Offensive Letdown
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Offensive Letdown

I thought the defense did enough to win. If the offense could have sustained a couple decent second half drives, Iowa only gets 24 points, maybe less.

Somebody needs to tell the offense (including the coaches) about the second half. Nice job not giving up the ball, but the lack of offense really swung the momentum in the second half and set the hawkeyes up for the win.

Does anyone have a status on Parker?

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 592
    Given: 362

Re: Offensive Letdown

People...are you forgetting ALL the tackles that were missed by the ISU defense?

The offense played well today...especially running the ball. The 2nd half defense let us down.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

That's because they were on the field all day. We had the ball for 12 minutes in the second half, we took the air out of the ball, which allowed Tate enough touches to get in a flow.
    We have heard all pre season that our defense was going to be a HUGE question, but our offense would take the heat off of them. Well the players are good, but the schemes are taking the ball out of their hands

Jeffrey A Crawford

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 832
    Given: 3,450

Quote from ISUFan22:
    People...are you forgetting ALL the tackles that were missed by the ISU defense?

The offense played well today...especially running the ball. The 2nd half defense let us down.
    I agree completely. We just laid down and rolled out the red carpet towards our end zone in the second half. Offense was great the first half. Their defense just crept up on us second half, I think.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I wonder, since it was pretty apparent on TV that Iowa's d-backs moved up and took away the comfortable zones in which they were exploiting, that we didn't try any stop and go patterns. Maybe we did, and I missed it, but it seems to me that since the corners, and safetys were sneaking up, they were ripe for a long pass. Again, maybe I am wrong, and they tried several of these plays and I just missed them.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Why didn't we take ANY shots down the sideline to Blythe? Our short passing game is pretty good, but if you can't have a deep threat (don't see why not) downfield, the opposing team will eventually close in and be more effective. That is when you take a shot downfield and make them give you space. That is NOT what we did today.

cyclONEnation
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    Why didn't we take ANY shots down the sideline to Blythe?
    If you're talkig about in the 4th Qtr, then the obvious reason was the wind...we were going into a strong wind that was picking up compared to the rest of the game, that and the fact the EIU's D was doing a better job of covering in the second half. Should we have gone deep a few times earlier in the game? Ofcourse we should have. But I'm personally not mad with our offense, but rather the tackiling skills of our D. How many weak arm tackles did Iowa players break? Every big Iowa play seemed to have one or two easily broken arm tackles. We are going to have to learn to wrap up the opposing players and not just throw out an arm.

Now, onto to Texas...

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    Should we have gone deep a few times earlier in the game? Ofcourse we should have. But I'm personally not mad with our offense, but rather the tackiling skills of our D. How many weak arm tackles did Iowa players break? Every big Iowa play seemed to have one or two easily broken arm tackles. We are going to have to learn to wrap up the opposing players and not just throw out an arm.
    Agreed - this loss was not the offense's fault. The drive for the second touchdown was spectacular. The defense just couldn't stop anything - half-a$$ed attempts at tackles aren't going to cut it against Oklahoma and Texas. And I didn't see us try a nickel defense even once, when they had, what, three or four times as many passing yards as us in the middle of the third quarter? You could tell the d was giving it their all - I don't want to make it sound like they weren't - but I think they got over-tired by the second half.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I know that our defense needs to be able to make stops when we need them to. Like we all know, our D is young and inexperienced, but I think they've played up to expectations so far (Although we always wish it was better). However, what about our hyped offense? Weren't we supposed to have one of the most dangerous offenses in the Big 12? If by dangerous they mean "has the possibility of" then I still agree, we are one of the most dangerous. However, our offense has not lived up to that reputation thus far. 23, 16, and 17 points respectively in the first three games (regulation) is hardly a "dangerous" offense. Yes folks, that's less than 20 points per game. I don't know how anyone couldn't call that an offensive letdown. Our defense played well enough to keep us in the Iowa game. Our offense let it slip away.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Unhappy Re: Offensive Letdown

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    Why didn't we take ANY shots down the sideline to Blythe? Our short passing game is pretty good, but if you can't have a deep threat (don't see why not) downfield, the opposing team will eventually close in and be more effective. That is when you take a shot downfield and make them give you space. That is NOT what we did today.

WAY!!!!!! to conservative. Let it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Very poor pass defense.
    By the way we have a All American wide-receiver;through him the damn ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Our offense has scored 3 points in the second half of the last two games. You can't blame the defense for that. The defense came up with the big turnover at the end of the game to give our offense a chance and they couldn't deliver. This veteran offense is supposedly the strength of this team. They haven't stepped up in the second half of games this season.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    If you're talkig about in the 4th Qtr, then the obvious reason was the wind...we were going into a strong wind that was picking up compared to the rest of the game, that and the fact the EIU's D was doing a better job of covering in the second half. Should we have gone deep a few times earlier in the game? Ofcourse we should have. But I'm personally not mad with our offense, but rather the tackiling skills of our D. How many weak arm tackles did Iowa players break? Every big Iowa play seemed to have one or two easily broken arm tackles. We are going to have to learn to wrap up the opposing players and not just throw out an arm.

Now, onto to Texas...
    I meant taking shots throughout the whole game. We've got to be able to do this in order to open up our offense.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

I agree this shouldn't be placed in the offenses lap, but the last four possessions were 3 and outs, and they only scored 3 points in the second half. That's going to lose us a lot of games.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I agree this shouldn't be placed in the offenses lap, but the last four possessions were 3 and outs, and they only scored 3 points in the second half. That's going to lose us a lot of games.
    True. Anyone seen the final comparison numbers on passing yards? Wasn't it around 148 (Iowa) - 54 (us) in early 3rd quarter?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 592
    Given: 362

Why all this talk about not taking shots down field? Are ya forgetting the time we DID and it was tipped away...could have been intercepted?