Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 55

Re: Friday QOTW 11/8 - Why does your life suck?

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    It is 6 months to the day that my father died from Colon Cancer... that's why I am down today.

But my whole abbreviated life story is:

• My mother left when I was 5.
    • My mother stole $1,000 from me when I was 9
    • My father had cancer from when I was 11-20.
    • My brother and sister both dropped out of high school and subsequently college
    • My brother and sister are drug addicts and constantly ask me for money
    • My brother and sister consistently try to kill themselves (They apparently suck at it, tried probably a dozen times each)
    • My niece died at 7 days old
    • I've had 3 gfs and all 3 have cheated on me.
    • Lost a wrestling scholarship because I tore my MCL
    • I am deaf in one ear due to ear surgeries when I was a kid

Now for the May 2012 - May 2013:

• May 2012 - 3rd gf cheated on me and I was stuck in downtown Chicago for a few days until my bus ticket could be used. I was too embarresed to tell my dad that another gf cheated on me.
    • May 2012 - Less than two weeks after that, I find out I have several polyps and a small tumor in my colon. Surgery follows in July.
    • Jun 2012 - Father gets hypothermia from experimental chemo treatment
    • July 2012 - surgery to remove tumor
    • Sept 2012 - Brother breaks up with his gf, tries to kill himself by driving his car down a ravine.
    • Oct 2012 - Father is dangerously ill, liver infection, jaundice, blood infection. Doctor said if he would've waited 10 more minutes to go to hospital, he would've died. "Lucky to see the new year, extremely lucky to see the spring" - Doctor
    • Mar 2013 - Father gets a scan, has brain tumor, still goes to work.
    • May 2013 - Father passes during finals week

That was a hellish year...

Nothing has really happened since then except I broke my foot the day after my health insurance expired and I failed a background check (got that resolved though).

<Rant>
    Also it pisses me off when I say that I've been through a lot of stuff but some older people, like 30-40, say "You're only 20, you haven't been through anything".
    </Rant>
    This post just made it impossible for the rest of us to complain about our jobs. Fight on, brother, and keep that head up!

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 710

I've had some pretty terrible crap happen, but I agree with the others - you can't let it define you. You can't let it drag you down. You have to take it and carry on, use it to learn and grow. It's hard, and it sucks, but you really just have to say, "You know what? That sucked. And something is going to happen that sucks again. But I've got X, Y, and Z that are pretty frigging cool, so I'll focus on that."

Last edited by Angie; 11-08-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    M 7/09

Legend
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 19

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,741
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 4

To get my spirits up from time to time I listen to a comedy album from Tig Notaro. It is Tig Notaro - Live. It is frickin brilliant and hilarious. I won't give any of it away but if she can keep her spirits up and a sense of humor about the hand she was dealt, it is hard to throw yourself a pity party. I believe it is available on Spotify. It is something like $5 on iTunes and well worth the price.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registeredOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 126

sorry to hear about all that stuff 2015, makes mine look very small in comparison. Mostly girl issues for me atm.

Fred's Fanatics- Member
    Fans of Fred Hoiberg and the 2013-2014 Iowa State Cyclones. Copy and Paste to Join.

Denver Broncos fan: 13-3 Super Bowl Losers :(
    Arsenal Fan: 4th place
    Iowa St: 28-8 Big 12 Tourney Champs!!!! Sweet 16

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 14

It is 6 months to the day that my father died from Colon Cancer... that's why I am down today.

• My brother and sister both dropped out of high school and subsequently college
    • My brother and sister consistently try to kill themselves (They apparently suck at it, tried probably a dozen times each)

• May 2012 - 3rd gf cheated on me and I was stuck in downtown Chicago for a few days until my bus ticket could be used. I was too embarresed to tell my dad that another gf cheated on me.
    • May 2012 - Less than two weeks after that, I find out I have several polyps and a small tumor in my colon. Surgery follows in July.
    • Sept 2012 - Brother breaks up with his gf, tries to kill himself by driving his car down a ravine.
    • Oct 2012 - Father is dangerously ill, liver infection, jaundice, blood infection. Doctor said if he would've waited 10 more minutes to go to hospital, he would've died. "Lucky to see the new year, extremely lucky to see the spring" - Doctor

Nothing has really happened since then except I broke my foot the day after my health insurance expired and I failed a background check (got that resolved though).

<Rant>
    Also it pisses me off when I say that I've been through a lot of stuff but some older people, like 30-40, say "You're only 20, you haven't been through anything".
    </Rant>
    Not for nothing, but I don't think anyone has anything to complain about after reading that. Sorry you had to go through that whole mess. Hope 2014 is better for you.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

<Rant>
    </Rant>
    I have a belly full of white dog crap in me, and now you lay this **** on me?

Seriously wow...

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

I remember when I was young not getting a video game for Christmas and throwing a huge temper tantrum. My Dad would then show me some pictures and told me stories of what the daily life for a kid in China (would go to China regularly for business in the early 90's). Really opened my eyes and figured I have nothing to complain about.

Major Motoko Kusanagi: If a technological feat is possible, man will do it. Almost as if it's wired into the core of our being.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

2015, look at it this way, you are a survivor. You have to be like a bar of tempered steel. Look forward and not backwards. Carry on, the best of life is in your future.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,692
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 77

I actually don't have anything bad to say about my life.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

I'm a little down today so it's gonna get real depressing in here. Just get an onion ready to cut so your roommates don't see you crying for no reason.

Why does your life suck? Give us your sob story.

This is more of a support thread, so don't bash anyone please!
    You should let me know when you are back in Ohio. We could meet for a beer and maybe a game watch. One rule I have, you can't buy, because you are still in school.

In retrospect, I have it pretty good. An experience I had earlier this year made me reflect on my life a bit. I got involved with and fell for someone that has been subjected to some horrible treatment in her social life, so much that I wouldn't believe it if she hadn't told me to my face. Unfortunately for her, something set her down the path she went on as far as relationships go, getting abused by multiple boy friends physically and mentally. Its not simply unintelligent decisions on her part. She's quite intelligent,is (or was) a college professor in a hard science, but her frame of reference is obviously limited, as abusive men are all she has been involved with.

When she dumped me, at first I felt like I was slighted, because I didn't understand the whole situation. It was a 180 from how she spoke or acted with me. However, looking back, a relationship, or even simply dating for a while wasn't going to happen. She was suffering for the terrible aftermath of the treatment she has had seemingly her entire adult life. It made me realize how silly I was for feeling like a victim. I wasn't. She is.

I hope she works through her issues and finds happiness with someone that legitimately respects, loves and cares for her. She deserves it.

I hope things start looking up for you.

Last edited by Stumbles; 11-08-2013 at 03:38 PM.
    Truth, Courage, Faith, and Power.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 254

It does not suck. There are parts of it that suck at times, but all in all, even the worst crap I go through is easier than some people have it, so I count my blessings.

But anywho.... I have been following a beagle pup around for every waking minute of my time at home and taking her potty every 10 to 20 minutes depending on how brave I am at waiting. That is exhausting, but I also see her getting better and responding to the praise, so even this is not that bad.

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 33

Maybe your username is a premonition of good things to come. 2015 will be your year, women, money, success, cyclone bball national championship.

Legend
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 440

I feel you 2015. I do. I'm going through some stuff myself right now. Not as tragic from a family standpoint, but still messing with my head.

My 8 year marriage ended this spring and I am struggling with that rejection and not seeing my kids as much as I used to. Not as bad as family deaths, but still a big adjustment for me.

I'm someone who is better at giving advice to others than doing anything to help myself.

Here's one thing I found in common with almost everything that has happened to you:

They are not your fault.

And remember, that through all of it, you did not succumb to the easy way out. Sounds like your brother and sister did. You easily could have said it was too hard and run away from everything by abusing alcohol or drugs, but you didn't.

10 years from now, you might just be stronger for it.

Here's one thing you might be able to do though. If you've had three straight girlfriends cheat on you, then you might want to think about how you pick girls. It sounds simplistic, but if you generally go for the kind of girls who would betray you like that, then try going for a girl who is a bit less wild maybe?

Have any of the girls ever told you some reason why they cheated? Some people cheat because they aren't getting what they want emotionally from the relationship, not just physically. It's not at all uncommon for people who have gone through a lot to not be emotionally present at all times in their relationships. You have to be ok with yourself for someone else to really connect with you.

Have you ever talked to a therapist? Even if you don' think anything is "wrong" with you, it can help to talk about it in a safe environment. Relationship issues are something that a therapist can give you advice about as well.

Legend
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 440

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    Maybe your username is a premonition of good things to come. 2015 will be your year, women, money, success, cyclone bball national championship.
    So I should date a girl who really likes hip-hop music?