Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Re: Kansas at ISU gameday thread.

I freaking hate all things KU, this is a bad loss for us. Not the way I wanted to go into the men's BBall game.

We were at home, poor effort, poor coaching. Can't sugar coat it. If we want to be an elite team or considered one, we have to do the simple things. I don't get it. There was a lot on the line.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Sobchakcyclone View Post
    We were at home, poor effort, poor coaching. Can't sugar coat it. If we want to be an elite team or considered one, we have to do the simple things. I don't get it. There was a lot on the line.
    It really was lost on the simple things. KU is good and probably overall better athletes than most of our players, but we just were not ready to play (or coach) tonight.

Way too many mistakes and errors by almost everyone, except Knuth and Kurht.

ISU had 32 (!) hitting errors, vs. 18 for KU.
    ISU had 12 service errors, vs. 6 for KU (with only 4 ISU aces vs 9 for KU).
    ISU had 9 receive errors, vs. 4 for KU.

53 errors for ISU; 28 for KU. We literally handed them the match on errors.

Even with a 25-error gift, we still lost the 3 sets by only 11 points total.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

While this sounds bad, it might be better for this team to not host an NCAA opening round. Not better for the fans, but maybe better for the team.

For whatever reason, many CJL teams have struggled under pressure in Hilton. ISU teams have had huge upsets when the underdog and under no pressure (vs Nebraska and Texas). But with the exception of KState at Hilton last fall, which was a pressure-packed match, ISU has sometimes struggled in front of the home crowd in must-win type games.

Yes, ISU made it through to the Sweet 16 last season after hosting, but both matches went to 5 sets, and there was some sketchy play by ISU relative to the talent on that team and how they had finished the regular season.

This year's team has had some rough matches in Hilton. They might be better off going somewhere else to play in the opening rounds, but hopefully close enough so fans can travel.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

I was upset with the coaching also for the first time since I began watching ISU volleyball. Kurtt was outstanding, and should have seen the court and served. When we took her out, we lost the game, simple as that. I am not saying that would happen in every game, Capezio has been very good. I also thought Hahn had a poor game. It was impossible to overcome all those things with Kansas hitting on all cylinders. Anyway, we'll see what happens next. Go ISU!

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am still having trouble getting over this game. Even with beating BYU, I can't seem to get over the disappointment.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by mitten1975 View Post
    I was upset with the coaching also for the first time since I began watching ISU volleyball. Kurtt was outstanding, and should have seen the court and served. When we took her out, we lost the game, simple as that. I am not saying that would happen in every game, Capezio has been very good. I also thought Hahn had a poor game. It was impossible to overcome all those things with Kansas hitting on all cylinders. Anyway, we'll see what happens next. Go ISU!
    The team was clearly out of sync. Who knows why. When KH is missing, you know it's going to be a long night. Everyone seems to forget we are a very young team, and we were playing a senior-laden team. Who knows what was wrong with the girls.

But blame the coach? Makes no sense. CJL doesn't play the game. You think she is any less frustrated than you are? You think she should have played Kuhrt more, but she was far from perfect (although I am really impressed with her improvement this season). Other people have wondered why Vondrak doesn't see more playing time. And I can't understand why Nolan gets to start; she has no mobility, her serving is sometimes great but is also sometimes horrible. I see team after team serving to Nolan all night long which tells me a lot. But Christie is a great coach and has done a great job here. I for one am not going to throw her under the bus for this very frustrating loss. This team has been inconsistent all year - I put that down to youth. Not CJL's deficiencies. Where would this team be if Malloy had not transferred? And you most certainly can't blame that on CJL! Look at the recruiting classes she will bring in over the next two years - plus we have 2 or 3 more years out of Capezio, Kuhrt, Bigbee and Knuth. Rock on Christie.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psyclone51 View Post
    I for one am not going to throw her under the bus for this very frustrating loss.
    My statements were a long ways from throwing coach under a bus. If you watch the game, we were ahead in the match, we make the substitution, and then get well behind, put Kuhrt back in and they made a weak little run but not enough to get them back. I am not even saying that leaving Kuhrt in would have made the difference. But it was obvious that the substitution didn't work. I have defended the coach for several years on here, because I believe she is a great coach. I just couldn't make any sense out of that substitution. I am the first to admit that I don't understand near what Christie knows about volleyball. If you know what Christie knows, why she did that, I would prefer that rather than just a simple berating about "trust the coach". I do trust the coach, just don't understand that substitution.