Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 0

Re: Cyclone Alley

All everyone was saying last night is CA should not of said what they said. So they say they are sorry and you people b%%%%h about that. WTH do you want from them go% d%amn.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 382
    Given: 219

WHY IS THIS **** STILL BEING DISCUSSED.

IT HAPPENED.

GET OVER IT.

Addict
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,610
    Given: 420

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    Means nothing. He is already committed.....we hope. Show me a similar tweet from any of the MBB recruits there last night.
    Rashad Vaughn tweeted something like "ISU fans are THE BEST! #HandsDown" right after the game, but quickly deleted it.

That's not a joke, you can find it elsewhere online.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it.

To many people, it is a profane word. Don't think so? Try saying it on non-cable tv or on the public/free radio and see what happens.

Again, what other schools do is immaterial, so there is no point in bringing that up. I don't know why anyone would care what happens at other schools, or why you would use what happens there to justify something at ISU.

Yes Johnny Orr swore. So what? How does that justify what came out of CA last night?

I am glad to see the students get involved, but they can do it without having to resort to using the F bomb. That is going to add nothing positive to the atmosphere or to the image ISU projects to others. If you think it does somehow, you are kidding yourself.

The whole thing is there is just no point to it, and nothing positive will come from it, and there is a possibility it could have a negative effect, so why take the chance? To me, to take that chance is just moronic. What is there to gain?
    Actual serious response time.

No, it's not my opinion. Profanity is not a matter of opinion.

Offensive? Sure, that is something that's a matter of opinion, but here's the thing. Here's the golden truth about offensiveness: being offended is a choice. It's an option. I don't offend you, you are offended by something I do. My actions hold no intrinsic offense, you just chose to be offended by them. You can stop. You really can.

As for television: do you really want to go there? ABC briefly showed a woman's bare bottom on NYPD Blue and received a $1 million fine, while Fox received a similar fine for Cher letting drop an F Bomb on a live broadcast. However, when NBC aired Schindler's List uncut, complete with a dozen supposedly banned words by the FCC, and plenty of full nudity, the FCC did nothing.

As for the Johnny Orr subject, let's just agree that there's a double standard here. It was ok for Johnny to have a kid nicknamed "G** D***it," but it's not ok for the students to drop an F' Bomb. One is laughed at, the other, by the same people, is derided.

You make a statement like "having to resort to using" like the use of the word **** is somehow an indication of a low place or status for the word. You're going to have to do some work to prove to me that **** doesn't deserve to be used. When the crowd wanted to say "Mitchell McGary, we disagree strongly with the manner in which you participate in the game of Basketball, and wish for you to experience nothing but ill-luck in your future attempts at success in such," they very succinctly and eloquently summed those feelings up in three syllables: "**** McGary." It got the message across, and, as an added bonus, fit with five syncopated claps that followed. To say that "**** McGary" is somehow a lesser form of communication is pure foolishness. There is profundity in properly applied brevity. **** McGary.

As for adding something positive to the atmosphere, I counter with this: the crowd got into it, chanted along, and got into the kid's head with it. Chanting "**** McGary" while he was at the line was a whole lot more effective than "you're shooting the ref's bad eye" or "hey, your shoe's untied!" from the pep band. One football recruit thought it was awesome, and if the interwebs are to be believed, the #7 recruit in the country in basketball thought it was pretty awesome as well. I'd call that positive.

You say there's no point, but the only way that there is no point is if dropping an F Bomb requires more justification than booing, clapping, or chanting "We Want Vaughn." The student section did not like the way McGary was handling himself, or playing the game. They let him know it. The point is to communicate that they were not happy with him, and they did so. The only reason you think there's no point to it is because you've chosen to place the F word on a pedestal in comparison to other words in the english language. That's your thing. You're the one that thinks **** is special. Why place your limitations on other people? Why be a stumbling stone for them?

Which brings me to your last point, about why take the chance of it offending someone. I'll tell you why: someone somewhere is going to be offended by everything you say or do. People will take offense to everything, because people like to be offended. As stated above, that's their choice. Nothing you say forces them to be offended. They make that choice. And as a result of that fact, living your life in such a way as to not risk someone being offended is the thing that's moronic. It's why kid's get trophies for picking their nose and eating their boogers in little league now.

"It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 396
    Given: 105

I started reading the thread and decided I didn't care enough to keep reading after one page.

There is only one thing I need to know.

Fall has drug on forever and haven't been able to make a game yet. We sit in 134 and is that annoying curly haired blonde girl still sitting in front of CA on the west end. Definition of a CA nazi and "I'm only here so I can put it on my resume".

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,185
    Given: 3,396

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    I started reading the thread and decided I didn't care enough to keep reading after one page.

There is only one thing I need to know.

Fall has drug on forever and haven't been able to make a game yet. We sit in 134 and is that annoying curly haired blonde girl still sitting in front of CA on the west end. Definition of a CA nazi and "I'm only here so I can put it on my resume".
    Yep

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 34

Hmm. I thought it was classy. Guess I'm out of line.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 947
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 50

To the students, I'm sure none of you give a **** what Thurston Howell III thinks of you from their comfy seats they never get out of down in the parquet, but don't worry about it. When I was in school ('05-'09) the old people got ****** at the students because "we" weren't into the games enough.

Know why "we" weren't into the games as much? Greg McDermott and his boring *** strategy of taking the air out of the ball.

Now that we're winning and the games are exciting again, Judge Smails can only ***** about how the volunteer didn't give him a big enough CloneCone so much, so he's back to complaining about the students. As Gnomeborg said, be into it the game from the tip. Everyone deserves to know that Andrew Wiggins and the rest of the KU roster molests collies, and your best opportunity is when they have a quiet moment trying to shoot their free throws.

Some of my best memories of those dark years is asking Doc Sadler when he finally hung up his Grimace suit and started coaching basketball (Doc if you read this I love you you round bastard, keep it up!). You students make Hilton Magic and you only get a few years before you're out and have to sit up in the dark so enjoy the hell out of it and yell whatever you can think of to get into their heads.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 164

so far in this thread Ive learned that many posters think vaughn is from Las Vegas and might go there to stay close to home.

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeborg View Post

Offensive? Sure, that is something that's a matter of opinion, but here's the thing. Here's the golden truth about offensiveness: being offended is a choice. It's an option. I don't offend you, you are offended by something I do. My actions hold no intrinsic offense, you just chose to be offended by them. You can stop. You really

While it is true that you can choose whether or not to be offended, it is not true that actions hold no intrinsic offense. This chant was intended to offend and they choose particular words that are quite likely to offend. That is the point and that is why it worked. It takes mental discipline to not take offense, but there was plenty of offense there to be taken.

As for the offense being taken by fans, I suspect that even you would have your limits. For instance, is it okay to chant McGary's social security number? Or chant something even more vulgar related to McGary's sister? At some point, I think even you would say that there is a line that can be crossed, not just for you personally, but as a matter of propriety. And this shows that even you recognize that actions may have intrinsic offense.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 492

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    so far in this thread Ive learned that many posters think vaughn is from Las Vegas and might go there to stay close to home.
    I was tired last night and wasn't remembering all of my recruiting info. Come on this isn't a main thread about Vaughn. I was looking at where he was going to school which is in Nevada. Either way he is in Nevada which is still close to Vegas. My point was if you really think that yelling F McGary is going to turn him off a lot more than it would encourage him you need to reevaluate your insight into eighteen and nineteen year olds. The other point was he is already there so he might want to stay closer to somewhere he has a footing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 492

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    While it is true that you can choose whether or not to be offended, it is not true that actions hold no intrinsic offense. This chant was intended to offend and they choose particular words that are quite likely to offend. That is the point and that is why it worked. It takes mental discipline to not take offense, but there was plenty of offense there to be taken.

As for the offense being taken by fans, I suspect that even you would have your limits. For instance, is it okay to chant McGary's social security number? Or chant something even more vulgar related to McGary's sister? At some point, I think even you would say that there is a line that can be crossed, not just for you personally, but as a matter of propriety. And this shows that even you recognize that actions may have intrinsic offense.
    I think his point is that even if you say "we don't like you" you can offend people. If it really offends people then they shouldn't go to the games because Cyclone Alley has numerous cuss words coming out of it every game. The limit I have is racist comments.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 567
    Given: 2,620

I didn't realize people were so sensitive to profanity, since every movie I go to that includes it is packed with little kids. Saw a guy take a five year old to Looper. Not sure why anyone expects college students not to use it when they have been exposed to it their entire lives at home and through popular entertainment.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeborg View Post

Offensive? Sure, that is something that's a matter of opinion, but here's the thing. Here's the golden truth about offensiveness: being offended is a choice. It's an option. I don't offend you, you are offended by something I do. My actions hold no intrinsic offense, you just chose to be offended by them. You can stop. You really can.

As for television: do you really want to go there? ABC briefly showed a woman's bare bottom on NYPD Blue and received a $1 million fine, while Fox received a similar fine for Cher letting drop an F Bomb on a live broadcast. However, when NBC aired Schindler's List uncut, complete with a dozen supposedly banned words by the FCC, and plenty of full nudity, the FCC did nothing.

As for the Johnny Orr subject, let's just agree that there's a double standard here. It was ok for Johnny to have a kid nicknamed "G** D***it," but it's not ok for the students to drop an F' Bomb. One is laughed at, the other, by the same people, is derided.

You make a statement like "having to resort to using" like the use of the word **** is somehow an indication of a low place or status for the word. You're going to have to do some work to prove to me that **** doesn't deserve to be used. When the crowd wanted to say "Mitchell McGary, we disagree strongly with the manner in which you participate in the game of Basketball, and wish for you to experience nothing but ill-luck in your future attempts at success in such," they very succinctly and eloquently summed those feelings up in three syllables: "**** McGary." It got the message across, and, as an added bonus, fit with five syncopated claps that followed. To say that "**** McGary" is somehow a lesser form of communication is pure foolishness. There is profundity in properly applied brevity. **** McGary.

As for adding something positive to the atmosphere, I counter with this: the crowd got into it, chanted along, and got into the kid's head with it. Chanting "**** McGary" while he was at the line was a whole lot more effective than "you're shooting the ref's bad eye" or "hey, your shoe's untied!" from the pep band. One football recruit thought it was awesome, and if the interwebs are to be believed, the #7 recruit in the country in basketball thought it was pretty awesome as well. I'd call that positive.

You say there's no point, but the only way that there is no point is if dropping an F Bomb requires more justification than booing, clapping, or chanting "We Want Vaughn." The student section did not like the way McGary was handling himself, or playing the game. They let him know it. The point is to communicate that they were not happy with him, and they did so. The only reason you think there's no point to it is because you've chosen to place the F word on a pedestal in comparison to other words in the english language. That's your thing. You're the one that thinks **** is special. Why place your limitations on other people? Why be a stumbling stone for them?

Which brings me to your last point, about why take the chance of it offending someone. I'll tell you why: someone somewhere is going to be offended by everything you say or do. People will take offense to everything, because people like to be offended. As stated above, that's their choice. Nothing you say forces them to be offended. They make that choice. And as a result of that fact, living your life in such a way as to not risk someone being offended is the thing that's moronic. It's why kid's get trophies for picking their nose and eating their boogers in little league now.
    Fine....for all of you who think it is perfectly okay to use that word, and that being offended is only a matter of choice, and so it is really the other person's problem......feel free to use the word in public all the time and see what happens.

Since you apparently think it is okay to use it so freely, here are a few suggestions where you can start. If you are a student.....say it to your next professor or t.a. in front of the whole class. Just stand up and say F you (professor's name). Or if you have a job, walk up to your boss or supervisor and say, again as publicly as possible.....F you (boss' name)....to their face. More than once of course, and with a little disdain in your voice. Or if you go to church.....stand up next time while the priest or minister is speaking and just scream out F you with his or her name. Report back how those situations work out for you. And please, don't give me the nonsense that this was a sporting event. How does that make it any more appropriate than in any other public situation?

The word is offensive to many people, especially when it is used in a public setting. There is no getting around that fact, no matter how much you want to put the blame on those people for being offended.

No one has shown yet anything positive that came from the chant. Did McGary run off the floor in tears? Did he suddenly stop playing aggressively? What positive thing did the chant accomplish? The problem is, there is a very real chance that a chant like that could offend the wrong people.....the recruits or their family members. How is it a smart move on the part of CA to take that chance? RV and some of the others could be the best recruits in the history of ISU. Is it really a wise move to start a chant like that if there is even a 5 percent chance that one of the recruits might be offended and think negatively about ISU?

Sorry....but that does not seem to be a very intelligent move to me at all. It is totally unnecessary.

Last edited by Dryburn; 11-19-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    -Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

McGary mentioned it in the post-game interview. This seemed to indicate that it got inside his head. If so, then I suspect that chanters will feel confirmed that their chant had a positive effect.