Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 78,141, Level: 86
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    demoncore1031's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque,NM
    Posts
    6,359
    Points
    78,141
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 372
    Given: 313

    Pass interference???

    Does anyone happen to know the exact number of pass interferences out opponents have had against us? I know it's a very low number. The reason I ask is because I just noticed that we have only got 2 first downs off of penalties for the entire season. Do the coaches even teach these kids how to try to draw a pass interference call, or is it because we really just don't take the shots downfield? Maybe our 34% conversion rate on 3rd downs can get up to 40% if we try to draw those penalties.


    This is Ophion speaking.

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 132,555, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,078
    Points
    132,555
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 2

    Re: Pass interference???

    Zero.

    ISU's two first downs via penalty were both PFs by Oklahoma State...for a total of 4 yards.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 786,105, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    53,648
    Points
    786,105
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,389
    Given: 2,416

    Re: Pass interference???

    Part of it has been the fewer passes down field. Part has been that we may not have enough separation for the defender to feel like they have to get physical to prevent the reception, and part of it is the refs just letting things go that we wouldn't get away with.



  4. #4
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,846, Level: 26
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    328
    Points
    7,846
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 16

    Re: Pass interference???

    Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    Does anyone happen to know the exact number of pass interferences out opponents have had against us? I know it's a very low number. The reason I ask is because I just noticed that we have only got 2 first downs off of penalties for the entire season. Do the coaches even teach these kids how to try to draw a pass interference call, or is it because we really just don't take the shots downfield? Maybe our 34% conversion rate on 3rd downs can get up to 40% if we try to draw those penalties.
    Generally, our 3rd down play is to throw it 5 yards short of the sticks.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 147,981, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    10,649
    Points
    147,981
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 448
    Given: 312

    Re: Pass interference???

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Part of it has been the fewer passes down field. Part has been that we may not have enough separation for the defender to feel like they have to get physical to prevent the reception, and part of it is the refs just letting things go that we wouldn't get away with.
    Or our receivers are getting so much separation that the defender can't interfere



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 144,929, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,718
    Points
    144,929
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 34

    Re: Pass interference???

    When a defense can rush four and we keep 8 in to block, it's pretty easy for the other 7 guys to cover our 2-3 receivers, they don't need to interfere. Most pass interference penalties are because a guy got beat (see Nigel Tribune).



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 18,727, Level: 41
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    663
    Points
    18,727
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 120

    Re: Pass interference???

    Combination of our receivers getting little separation and our QB's throwing few balls that are deemed catchable. As indicated in another post, interference calls are the result of getting beat. We have many of them called on us because our DB's have been torched. So the bad news is that we are poor in the offensive passing game, but maybe worse on the defensive side in coverage.

    I really don't think referees call it differently in our favor or against us. They call what they see.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 27,197, Level: 50
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyclone1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    1,510
    Points
    27,197
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 5

    Re: Pass interference???

    Hard to get a PI call when we don't throw the ball more than 5 yds downfield, but when we do, we like to throw the ball out of bounds.

    Even when were are down 14+, we still call plays where our fastest receiver runs 5 yard curl routes. Makes sense.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 187,427, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,819
    Points
    187,427
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 1,073

    Re: Pass interference???

    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Zero.

    ISU's two first downs via penalty were both PFs by Oklahoma State...for a total of 4 yards.

    Which is an unreal stat. It seems to have a lot less to do with officiating and a lot more to do with our offense that is running very few plays and never on the field.

    I thought it was pretty cheap of Walter's broadcast when we got the first penalty for first down this year. He was implying that the refs haven't given ISU much help this year instead of our offense being so pathetic.


    Last edited by ajk4st8; 11-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 433,698, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    64,933
    Points
    433,698
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,476
    Given: 1,114

    Re: Pass interference???

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Part of it has been the fewer passes down field. Part has been that we may not have enough separation for the defender to feel like they have to get physical to prevent the reception, and part of it is the refs just letting things go that we wouldn't get away with.
    This. Paul needs to go to the School of Ref Persuasion. The penalty factor is plain killing us this year for the first time in years. Are we too young to get a break?


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Georges, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 43,282, Level: 64
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,954
    Points
    43,282
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 486
    Given: 638

    Re: Pass interference???

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Which is an unreal stat. It seems to have a lot less to do with officiating and a lot more to do with our offense that is running very few plays and never on the field.

    I thought it was pretty cheap of Walter's broadcast when we got the first penalty for first down this year. He was implying that the refs haven't given ISU much help this year instead of our offense being so pathetic.
    I was at the Texas game. I imagine that still burns J Walt too



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM