Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 0

Re: NOTEBOOK: Naz Long, the silent assassin

I think it would be great to have Edozie get more involved the next 6-8 non conf games and I think fred will play him more. He's raw but can be a really good rebounder and defender. This team needs one more big to become big 12 serviceable and watch out. Right now we can count on guards Naz and monte for good help off the bench and need just one big to do the same and our depth is set for a loooong run this season.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    Naz plays much better D than Tyrus did tho. Long's D alone earns him the start. Let alone the fact that he is currently our best shooter.
    I know we are all caught up in the moment, and rightfully so, but to say at this point Naz plays much better defense the Tyrus I don't think is correct. We have played 3 games, and won all three. Including the huge win yesterday, but if you remember last year, first it was Babb that Fred used to shut down, then it was Tyrus. Tyrus was huge on the boards, and he had serious hops. I don't want to take anything away at all from Naz, because his upside obviously is quite high, I'm just saying that I think Tyrus was much better than you give him credit for.

It is nice to be able to have either player on the team. I personally will never forget Tyrus's level of hustle. That was indeed off the charts.

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Yeah he was kidding around. He compared Naz to Tyrus McGee for crying out loud. That's a compliment if you ask me.
    Yep. Some haven't picked up that Fred is a jokester and ribs the guys a lot, but in a "one of the guys" type of way. He's very Dry with his humor.

It's why I love Fred...he builds confidence in guys...and yes, teasing that Naz missed it by 6ft and comparing him to Mc3 is his was of doing that .

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 93

I would prefer to bring Houge off the bench. Let Niang, Melvin start and rotate Houge in and each can hopefully get about 30 minutes / game (pending Georges staying out of foul trouble).

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,168
    Given: 2,036

Two things people haven't seemed to figure out about Fred's teams yet:

1) It doesn't matter who starts.
    2) He's not going to play more than a 7 or 8 man rotation in games that matter.

That said, I expect to see Naz go to the 6th man role when Ejim comes back into the starting lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if Ejim doesn't start the BYU game though.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,264
    Given: 326

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    I know we are all caught up in the moment, and rightfully so, but to say at this point Naz plays much better defense the Tyrus I don't think is correct.
    We all love Tyrus for all sorts of reasons but this simply isn't correct. In fact, other teams would specifically pick on Tyrus when he was in the game. Yeah, he played hard, but he was rarely in the right spot defensively.

Having said that, no, Naz is still nowhere on his level. Has a little more proving to do for sure.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by CyMyGuy View Post
    While his schematics and charisma have been complimented well, and rightfully so, I'm beyond thrilled to see how well Hoiberg can develop all these guys (Nader, Hogue, SDW, Custer, etc..). It's not just a flash in the pan either. Fred has developed the game of Melvin, Diante, etc..., and Naz obviously. Truly could not be more excited for the future. Hoiberg is a dream come true for this program. We've got a great one and I'm excited for this ride.
    Great point re: player development. Hand-in-hand with that is Fred's ability to spot talent. Great combination to have.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 589
    Given: 362

I'm with all of you on Fred/staff player development. Naz didn't look remotely like this player in the limited action we saw last year.

I am so excited by what Fred/staff are creating here. Clearly these guys have bought in 100% and are putting in the work during the offseason that leads to Ws in big games such as yesterday.

DG was the first guy in the amazing player development category for Fred - and he got just one year with DG.

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,633
    Given: 425

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Two things people haven't seemed to figure out about Fred's teams yet:

1) It doesn't matter who starts.
    2) He's not going to play more than a 7 or 8 man rotation in games that matter.

That said, I expect to see Naz go to the 6th man role when Ejim comes back into the starting lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if Ejim doesn't start the BYU game though.
    Both true. Kane, Thomas, Long, Hogue, Ejim, Niang, and Morris look like those guys right now. I think that SDW and Edozie have the best potentially to join that list. I think in the remaining non-con (the blowouts, at least) Fred will send out a lot of SDW, Edozie, and maybe Gibson as well to continue developing because we will eventually need at least one of them in a conference game.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Both true. Kane, Thomas, Long, Hogue, Ejim, Niang, and Morris look like those guys right now. I think that SDW and Edozie have the best potentially to join that list. I think in the remaining non-con (the blowouts, at least) Fred will send out a lot of SDW, Edozie, and maybe Gibson as well to continue developing because we will eventually need at least one of them in a conference game.
    Absolutely. Throw Bluford in their as well. Maybe not so much Wednesday night (a game which frankly could mean more for March than yesterdays) but the rest of the non-con SDW, Bluford, Edozie and Gibson should get a lot of run. The game yesterday was unusual in that Fred treated it as a really early conference game.

I was thinking about this more after the game yesterday. I don't think "depth" on a Hoiberg team will ever mean more than a 8-man rotation. It means that there is someone to plug into that rotation if a player goes down (injury or foul trouble).

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 553
    Given: 115

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I would prefer to bring Houge off the bench. Let Niang, Melvin start and rotate Houge in and each can hopefully get about 30 minutes / game (pending Georges staying out of foul trouble).
    Right now, Naz is our best perimeter defender, and the best spot up shooter (if only because he has the experience and confidence right now over Thomas). I don't see why you wouldn't want him starting and playing more minutes over Thomas.

That would actually benefit Thomas, ala Morris. These guys can let the game come to them. Thomas is going to be a good one, but right now he's still gaining confidence and passing up shots that he will eventually take & make.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    Right now, Naz is our best perimeter defender, and the best spot up shooter (if only because he has the experience and confidence right now over Thomas). I don't see why you wouldn't want him starting and playing more minutes over Thomas.

That would actually benefit Thomas, ala Morris. These guys can let the game come to them. Thomas is going to be a good one, but right now he's still gaining confidence and passing up shots that he will eventually take & make.
    I feel confident that Thomas will continue to start. If he struggles through the rest of the non-conf (he won't) they you may see a switch before the conference schedule, but he'll keep starting now (IMO)

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,173
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 224

I don't care how much talent someone has Thomas and Morris had to be scared ******** playing in that environment.

They didn't do much good or bad which was a great contribution for this particular game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 905
    Given: 556

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Yes, our current rotation is working well, so I think Fred will keep the 3-guard lineup with Niang, Ejim, and Hogue playing nearly all the minutes insided and probably Ejim/Hogue getting around 5-10 minutes a game at the 3 depending on the matchup.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,048
    Given: 11

From what we have seen in the first 3 games it's clear that Naz brings more to the table than Thomas, at least at this point. This isn't a knock of Thomas's play either, I think he's done quite well given his lack of experience. But Naz is probably our best on ball defender and is red hot from three. With that said, I think I can see the value in him coming off the bench. I could see Matt, as a freshman, needing to be in that starting lineup to get into the flow of the game, where I doubt Naz would have that same issue. In the end, though, I will do as I do with all questions regarding personnel on the MBB team, completely trust that Fred will do what's best.