Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 68

Re: JUCO QB #1 Priority

Until we learn to run the football effectively, defenses are going to keep teeing off on all our QBs. Cam Newton himself couldn't function in this offensive system. But I will say this, the OL has been a little better last 2 games pass blocking, and Sam missed some throws in both games. Little doubt his confidence is shaken vs. last year where his body language on the field was much more confident. He is ducking his head, but with good reason. Offense looked like a Chinese fire drill first 5-6 games. He needs to find trust this OL group again. They are protecting him better as of late.

"winners never quit; quitters never win"

Rookie
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by CurvedAir View Post
    With this morning's news, Rhoads obviously disagrees. You might want to call him and tell him he's making a mistake based on your insight. Seems pretty clear to me that he has serious doubts that either is the long term option.
    What news? Rhoads actually said that Sam very well could trot out there Saturday to start.

"winners never quit; quitters never win"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

How do you judge Sam Richardson when they have played him hurt all season? He was never given a chance to get better. And GR has come in when we are behind by 20 and the defense has nothing to lose.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

On the flip side of the ball it does look like we are after a couple of JUCO outside line backers. Interesting as I thought I had seen quite a bit of chatter about how well some of those kids were coming along at the position. A good JUCO QB would help tremendously but not sure how strong of a market there is going to be for us to get one better than what we may develop by next year. Then again I dont know what to think anymore. I thought this was supposed to be one of our best and most athletic classes and all I see is a lot of room for improvement.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    you not posting anymore #1 priority.

this offense is bad, and injury laden. the best QB in all of college football wouldn't fare much better. the entire offense has issues.
    There are homers and there are idiots. You are an idiot. At least half the QB's in our own conference would "fare better" in this offense.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Richardson and Rohach aren't the answers. Nothing against them...I'm sure they're great students and teammates. Bring in a JUCO QB for the next couple of years and hope that Hodge is as good as advertised.

This ISU team reminds me of the Chiefs last year. Poor QB play, terrible offensive coordinator, and lack of basic fundamentals destroyed their season. This can be fixed. Rhoads won't let this go on without making major changes this winter. I have total faith in him.
    You're flat out wrong on this. A healthy offensive line and decent play calling are the answer. There aren't many if any QBs @ any level who would look decent running this offense. People who always see the QB as the problem show their overall lack of football knowledge if you ask me. You're entitled to your opinion but again, you're wrong.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HitItHard58 View Post
    You're flat out wrong on this. A healthy offensive line and decent play calling are the answer. There aren't many if any QBs @ any level who would look decent running this offense. People who always see the QB as the problem show their overall lack of football knowledge if you ask me. You're entitled to your opinion but again, you're wrong.
    Sorry, but I'm not. You're missing the obvious.

Two questions for you.

Why in the world would Rhoads continue to make weekly QB changes if he felt either of them were the answer. You surely understand this program would be miles ahead if he felt confident in an underclassman QB.

Why do Richardson and Rohach continue to miss wide open receivers with no pressure and make poor decisions... a fact that has been pointed out numerous times this season by Messingham and Rhoads.

You must have more knowledge and insight than the head coach and OC.

Last edited by CurvedAir; 11-05-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Wrong again. Missing open receivers by 15-20 feet with no pressure is on the QB Jon Gruden wannabe.
    Yeah occasionally QBs make bad throws. Even Aaron Rodgers misses once in a while. A lot of QBs have the luxury of receivers making great catches and bailing them out every now and then. Playmakers have to make plays and I can only think of a few times that has happened all season. As a receiver, if the ball is close you find a way to make the catch. Some fans seem to think the QB sucks if he doesn't put it right in the receivers hands without them having to make any sort of adjustment. Call IsuFan22 a Jon Gruden wannabe all you want but at least he seems to understand the game unlike you. I really like his term ballwatcher by the way. Really sums up people like you who don't see the entire game, just what's on the surface.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah occasionally QBs make bad throws. Even Aaron Rodgers misses once in a while. A lot of QBs have the luxury of receivers making great catches and bailing them out every now and then. Playmakers have to make plays and I can only think of a few times that has happened all season. As a receiver, if the ball is close you find a way to make the catch. Some fans seem to think the QB sucks if he doesn't put it right in the receivers hands without them having to make any sort of adjustment. Call IsuFan22 a Jon Gruden wannabe all you want but at least he seems to understand the game unlike you. I really like his term ballwatcher by the way. Really sums up people like you who don't see the entire game, just what's on the surface.
    Answer the questions I asked you. And, yes, I understand the game as well as you or IsuFan22.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Whats Jerome Tiller up to nowadays?

Iím a huge believer in mental toughness and what it does to you as an individual and collectively, what it does for your football team. We have a mentally tough football team that takes advantage of opportunities to grow and learn.

-Paul Rhoads

Follow "@CycloneRecruits" on Twitter for Football recruiting and other Cyclone Football related information! #cyclONEnation

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

We could bring in any top flight QB and would not matter. This ship is a bumbling, rudderless mess and will only take down QB's with it.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

Two questions for you.

Why in the world would Rhoads continue to make weekly QB changes if he felt either of them were the answer. You surely understand this program would be miles ahead if he felt confident in an underclassman QB.

Why do Richardson and Rohach continue to miss wide open receivers with no pressure and make poor decisions... a fact that has been pointed out numerous times this season by Messingham and Rhoads.

I guess my take on this would be one more question.

Why does this staff continue to recruit quarterbacks who can't get the job done. When there are more capable QBs playing at lesser schools? (by lesser, I mean by division. FCS, etc.)

Evaluation of talent is a big part of coaching. If they keep getting kids who can't play, it still doesn't fall completely on the kids. This staff has a pretty good string going of QBs who's best game is their first game, then from then on out, things go to ****. This is college, not the NFL, sometimes you have to develop a QB and teach him. We don't seem to be able to do that. It's not always a matter of playing time will equal better QB play, yet I wonder if that's what this staff thinks it takes to make the QBs better.

Again though, I wish it were just the QBs. Honestly, the QB defenders are right in saying, "QBs are going to miss throws, sometimes you need a receiver to make a big play. Sometimes you need the line to block and ours doesn't do that on a consistent basis. This is actually a big thing. Weather the line blocks or not, doesn't matter at this point. Sams 3 second clock is probably buzzing at about 1.5 seconds now. So he is hurrying his drops and his throws in an attempt to get the pass off before being hurried. When in fact, the consistency of bad line play has led him to hurry every throw, weather he needs to or not. Again, this is a coaching issue.

In the end though, no one is wrong and that's the problem with our offense. It just isn't working right now and it's not one guys fault. It's not coached well, it's not blocked well, it's not rushed well, it's not QB'd well and it's not caught well either. Other than Wimberly when we was healthy, I really can't think of anyone who stood out to me as doing an exceptional job on this offense. It's all been mediocre to poor at every spot.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Two questions for you.

You would have to ask Rhoads why he keeps flip flopping back and forth between them. I honestly don't know why he hasn't sat Richardson for a week and just let Rohach take an entire game. Sam has a laundry list of nagging injuries and the season clearly isn't getting any better. Putting Grant in when we're down is a good way to get him some experience. We're not down in these games because Sam Richardson is god awful and can't get the job done. Our entire team is terrible at this point and confidence flew out the window weeks ago. That lack of confidence clearly has a major effect on everybody.

Richardson and Rohach have missed some receivers and made some bad decisions just like any QB does at times but not nearly to the extent that you seem to think. I can't effectively answer your question because I don't agree at all with the way you're putting it. One thing I can say as a POSSIBILITY at this point is confidence. When you've run for your life and gotten the **** beat out of you all year, not unlikely to get happy feet and rush things a bit.

What Messingham thinks means absolutely nothing to me because he has no business being a Big 12 offensive coordinator. If Rhoads still thinks Mess is the answer after this season, I will seriously doubt Paul as a head coach. Please don't try to put words in my mouth because I'm not saying FIRE RHOADS by any means. I just worry that he might be incapable of making the tough decisions regarding his staff. Firing anybody, especially a friend, would not be fun but that's his job.

Last edited by HitItHard58; 11-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I guess my take on this would be one more question.

Why does this staff continue to recruit quarterbacks who can't get the job done. When there are more capable QBs playing at lesser schools? (by lesser, I mean by division. FCS, etc.)

Evaluation of talent is a big part of coaching. If they keep getting kids who can't play, it still doesn't fall completely on the kids. This staff has a pretty good string going of QBs who's best game is their first game, then from then on out, things go to ****. This is college, not the NFL, sometimes you have to develop a QB and teach him. We don't seem to be able to do that. It's not always a matter of playing time will equal better QB play, yet I wonder if that's what this staff thinks it takes to make the QBs better.

Again though, I wish it were just the QBs. Honestly, the QB defenders are right in saying, "QBs are going to miss throws, sometimes you need a receiver to make a big play. Sometimes you need the line to block and ours doesn't do that on a consistent basis. This is actually a big thing. Weather the line blocks or not, doesn't matter at this point. Sams 3 second clock is probably buzzing at about 1.5 seconds now. So he is hurrying his drops and his throws in an attempt to get the pass off before being hurried. When in fact, the consistency of bad line play has led him to hurry every throw, weather he needs to or not. Again, this is a coaching issue.

In the end though, no one is wrong and that's the problem with our offense. It just isn't working right now and it's not one guys fault. It's not coached well, it's not blocked well, it's not rushed well, it's not QB'd well and it's not caught well either. Other than Wimberly when we was healthy, I really can't think of anyone who stood out to me as doing an exceptional job on this offense. It's all been mediocre to poor at every spot.
    Great post. For whatever reason, this current coaching regime simply can't identify and/or develop a QB that can get us over the hump in this conference. Seems pretty obvious to me that Rhoads needs to hire an established OC... at whatever level... and turn the reins over to him. A complete overhaul of this offense is desperately needed.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You would have to ask Rhoads why he keeps flip flopping back and forth between them. I honestly don't know why he hasn't sat Richardson for a week and just let Rohach take an entire game. Sam has a laundry list of nagging injuries and the season clearly isn't getting any better. Putting Grant in when we're down is a good way to get him some experience. We're not down in these games because Sam Richardson is god awful and can't get the job done. Our entire team is terrible at this point and confidence flew out the window weeks ago. That lack of confidence clearly has a major effect on everybody.

Richardson and Rohach have missed some receivers and made some bad decisions just like any QB does at times but not nearly to the extent that you seem to think. I can't effectively answer your question because I don't agree at all with the way you're putting it. One thing I can say as a POSSIBILITY at this point is confidence. When you've run for your life and gotten the **** beat out of you all year, not unlikely to get happy feet and rush things a bit. What Messingham thinks means absolutely nothing to me because he has no business being a Big 12 offensive coordinator. If Rhoads still thinks Mess is the answer after this season, I will seriously doubt Paul as a head coach. Don't try to put words in my mouth because I'm not saying FIRE RHOADS
    That's what I thought. You can't answer the questions because you're wrong. Rhoads and staff have doubts with either option. That is clear. If they felt otherwise, and placed all or most of the blame on the line, injuries, receivers, whatever, they would not make a change with the singular most important position on the offense.