Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Points: 12,587, Level: 33
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    121
    Points
    12,587
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Next Year...random thoughts

    Once again I hear the famous words "just wait for next year, we'll be better...take our lumps this year and then look out for us next season".

    I understand we are young and we have had a lot of injuries but I am not buying we will be better next year. Every team has injuries they have to deal with so no pity pool here. This is a down year in the Big 12 conference and if this is a down year, that means every other team is looking forward to next year also. If anything, this is the year to make a run in the conference. If we only can muster 1-2 wins this year, what says we can better that record next year? I just don't see it.

    I have been a season ticket holder for many years now. In that time frame, I have seen every school in our conference be a national contender in football except one school, Iowa State. Why???? I don't understand it.

    By the way I thought it was very ironic that our QB was the one who threw the bad pass that ended the game Saturday.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 83,039, Level: 89
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BBHMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,153
    Points
    83,039
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,220
    Given: 2,274

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by TDclones View Post
    Once again I hear the famous words "just wait for next year, we'll be better...take our lumps this year and then look out for us next season".

    I understand we are young and we have had a lot of injuries but I am not buying we will be better next year. Every team has injuries they have to deal with so no pity pool here. This is a down year in the Big 12 conference and if this is a down year, that means every other team is looking forward to next year also. If anything, this is the year to make a run in the conference. If we only can muster 1-2 wins this year, what says we can better that record next year? I just don't see it.

    I have been a season ticket holder for many years now. In that time frame, I have seen every school in our conference be a national contender in football except one school, Iowa State. Why???? I don't understand it.

    By the way I thought it was very ironic that our QB was the one who threw the bad pass that ended the game Saturday.
    You're countering your own argument here.


    Cy has balls of steel.

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 24,234, Level: 47
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    971
    Points
    24,234
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 268

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    I agree. Hope I'm wrong, but have to say I'm a little concerned as teams like Texas, TCU, Oklahoma, Kansas State, West Virginia look to improve over what are sort of down seasons and Baylor and Oklahoma State continue to get better and better. Tech looks like their program is in an upswing with a hot young coach. I hear everyone saying we have all this new talent coming in, but would guess these teams have some of their own.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 160,198, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,470
    Points
    160,198
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 639
    Given: 167

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    When discussing next year my biggest question (or, I guess curiosity) is how many teams in the B12 era have gone from 1-11 to a bowl game the next season?


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  5. #5
    Prospect
    Points: 2,883, Level: 15
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    32
    Points
    2,883
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    I have to say that unfortunately I completely agree with TDclones. In a year where a Texas team we took to the wire is undefeated in the Big 12 after having UT backers suggesting Mack Brown resign mid-season -- this would have been the year to make a run.

    We are not going to win squat until we get better offensive line play -- though not a shock to the forum. We need to stop thinking that having a stable of running backs or receivers is going to make the difference in our ability to win games.

    Let us not forget the team in early August the team on the other side of the state was picked to win just 2 games and did not know who their starting QB was for week 1. They dominate the line of scrimmage and their QB is serviceable enough to get the team to its 6th win and bowl eligibility over the weekend.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 36,302, Level: 58
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,265
    Points
    36,302
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 13

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Cancel your seats. Problem solved. Take the memories of all those riveting seasons you had season tickets and just be happy with those.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 24,234, Level: 47
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    971
    Points
    24,234
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 268

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    When discussing next year my biggest question (or, I guess curiosity) is how many teams in the B12 era have gone from 1-11 to a bowl game the next season?
    Would guess that number is a really low one, if any have done it. For perspective, from 2011 to 2012 (most recent data), 8 out of 58 BCS AQ teams had 4 or more additional wins than they did the previous year, most aided by a bowl win. 6 of the 8 had new coaches in the previous couple years:

    • Arizona had 4 more wins in Rich Rod's 2nd year
    • Florida had 4 more wins in Muschamp's 2nd year
    • Ole Miss had 5 more wins in Freeze's 1st year
    • Texas A&M had 4 more wins in Sumlin's 1st year (Manziel helped as well)
    • Louisville had 4 more wins in Charlie Strong's 3rd year
    • Ohio State had 6 more wins in Urb's 1st year


    The only two teams that had 4 or more additional wins without a coaching change were:

    • Northwestern won 4 more games. Helped to lose Ohio State and Wisconsin from schedule and win a bowl game
    • Oregon State had 6 more wins


    The only one of these that had less than 4 wins the first of these years was Ole Miss, which went from 2-10 to 7-6 with the help of a bowl win. So, you are correct-it is rare to go from 1-2 wins to a bowl game.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 135,113, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    awd4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    12,956
    Points
    135,113
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,335
    Given: 1,153

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Next year we will probably be bad again and the excuse posters will talk about how they knew next year was going to be really bad and people are idiots if they expected 6 wins. Also, injuries and inexperience will probably be a factor again. Then we will be saying wait till 2015 when Lazard is a sophomore!



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 124,270, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CyTwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    14,202
    Points
    124,270
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,100
    Given: 3,963

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by TDclones View Post
    Once again I hear the famous words "just wait for next year, we'll be better...take our lumps this year and then look out for us next season".

    I understand we are young and we have had a lot of injuries but I am not buying we will be better next year. Every team has injuries they have to deal with so no pity pool here. This is a down year in the Big 12 conference and if this is a down year, that means every other team is looking forward to next year also. If anything, this is the year to make a run in the conference. If we only can muster 1-2 wins this year, what says we can better that record next year? I just don't see it.

    I have been a season ticket holder for many years now. In that time frame, I have seen every school in our conference be a national contender in football except one school, Iowa State. Why???? I don't understand it.

    By the way I thought it was very ironic that our QB was the one who threw the bad pass that ended the game Saturday.
    We can't be worse so odds are in our favor



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 467,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    70,964
    Points
    467,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,377
    Given: 2,181

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by isu81 View Post
    Would guess that number is a really low one, if any have done it. For perspective, from 2011 to 2012 (most recent data), 8 out of 58 BCS AQ teams had 4 or more additional wins than they did the previous year, most aided by a bowl win. 6 of the 8 had new coaches in the previous couple years:

    • Arizona had 4 more wins in Rich Rod's 2nd year
    • Florida had 4 more wins in Muschamp's 2nd year
    • Ole Miss had 5 more wins in Freeze's 1st year
    • Texas A&M had 4 more wins in Sumlin's 1st year (Manziel helped as well)
    • Louisville had 4 more wins in Charlie Strong's 3rd year
    • Ohio State had 6 more wins in Urb's 1st year


    The only two teams that had 4 or more additional wins without a coaching change were:

    • Northwestern won 4 more games. Helped to lose Ohio State and Wisconsin from schedule and win a bowl game
    • Oregon State had 6 more wins


    The only one of these that had less than 4 wins the first of these years was Ole Miss, which went from 2-10 to 7-6 with the help of a bowl win. So, you are correct-it is rare to go from 1-2 wins to a bowl game.
    Well, debby downer, thank you for setting us straight. Looking like four wins might be the ticket next year, especially since some braniac scheduled the FCS champion NDSU Bisons in the opening game and then we play in Iowa Sin City.


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Hallice, Brady, Stu, Lard, Naz, Deonte, Monte, Matt, Simeon, Jordan, and Babb.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 109,373, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    9,216
    Points
    109,373
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 798
    Given: 267

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    we've lost 5 games by 1 possession score differences - so there's that. sorta.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 64,701, Level: 78
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    djcubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    3,306
    Points
    64,701
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 378
    Given: 634

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    When discussing next year my biggest question (or, I guess curiosity) is how many teams in the B12 era have gone from 1-11 to a bowl game the next season?
    I know one team that did it.

    Nevermind, that was 2-10 to a bowl game. I still think we have a chance of beating KU, though.

    One great turnaround to look at this year is Auburn. They went from winning 3 games last year to only having 1 loss so far this year. They are still playing with the same players, just a better offensive mind at the helm. If we can get an OC who can actually run an offense, we can get a lot better next year.


    Last edited by djcubby; 11-11-2013 at 03:02 PM.

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 18,216, Level: 41
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonic1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sun City, AZ
    Posts
    1,394
    Points
    18,216
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 926

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by djcubby View Post
    I know one team that did it.

    Nevermind, that was 2-10 to a bowl game. I still think we have a chance of beating KU, though.

    One great turnaround to look at this year is Auburn. They went from winning 3 games last year to only having 1 loss so far this year. They are still playing with the same players, just a better offensive mind at the helm. If we can get an OC who can actually run an offense, we can get a lot better next year.
    Only if that new OC brings a few large, talented and healthy O linemen with him









    I realized that we are just tough young men. Resilient, really, Morris adds. A lot of people probably would have tucked their tail and tried to make moves but this group stuck together. Everybody is on the same page and that really told me a lot about the type of season we can have.
    W
    hoever steps in, we can still do something special.
    We're super-talented, no matter what. We can do something special next year."
    Matt Thomas 5/2015

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 29,427, Level: 52
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Skidoosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,283
    Points
    29,427
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 940
    Given: 375

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    When discussing next year my biggest question (or, I guess curiosity) is how many teams in the B12 era have gone from 1-11 to a bowl game the next season?
    We aren't 1-11.
    \thread



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 18,773, Level: 41
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,405
    Points
    18,773
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 3,737

    Re: Next Year...random thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by TDclones View Post
    Once again I hear the famous words "just wait for next year, we'll be better...take our lumps this year and then look out for us next season".

    I understand we are young and we have had a lot of injuries but I am not buying we will be better next year. Every team has injuries they have to deal with so no pity pool here. This is a down year in the Big 12 conference and if this is a down year, that means every other team is looking forward to next year also. If anything, this is the year to make a run in the conference. If we only can muster 1-2 wins this year, what says we can better that record next year? I just don't see it.

    I have been a season ticket holder for many years now. In that time frame, I have seen every school in our conference be a national contender in football except one school, Iowa State. Why???? I don't understand it.

    By the way I thought it was very ironic that our QB was the one who threw the bad pass that ended the game Saturday.
    As opposed to the running back?

    I'm not sure its much of a down year. Oklahoma may not be very good, but Baylor has taken their place as a top 5 team. OSU, Texas, Texas Tech and KSU are all top 25 caliber teams.

    No, every team has not had the number of injuries we have, especially on offense.

    If you don't think we will be better next year, answer this: Why are we worse this year than last?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM