Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

2014 Defense

Our defense next year worries me as much or more than our offense. Luckily we have a proven coaching staff that gets the most out of the players we have, but what we have isn't going to be very good.

The last three weeks, say what you want about TOP, short fields, and the offense not sustaining drives, but our defense has been absolutely shredded.

We are a Defensive team. I expect a more out of the D than the O. Who are going to be our play makers on defense next year? We can't give up 42, 71, 58, and 41 in consecutive weeks and expect our offense to match blow for blow.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: 2014 Defense

Our playmakers will be whatever JUCOs we add. If we strike out on JUCOs, its not gonna be good.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 119

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Our defense next year worries me as much or more than our offense. Luckily we have a proven coaching staff that gets the most out of the players we have, but what we have isn't going to be very good.

The last three weeks, say what you want about TOP, short fields, and the offense not sustaining drives, but our defense has been absolutely shredded.

We are a Defensive team. I expect a more out of the D than the O. Who are going to be our play makers on defense next year? We can't give up 42, 71, 58, and 41 in consecutive weeks and expect our offense to match blow for blow.
    This is true for me as well. Of course, given the team being in good health, I'm not actually worried about the offense next season, so saying that "I'm as worried as much if not more than the offense" isn't saying a whole lot.

I mean, this season sucks so bad, how do you have any "worry" to spare for next? There's no way it can be as bad next year!

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 66

UNI game was sad. When Wally got his act together, Baylor was the only other game where I felt the defense didn't show up. Every other game where we got the score/yards/etc run up on us was pretty much solely because our offense was so bad they repeatedly threw the defense back out there. Just look at KSU for instance. The defense came out slow and gave up 10 points (After an offense stall out). Then they held after numerous failures by the offense to do anything. It wasn't until the 2nd half when KSU showed that the ISU offense was not going to do anything before the defense just broke.
    I think people are too down on this defense. ISU returns 5 of the starting front 7. They return Tribune, Sam E and Rodgers who are getting a lot of experience this season so the secondary wont be full of rookies either. I do however feel we do need some added talent to be considered "good" but I bet they will be improved from this year. I can't say enough how important I think another quality DT, DE and LB would be for the defense (Clinkscales)

Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

Legend
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 66

Oh, but respond to the main statement. In no way shape or form does the defense worry me more than the offense at this point. ISU 'should' have a crap ton of playmakers on offense next year but my confidence in coaching those playmakers worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

The team and coaches can say whatever they want but at some point, as a defense, when you are getting nothing from your offense, you loosen. I'm not talking about the season, I'm talking about a game by game basis. It's not something they think of but I do think that at some point you either start pressing too much and make mistakes or you just don't feel like it matters. I'm not saying the team quit and this isn't specific to us. I think it's football in general.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    The team and coaches can say whatever they want but at some point, as a defense, when you are getting nothing from your offense, you loosen. I'm not talking about the season, I'm talking about a game by game basis. It's not something they think of but I do think that at some point you either start pressing too much and make mistakes or you just don't feel like it matters. I'm not saying the team quit and this isn't specific to us. I think it's football in general.
    I totally agree, you can just see it in the defensive players as the game wears on. Its like they know if they give up 7 points their offense can't keep up. Its got to be the worst feeling knowing how inept our offense is.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 32

I think it's worth remembering too that the defense has generally been the stronger unit for 4 seasons. At this point it's not ridiculous to ask the offense to step up for one year, especially considering they are the more talented of the two units, IMO.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

They are going to need some young guys to step up if the D is going to be decent next year. Maybe some of the young DL will make some big strides like Aka and Cousin.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,624
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 78

We don't lose much in the front 7. Obviously the 2 starters, but no one else in the 3 deep. I think we improve in the front 7. I was more worried until I realized we return a lot up front. I don't think the defense or offense will be worse next year.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Guys that are playing in mop up time are the ones that will need to emerge. Darius White did nothing but make plays when he was in HS, and the Mike is the only spot he can really play, and it will be open. I also think Rogers will move into the safety spot and hopefully be the type of playmaker we want back there. And Tribune may be the kind of player on the edge that Johnson was. We need out CBs to run support if we are going to see improvement.

In the front seven my darkhorse most improved is going to be Mitchell Meyers. I think he plays the way we need our DL to play, and could have a really good year.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Guys that are playing in mop up time are the ones that will need to emerge. Darius White did nothing but make plays when he was in HS, and the Mike is the only spot he can really play, and it will be open. I also think Rogers will move into the safety spot and hopefully be the type of playmaker we want back there. And Tribune may be the kind of player on the edge that Johnson was. We need out CBs to run support if we are going to see improvement.

In the front seven my darkhorse most improved is going to be Mitchell Meyers. I think he plays the way we need our DL to play, and could have a really good year.
    From what Rhoads has said it sounds like Mike will be Seeley's spot. White will either be backup there or play another position.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 62

how many points has the defense given up this season?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    UNI game was sad. When Wally got his act together, Baylor was the only other game where I felt the defense didn't show up. Every other game where we got the score/yards/etc run up on us was pretty much solely because our offense was so bad they repeatedly threw the defense back out there. Just look at KSU for instance. The defense came out slow and gave up 10 points (After an offense stall out). Then they held after numerous failures by the offense to do anything. It wasn't until the 2nd half when KSU showed that the ISU offense was not going to do anything before the defense just broke.
    I think people are too down on this defense. ISU returns 5 of the starting front 7. They return Tribune, Sam E and Rodgers who are getting a lot of experience this season so the secondary wont be full of rookies either. I do however feel we do need some added talent to be considered "good" but I bet they will be improved from this year. I can't say enough how important I think another quality DT, DE and LB would be for the defense (Clinkscales)
    And this is why our mystery team is not going any place this year. At critical junctures, the offense produces nothing. Our offense is like a dry oil hole. It does not produce.

We can blame injuries, youth, wind , rain, road, home nerves, bad plan, poor play calls, weird formations, dropped passes, penalties, bad refs, dropped interceptions, and sweet caroline all we want, but the bottom line is just poor point production. When the time comes to rescue a win, the offense is MIA. This is making Jared look really good. Even Steele. Yes, Tiller. At least they could rally a team.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by isuforlife View Post
    how many points has the defense given up this season?
    How many points has the offense handed the opponent through poor plays like fumbles, interceptions, three and outs, junk plays? 28? 35? 42?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.