Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: 2014 Defense

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 75,974, Level: 85
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,772
    Points
    75,974
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 32

    2014 Defense

    Our defense next year worries me as much or more than our offense. Luckily we have a proven coaching staff that gets the most out of the players we have, but what we have isn't going to be very good.

    The last three weeks, say what you want about TOP, short fields, and the offense not sustaining drives, but our defense has been absolutely shredded.

    We are a Defensive team. I expect a more out of the D than the O. Who are going to be our play makers on defense next year? We can't give up 42, 71, 58, and 41 in consecutive weeks and expect our offense to match blow for blow.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 55,556, Level: 73
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Yes13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,293
    Points
    55,556
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: 2014 Defense

    Our playmakers will be whatever JUCOs we add. If we strike out on JUCOs, its not gonna be good.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 180,434, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,894
    Points
    180,434
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 728

    Re: 2014 Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Our defense next year worries me as much or more than our offense. Luckily we have a proven coaching staff that gets the most out of the players we have, but what we have isn't going to be very good.

    The last three weeks, say what you want about TOP, short fields, and the offense not sustaining drives, but our defense has been absolutely shredded.

    We are a Defensive team. I expect a more out of the D than the O. Who are going to be our play makers on defense next year? We can't give up 42, 71, 58, and 41 in consecutive weeks and expect our offense to match blow for blow.
    This is true for me as well. Of course, given the team being in good health, I'm not actually worried about the offense next season, so saying that "I'm as worried as much if not more than the offense" isn't saying a whole lot.

    I mean, this season sucks so bad, how do you have any "worry" to spare for next? There's no way it can be as bad next year!




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 432,665, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    10,944
    Points
    432,665
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 228

    Re: 2014 Defense

    UNI game was sad. When Wally got his act together, Baylor was the only other game where I felt the defense didn't show up. Every other game where we got the score/yards/etc run up on us was pretty much solely because our offense was so bad they repeatedly threw the defense back out there. Just look at KSU for instance. The defense came out slow and gave up 10 points (After an offense stall out). Then they held after numerous failures by the offense to do anything. It wasn't until the 2nd half when KSU showed that the ISU offense was not going to do anything before the defense just broke.
    I think people are too down on this defense. ISU returns 5 of the starting front 7. They return Tribune, Sam E and Rodgers who are getting a lot of experience this season so the secondary wont be full of rookies either. I do however feel we do need some added talent to be considered "good" but I bet they will be improved from this year. I can't say enough how important I think another quality DT, DE and LB would be for the defense (Clinkscales)



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 432,665, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    10,944
    Points
    432,665
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 228

    Re: 2014 Defense

    Oh, but respond to the main statement. In no way shape or form does the defense worry me more than the offense at this point. ISU 'should' have a crap ton of playmakers on offense next year but my confidence in coaching those playmakers worries me.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 361,682, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,230
    Points
    361,682
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 73

    Re: 2014 Defense

    The team and coaches can say whatever they want but at some point, as a defense, when you are getting nothing from your offense, you loosen. I'm not talking about the season, I'm talking about a game by game basis. It's not something they think of but I do think that at some point you either start pressing too much and make mistakes or you just don't feel like it matters. I'm not saying the team quit and this isn't specific to us. I think it's football in general.


    It's all snark from here on out

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 128,481, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,939
    Points
    128,481
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 102

    Re: 2014 Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    The team and coaches can say whatever they want but at some point, as a defense, when you are getting nothing from your offense, you loosen. I'm not talking about the season, I'm talking about a game by game basis. It's not something they think of but I do think that at some point you either start pressing too much and make mistakes or you just don't feel like it matters. I'm not saying the team quit and this isn't specific to us. I think it's football in general.
    I totally agree, you can just see it in the defensive players as the game wears on. Its like they know if they give up 7 points their offense can't keep up. Its got to be the worst feeling knowing how inept our offense is.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,351, Level: 72
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,199
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,071
    Points
    54,351
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 257

    Re: 2014 Defense

    I think it's worth remembering too that the defense has generally been the stronger unit for 4 seasons. At this point it's not ridiculous to ask the offense to step up for one year, especially considering they are the more talented of the two units, IMO.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 43,638, Level: 64
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,986
    Points
    43,638
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 0

    Re: 2014 Defense

    They are going to need some young guys to step up if the D is going to be decent next year. Maybe some of the young DL will make some big strides like Aka and Cousin.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 75,175, Level: 85
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,375
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    6,949
    Points
    75,175
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 412

    Re: 2014 Defense

    We don't lose much in the front 7. Obviously the 2 starters, but no one else in the 3 deep. I think we improve in the front 7. I was more worried until I realized we return a lot up front. I don't think the defense or offense will be worse next year.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 41,627, Level: 62
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Borger, TX
    Posts
    2,650
    Points
    41,627
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

    Re: 2014 Defense

    Guys that are playing in mop up time are the ones that will need to emerge. Darius White did nothing but make plays when he was in HS, and the Mike is the only spot he can really play, and it will be open. I also think Rogers will move into the safety spot and hopefully be the type of playmaker we want back there. And Tribune may be the kind of player on the edge that Johnson was. We need out CBs to run support if we are going to see improvement.

    In the front seven my darkhorse most improved is going to be Mitchell Meyers. I think he plays the way we need our DL to play, and could have a really good year.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,351, Level: 72
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,199
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,071
    Points
    54,351
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 257

    Re: 2014 Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Guys that are playing in mop up time are the ones that will need to emerge. Darius White did nothing but make plays when he was in HS, and the Mike is the only spot he can really play, and it will be open. I also think Rogers will move into the safety spot and hopefully be the type of playmaker we want back there. And Tribune may be the kind of player on the edge that Johnson was. We need out CBs to run support if we are going to see improvement.

    In the front seven my darkhorse most improved is going to be Mitchell Meyers. I think he plays the way we need our DL to play, and could have a really good year.
    From what Rhoads has said it sounds like Mike will be Seeley's spot. White will either be backup there or play another position.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 35,352, Level: 57
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    isuforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,767
    Points
    35,352
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 206

    Re: 2014 Defense

    how many points has the defense given up this season?



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 400,760, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,324
    Points
    400,760
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

    Re: 2014 Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    UNI game was sad. When Wally got his act together, Baylor was the only other game where I felt the defense didn't show up. Every other game where we got the score/yards/etc run up on us was pretty much solely because our offense was so bad they repeatedly threw the defense back out there. Just look at KSU for instance. The defense came out slow and gave up 10 points (After an offense stall out). Then they held after numerous failures by the offense to do anything. It wasn't until the 2nd half when KSU showed that the ISU offense was not going to do anything before the defense just broke.
    I think people are too down on this defense. ISU returns 5 of the starting front 7. They return Tribune, Sam E and Rodgers who are getting a lot of experience this season so the secondary wont be full of rookies either. I do however feel we do need some added talent to be considered "good" but I bet they will be improved from this year. I can't say enough how important I think another quality DT, DE and LB would be for the defense (Clinkscales)
    And this is why our mystery team is not going any place this year. At critical junctures, the offense produces nothing. Our offense is like a dry oil hole. It does not produce.

    We can blame injuries, youth, wind , rain, road, home nerves, bad plan, poor play calls, weird formations, dropped passes, penalties, bad refs, dropped interceptions, and sweet caroline all we want, but the bottom line is just poor point production. When the time comes to rescue a win, the offense is MIA. This is making Jared look really good. Even Steele. Yes, Tiller. At least they could rally a team.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 400,760, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,324
    Points
    400,760
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

    Re: 2014 Defense

    Quote Originally Posted by isuforlife View Post
    how many points has the defense given up this season?
    How many points has the offense handed the opponent through poor plays like fumbles, interceptions, three and outs, junk plays? 28? 35? 42?


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM