Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 3

Re: Fennelly: "This is a hard place to recruit to"

First of all, what he was saying about what opposing coaches say about Ames and Iowa......I would think that most recruits today simply go online, do a Google search and see that it is all b.s. So, why a coach would say stupid stuff like that.......

Now, I do think coaches might berate the coaching style of another coach, or their failure to win, or recruits that have left the program after a year (or less). To me, those things would be a lot more damaging because they are hard to verify.

No doubt Ames is tough to recruit to compared to say L.A., cities in Florida maybe, or dominant programs like Tennessee or UCON, but I doubt it is harder than cities like Manhattan, KS., Lincoln, Iowa City, Waco, etc.

On top of all that, I have wondered how much attention recruits really give to the city where the school is located. I would think the coaching staff, program success, fan base, facilities and the school itself would be much more important to them.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 20

Re: Fennelly: "This is a haard place to recruit to"

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    The way he said it and the context of it is fine. He wasn't using it as an excuse, he was just commenting on the recruiting game. It is just posters acting like Iowa State is in the middle of a wasteland and that we are the only school in the country that isn't in a perfect location with perfect weather rubs me the wrong way. A whole bunch of schools face similar challenges.
    I absolutely agree with you.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Yes, if only we could have all the advantages of the tropical paradise that is Storrs, Connecticut.
    It's something they have called "tradition" to the tune of MULTIPLE national titles. So, compare that to Iowa State and our TWO Elite 8s. Favorable towards us? Hardly. Plus they do not have the temperature extremes in the winter. Not really a point that needs to be argued.

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,810
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Heard him say this on the post-game presser tonight. I appreciate his honesty, and wonder if any other coaches of our women's teams, like CJL, etc. share this view. Also wonder if any men's coaches agree.
    It is for certain sports. Women's basketball is not one of them. I believe we were second in the country in total attendance last year, and ISU plays in a great women's league. Also, there is still plenty of talent within a 500 mile radius. And it isn't like ISU has to limit itself to that radius either given its academics, facilities, etc.

Volleyball is the same (although I'd like to see upgrade in facility for it, wrestling, and probably gymnastics would fit in with that group). I'd prefer not to hear our head women's basketball coach make these kinds of comments also.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 121

If Bill thinks its tough filling 13 scholarships, I'd hate to see what he would do with 85! Getting a bit off topic here..I think Bill is a great coach, but I really don't buy his beef for WBB.
    He even has decent local talent in Iowa to recruit.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Ames is a great college town with a tremendous following for women's basketball. I don't buy the weather or lack of shiny things given the city is 30 miles from Des Moines. I work with college students....I know the trends of what they like and dislike. The only thing I can think of is the perception of not being able to win it all at ISU. But if it can happen at Purdue or Texas Tech it can happen at ISU.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    This is not true. There have been openly gay players on this team.
    Just because there are openly gay players at ISU doesn't mean they might feel as comfortable as they would on a team where Bill isn't their coach.
    And yes it's true. The person who told me was on staff at another Big12 women's program.
    I know you follow women's basketball a lot but what I typed is what I have heard. This isn't made up.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 157

I don't see his not using all available scholarships as a knock against him (though I do wish he'd use them to reward some in state talent if nothing else). There have been lots of articles and research indicating that female athletes are less likely to be willing to come to a school knowing they might sit on the bench for their entire career than male athletes are. They're more likely to just drop to a lower level and go somewhere they know they can play. Iowa State (and a lot of other schools) end up using male volunteers to be the scout team. So we don't really need a deep bench like we do for the men.

Fennelly's philosophy seems to be that he'd rather let a scholarship be unused rather than give it to somebody he doesn't think he'll get utility out of. Nothing wrong with that since he has another source for practice bodies.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    First of all, what he was saying about what opposing coaches say about Ames and Iowa......I would think that most recruits today simply go online, do a Google search and see that it is all b.s. So, why a coach would say stupid stuff like that.......

Now, I do think coaches might berate the coaching style of another coach, or their failure to win, or recruits that have left the program after a year (or less). To me, those things would be a lot more damaging because they are hard to verify.

No doubt Ames is tough to recruit to compared to say L.A., cities in Florida maybe, or dominant programs like Tennessee or UCON, but I doubt it is harder than cities like Manhattan, KS., Lincoln, Iowa City, Waco, etc.

On top of all that, I have wondered how much attention recruits really give to the city where the school is located. I would think the coaching staff, program success, fan base, facilities and the school itself would be much more important to them.
    The last time I looked UNL and Creighton has decent wbball teams. Maybe he is ahaving trouble recruiting big gals from Texas.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by norsemen View Post
    While Storrs may share Iowa-type weather, it also sits in a very populated area of the country meaning more D1 caliber players in close proximity who may want to play closer to home.

Increase the Iowa population from 3 to 15 million and then you may have a valid comparison.
    So you're telling me women don't just care about cold weather? I coudl've been fooled by some of the previous posts in this thread. My point is, saying men care about winning and going on to professional sports careers (when in fact a very small percent do that) whereas women care about nice weather is a bit patronizing. I'm sure there are a lot of competitive women basketball players out there that care about going to a school with a winning tradition over anything else. That is why Geno has had success at UCONN, not because of weather or population.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 427

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    Just because there are openly gay players at ISU doesn't mean they might feel as comfortable as they would on a team where Bill isn't their coach.
    And yes it's true. The person who told me was on staff at another Big12 women's program.
    I know you follow women's basketball a lot but what I typed is what I have heard. This isn't made up.
    Great, part of the coaching staff of another Big 12 school said this. I have heard repeatedly that this has been used by coaches for negative recruiting against ISU. Do you not see anything in this that gives you even a little pause? Could that coach and program not have an agenda?

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Recruit
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

So you're telling me women don't just care about cold weather? I coudl've been fooled by some of the previous posts in this thread. My point is, saying men care about winning and going on to professional sports careers (when in fact a very small percent do that) whereas women care about nice weather is a bit patronizing. I'm sure there are a lot of competitive women basketball players out there that care about going to a school with a winning tradition over anything else. That is why Geno has had success at UCONN, not because of weather or population.
    There are many factors that matter to recruits including athletic tradition, facilities, fan support, academics, coaching, city and area culture......and yes, even climate. Same for men and women.

Iowa State can compete with the best in many of these categories. But anyone who thinks we are toward the top in all is mistaken. There are other schools that have advantages.....that is all I took Fennelly's comments to mean.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 111

I wonder how much BF talking about the "family" atmosphere is also him feeling pressure to play to the older, central Iowan fanbase that pays the bills.

Rookie
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry if I missed it in this thread but why did this topic even come up after the game? Did someone ask about Bill's recruiting? I don't believe BF has ever made many excuses. It seems kind of random after their second win of the year for this to even be a topic of discussion.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Despite perceptions or misperceptions otherwise, there is little doubt that ISU WBB is safe place for all players. Family means acceptance. More significantly, ISU is serious about its non-discrimination policy. Give them a call and ask about women's basketball. Probably a better source than hearsay from another Big 12 team.

Welcome to the Office of Equal Opportunity! | Office of Equal Opportunity

University Non-discrimination Statement
    "Iowa State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3350 Beardshear Hall, (515) 294-7612."