Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 51

Re: Post game analysis-this team

Great win...and I'm encouraged because it never felt flashy, the team just got it done. To do that against a top 10 team is awesome. Give us an average 3 pt shooting night and we could beat anyone.

Side note to the Lazard photo, dude seems all in for the clones.

Addict
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 846
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 199

Kane is like the mirror-extension of Royce White. If RW was a "point-forward," Kane is a "power-guard."

I don't know if this team is quite as good as the end-season teams of 2011-12/2012-13 quite yet, but as others suggested, this unit looks at least 6-8 weeks further ahead of the "gel" curve. A few blunder-stretches throughout the game (sloppiness, bad shot selection, defensive lapses) were similar to games like UNLV & Iowa last season, but were less-frequent, and there were more positives to overcome it (no fear about taking it to the rack, quick outlets after defensive rebounds, scrappiness on defense, ability to battle back from 9-point deficits...things of that nature).

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 92

Don't forget the role the Hilton crowd plays in keeping the ISU players in the game. Part of the reason the team played like this was a mid conference season tilt is because the crowd were reacting exactly as though it was. The crowd can struggle with a game vs. Directional State just as much as the players can.

Hilton Magic is real.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by DSMCy View Post
    Gonna repost this here since the Game Thread has takin a bit of an odd turn.
    Props to UraMallas for the spot.

I took this from my DVR. Pretty sure that's Lazard with a fresh hair cut.

Attachment 23109
    Good catch! Looks ALL IN to me!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by LivntheCyLife View Post
    Two thoughts:

1) Kane is a stud and is going to be a go to guy with this team. The big question for me will be the team's ability to get Thomas/Long/Hogue involved in the offense. I think our offensive spacing and ball movement could use some improvement, especially when Kane is handling the ball at the point.

2) I'd like to see CFH get better at stealing a couple minutes rest for Niang and Ejim. There will be games where Gibson or Edozie are going to need to play so I'd like to see at least one of them getting a couple minutes pretty much every game.
    Ummm... Long was definitely involved in the offense. Did you watch the game? And I'm not sure we want Hogue involved in the offense as far as drawing up plays for him. That's not his job. His job is to play tough defense, rebound like crazy, and get putback points when possible.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Ummm... Long was definitely involved in the offense. Did you watch the game? And I'm not sure we want Hogue involved in the offense as far as drawing up plays for him. That's not his job. His job is to play tough defense, rebound like crazy, and get putback points when possible.
    Long hit some 3s but had 0 assists as did Thomas. I just thought in the past couple years the team has spaced the floor and moved the ball quicker which led to more open 3s. Today, I thought more of the attempted 3s were closely contested. I agree about not running many plays for Hogue to shoot.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by LivntheCyLife View Post
    Long hit some 3s but had 0 assists as did Thomas. I just thought in the past couple years the team has spaced the floor and moved the ball quicker which led to more open 3s. Today, I thought more of the attempted 3s were closely contested. I agree about not running many plays for Hogue to shoot.
    Who cares if he has 0 assists if he has 14 points (or whatever he had)? You shouldn't expect this team to play like last season. Most people are aware that this team wouldn't have the 3 point firepower last season had. This team has guys that are better off the dribble.

I am now a Naz believer! I had my doubts about his game, but he looks very good. What a job by him and the coaching staff to have him playing at this level already. It will be tough to keep all of our guys down at the same time.

I expect the starting lineup to be

Kane
    Thomas
    Hogue
    Niang
    Ejim

Naz is a team guy. He will have no problem coming off the bench. I just hope he stays in the groove he's in now.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I heard Dicky V. use the word defense when talking about ISU! Thought the defense was a lot better for the most part. A couple guys got lost on defense, but good intensity and pretty good at playing within the new touchy rules. Decent team defense for all the new guys.
    Mich went only 4 for 9 for free throws.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 253

Something that stuck out to me today -- they could not guard Kane on the dribble drive to the hoop. He was working his defenders.

Rookie
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 13

I wonder if we could see Naz start over Matt? I have full faith in Matt becoming an amazing player, but he looked a little like a freshman tonight. Not surprising as that is a huge stage for your 3rd start.
    Naz looks pretty sharp on both ends of the floor.

We'll see. Fred may tinker with the line up a little during the rest of the non-con to see what works best.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 146

Quote Originally Posted by psyclone51 View Post
    Maybe in some ways, but one of us has a bad memory. Hogue played really well, good rebounding and good points, although some poor shot selection. What rankled me about Houge was his attitude. So many times when he lost a rebound he looked at the ref and scowled - or sulked. When he missed the 3-pointed in the second half, he dawdled on D and looked like he was sulking. Later in the 2nd, he and Ejim went up for a rebound and Hogue took it away from Ejim (which I have no problem with; its the right thing to focus on possession and not worry who you are fitting with) but the look he gave Ejim on the way up the court was so prima donna. It was like "look at me, I beat you again!" No room for that on this team. He is, and will be, a heck of a player, but he needs to learn his role as a team player - which is a hallmark of Hoiball.
    I love how everyone is a body language expert on here....I didn't get any of that at all from Hogue.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    Something that stuck out to me today -- they could not guard Kane on the dribble drive to the hoop. He was working his defenders.
    He's even better in the post. Almost not fair down there.

As far as team analysis remember this was Thomas and Morris's first big time college experience. Georges looked a little rough at times early last year(well this year too tbh). Matt and Monte should hit their stride at just the right time.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    Who cares if he has 0 assists if he has 14 points (or whatever he had)? You shouldn't expect this team to play like last season. Most people are aware that this team wouldn't have the 3 point firepower last season had. This team has guys that are better off the dribble.

I am now a Naz believer! I had my doubts about his game, but he looks very good. What a job by him and the coaching staff to have him playing at this level already. It will be tough to keep all of our guys down at the same time.

I expect the starting lineup to be

Kane
    Thomas
    Hogue
    Niang
    Ejim

Naz is a team guy. He will have no problem coming off the bench. I just hope he stays in the groove he's in now.
    Oh, I'm definitely a Naz fan too. I'm very excited about the year. Just throwing out the couple things I see that could change this team from a good team to a great team, IMO.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 32

Naz is greatly improved. Honestly never saw him being more than a 15 minute a game guy. He has proved me wrong. Congrats Naz.

Hogue is a darn good basketball player. He will be more of a force on offense than I originally anticipated. He'll have some big games this season.

Ejim has improved his mid range game, IMO, and it will make him a major force throughout the season.

Kane will take over some games this season. Credit to Michigan for generally corralling him, but he'll have some moments of dominance in conference play.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 8

Was impressed with how the team kept it together in tense moments, and battled back when Michigan would try to go on a run. Also, it's always good if you have 4 guys in double figures for scoring outside of a big night for one player.

I like how the things that need to be improved, should be pretty easy to improve. Some of those turnovers were just plain careless. Same with some things on defense. But it's November, and they're correctable and I think this team seems to buy into what they need to do.

I noticed McGeary lending a hand to Ejim when they both came in for the first time this season. I don't know how good Michigan actually is, but I was impressed with the way they play, and how the game stayed clean; I was actually to a point where I wouldn't have been mad if ISU didn't win, because it was obvious that they should have some success this year, and Michigan appears to be a nice team. VERY fun game to watch!