 138

He will wear a patch for a day and be fine. Good news though anyway.

Legend
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    That was the ref's fault, not the BYU player's.
    I agree with this, but it also means it's not Kane's fault which I'd say about 90% of BYU fans would disagree with. If Mika can throw a faultless bloody elbow to the face, Kane can turn around bringing his hands up into a player's eye.

Either way I hope he is better and doesn't miss games. We've had some violent things this year like Long getting stomped on the ground and I'm sure we'd be mad if our players were injured too.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    Okay... couple of things. First, Mika is only a freshman, right?... Wow. Kid's going to be good when/if he plays again after his two year mission...

2nd: Both the elbow to the face and the eye poking looked like they were accidents. Kane's looked a heck of a lot worse, and after watching the replay, what choice did the refs really have. We can argue all we want about how Kane was anticipating the ball coming up and trying to strip it (but apparently thought Mika's face was the ball), but the reality is if you watch the replay, it looks like Kane is a freaking kung fu master taking Mika out. I truly believe it was a complete and unfortunate accident, and you can see Kane trying to pull his fingers back (curled back oddly) even as he does it, but he still freaking poked the guy in the face/eyes without even touching the ball. I can't argue much with the ejection. The replay looks terrible. On the other side, Mika's elbow did in fact look like a basketball move. I think the foul should have been wiped, but not sure if that's allowed or not. I didn't see any ill will/egregious elbows on Mika's part in this case either, just a result of a lot of normal contact, so agreed with the call after the review (other than the foul shot...). At the end of the day, the two incidents don't relate at all IMO just because the video looks so different. I'm 100% on board with Kane's inadvertent eye rake, but still, out of context, and not knowing Kane beyond his previous rep, it looks a lot worse... I'm hoping Kane sends an apology/get well of some sort, despite it being the accident it was.

As for Ejim, c'mon buddy... Too much. I get it, you're frustrated... But you've gotta do better than/you're too smart for that. Paired with Kane's "eye raking" photo makes this team look bad... If I'm Hoiberg, I actually sit Ejim as punishment for the first half of the next game (though it could be argued that it doesn't really make a point given the next opponent). Kane's "rake" was an accident, but Ejim's incident was a poor decision, and uncharacteristic of him as a person. ISU needs to carry itself better than that... Leave the antics to CF and the Waxman (he needs a bigger jersey or something)... Keep winning, but don't forget to carry yourself as reps of ISU.
    One thing for SURE that no BYU fan can admit. It's not a foul on Hogue's bloody face for coming into contact with Mika's saintly elbow...yet that was the call on that play. They got typical home calls and still lost, they need to get over it and accept it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 402
    Given: 5

Glad to hear there is no risk of vision loss. The eye isn't the toughest of organs, so I was worried this would have some long lasting effects. Intent or no intent, it was a bad situation and he's a heck of a player. I was amazed to see he was a freshman with his frame and the polish to his post game.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

The scratched cornea thing happens in basketball, especially to taller players. Kareem Abdul Jabbar eventually started wearing the goggles after it happened a few times to him.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    The scratched cornea thing happens in basketball, especially to taller players. Kareem Abdul Jabbar eventually started wearing the goggles after it happened a few times to him.
    Sioux City's own Kirk Hinrich has been wearing goggles for about 4 years now.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    On that first time he went down... nobody even touched him except for the trainer kicking him. That was an oscar worthy flop.
    Not true. From the other angle you clearly see that the BYU player already on the floor hit him pretty hard in the shin with the back of his head.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Marcus Fizer wore goggles a few minutes in his first game at ISU. He promised his mom that he would try it because she was worried about his eyes. He couldn't stand them and took them off never to be seen again before the half was even over.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr