Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

Briles gets extension

Looks like he will not be going anywhere.

Chuck Carlton@ChuckCarltonDMN2m
    Art Briles had received an 8-year extension last year averaging $3.5 million. This adds three additional years to the deal.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 0

Re: Briles gets extension

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Looks like he will not be going anywhere.

Chuck Carlton@ChuckCarltonDMN2m
    Art Briles had received an 8-year extension last year averaging $3.5 million. This adds three additional years to the deal.
    This means we probably need to extend Rhoads out another 10 years or so, right?

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 115

Where the heck is Baylor getting on this money. They're a small private school that's now paying their coach a ton of money, they're building a new football stadium, and half their basketball team is on payroll. It doesn't make sense.

Cy has balls of steel.

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,059
    Given: 612

Quote Originally Posted by BBHMagic View Post
    Where the heck is Baylor getting on this money. They're a small private school that's now paying their coach a ton of money, they're building a new football stadium, and half their basketball team is on payroll. It doesn't make sense.
    They have been getting an influx of donations. Just last year they got a huge donation, but did not say the amount.

“They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 323

The power of RGIII winning the Heisman. Some media are estimating it was worth hundreds of millions of dollars to Baylor's AD (I want to say half a billion).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The power of RGIII winning the Heisman. Some media are estimating it was worth hundreds of millions of dollars to Baylor's AD (I want to say half a billion).
    That's right, I remember hearing that now. How does that work though? Is it just a combination of merchandise, interest in the program, and donations like Bret said? I just can't imagine that much money coming in for a Heisman trophy win.

I wonder if Troy Davis didn't get robbed if that would have had the same effect or if football was just different then (and we still sucked anyway).

Cy has balls of steel.

Prospect
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Small private school with several multi billionaire alums that are highly involved in the sports landscape...

Drayton McLane - Former Houston Astros owner(cashed out last year after he sold the Astros, made his fortune by selling his family's company McLane Foods to Walmart and then being put on Walmarts BOD and given massive amounts of stock options)
    Bob Simpson - Current owner of the Texas Rangers(made his fortune by selling his energy company to Exxon Mobil)

Then there are the group of Baylor attorneys that won a multi billion dollar tobacco lawsuit and were paid something like $3 billion for their services.

Also had real estate billionaire Bob Perry give a ton of money to the university up until he passed away this year.

Finally... Show proof the MBB team is dirty and I will start believing it, but the NCAA was on campus for two years trying to find anything possible and they came away with too many text messages, a rule that isn't even a rule anymore.

Rookie
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 1

Texas can say I see your 3.5 and up you $2 million.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 110

Quote Originally Posted by BigCojones View Post
    If needed i bet baylor can match up to a reasonable level. If theyve got the donors to buy a stadium, theyve probably got the donors to pay even 10 mil a year if texas started throwing that around. But texas isnt likely to throw that around unless its someone like saban.

Prospect
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BigCojones View Post
    It was $3.5M before this extension... Now word is he is in the $4.5M range with most of it being guaranteed money... Also buy out is in the $10-15 million range.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BearAssets View Post
    Small private school with several multi billionaire alums that are highly involved in the sports landscape...

Drayton McLane - Former Houston Astros owner(cashed out last year after he sold the Astros, made his fortune by selling his family's company McLane Foods to Walmart and then being put on Walmarts BOD and given massive amounts of stock options)
    Bob Simpson - Current owner of the Texas Rangers(made his fortune by selling his energy company to Exxon Mobil)

Then there are the group of Baylor attorneys that won a multi billion dollar tobacco lawsuit and were paid something like $3 billion for their services.

Also had real estate billionaire Bob Perry give a ton of money to the university up until he passed away this year.

Finally... Show proof the MBB team is dirty and I will start believing it, but the NCAA was on campus for two years trying to find anything possible and they came away with too many text messages, a rule that isn't even a rule anymore.
    Thanks for the information. We are quite jealous of your wealthy alumni base. The thing about the basketball team was a joke. I don't believe its true its just one of those things that crosses your. For us being on the outside its hard to see what Baylor has to sell recruits.

Cy has balls of steel.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 109

Think if you had a time machine and could go back 10 yrs and bet people that in 10 years, Baylor would have one of the highest paid coachs in the Big 12.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by BearAssets View Post

The NCAA could spend every day on your campus from now until eternity, and they still wouldn't possess the tools necessary to catch a program that is arranging an under the table cash transaction to a quasi agent of a player.

You are a fool if you believe that being caught is what determines whether cheating occurs.

I nor any other third party is going to be able to prove anything in regards to whether Baylor is cheating, but that doesn't prove innocence either.

College coaches understand how the game is played, and they certainly don't give your coach high marks. It is convenient to bury your head in the sand and pretend their isn't a middle man process with certain AAU programs and quasi agents. There is big time money in college athletics and their are plenty of people trying to get a piece of that action. The people involved certainly aren't going to run to the NCAA and bite the hand that feeds them.

I certainly can't prove whether Baylor is part of the AAU/quasi agent game, but circumstantial evidence and the opinions of coaches certainly make me suspicious that Baylor is involved in that game.

Last edited by mt85; 11-14-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 14

For us being on the outside its hard to see what Baylor has to sell recruits.
    I can see it in football, but the level of recruits they get in basketball blows my mind. Scott Drew is the worst gameday coach in the Big 12, but somehow he "convinces" elite talent to play for him. Not buying it!

Legend
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 43

It's what happens when you win.