Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 10,876, Level: 31
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    793
    Points
    10,876
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 28

    What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    I honestly don't understand why you'd give a coach that has accomplished what he has a 10 year contract.

    Does anyone know the details for the buyout? I assume it for about a quarter of the $2 million per year, but am not sure if that's right. $500k per each year left seems about right to me.

    Was there a fear of him going somewhere else?

    I know that Jamie must really like him, but geez, it seems like someone really got carried away.

    When was the contract extended? Was it after the "so proud" season?

    I'm just looking at his overall body of work while here and trying to imagine another University in the country who would give a 10 year extension at $2 million per.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 180,939, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,368
    Points
    180,939
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 0

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    We gave him a 10 year extension because JP knows we couldn't get anyone better. That's why. Pretty simple really.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 45,587, Level: 66
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,363
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,793
    Points
    45,587
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 1

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Because has has the remote for the video board.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 405,213, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,394
    Points
    405,213
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 777
    Given: 500

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    We thought he was cheaper than the $4M Man. Right now the Tulsa road game is a $2M win.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 42,918, Level: 63
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AdamJGray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,343
    Points
    42,918
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 232

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Because he took us from 5-19 to:

    Bowl game in 3 out of 4 years
    Biggest win in school history over OSU
    First win over Texas
    First win at Nebraska since 78

    And he was being offered a job by other/bigger BCS schools.


    twitter.com/adamjgray17

  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 10,876, Level: 31
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    793
    Points
    10,876
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 28

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    We gave him a 10 year extension because JP knows we couldn't get anyone better. That's why. Pretty simple really.
    Jamie must not think very highly of himself as an AD if he thinks that this is as good as it gets.

    I think that Jamie was pandering to the fans with the extension, but an AD's job isn't to pander to the fans. Someone needs to be the adult and it's supposed to be the AD.

    We are currently paying CPR well, well above his market value and likely will be throughout the duration of his contract. All because we didn't think we could do better?

    The question for a sane AD would be, could CPR do better? I don't think his phone has ever been ringing with job inquiries, but maybe I'm wrong.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 10,876, Level: 31
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    793
    Points
    10,876
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 28

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJGray View Post
    Because he took us from 5-19 to:

    Bowl game in 3 out of 4 years
    Biggest win in school history over OSU
    First win over Texas
    First win at Nebraska since 78

    And he was being offered a job by other/bigger BCS schools.
    I'd love to hear about these other job offers at BCS schools. Since you brought it up, I'm sure you'll have the details.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 180,939, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,368
    Points
    180,939
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 0

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Jamie must not think very highly of himself as an AD if he thinks that this is as good as it gets.

    I think that Jamie was pandering to the fans with the extension, but an AD's job isn't to pander to the fans. Someone needs to be the adult and it's supposed to be the AD.

    We are currently paying CPR well, well above his market value and likely will be throughout the duration of his contract. All because we didn't think we could do better?

    The question for a sane AD would be, could CPR do better? I don't think his phone has ever been ringing with job inquiries, but maybe I'm wrong.
    How do you figure that CPR is getting overpaid? He's one of the lowest, if not the lowest paid in the conference AND he's still selling out games. He might not be winning enough, but that doesn't make him overpaid.

    I've always said the same thing about KF over in IC. He's not overpaid for what he brings in. He might be overpaid for his results, but not for what he brings in. Iowa is rolling in the money over there in IC. KF deserves a good sized chunk of it. It's the fans fault for paying HUGE money to watch paint dry, not KF's.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 45,587, Level: 66
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,363
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,793
    Points
    45,587
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 1

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    5-19 not so low when facing possibility of 7-18.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 558,784, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,489
    Points
    558,784
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 333
    Given: 164

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I'd love to hear about these other job offers at BCS schools. Since you brought it up, I'm sure you'll have the details.
    Pitt courted him.




  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 107,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    awd4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,630
    Points
    107,349
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 876
    Given: 589

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Likely going to go down as another huge mistake under Pollard.



  12. #12
    Walk On
    Points: 3,969, Level: 18
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    194
    Points
    3,969
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 0

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Where were you when this was signed?

    The length doesn't matter, the buyout does. A 5 year contract with no buyout is worse than a 10 year contract with a small buyout. Rhoads's buyout is $750,000 x the number of years left on the contract. At absolute worst, in the unlikely scenario where he is terminated next year, he would be owed $5.25 million, a number that we could manage if necessary.

    So sleep easy tonight.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 239,763, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,216
    Points
    239,763
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 671
    Given: 473

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    The question for a sane AD would be, could CPR do better? I don't think his phone has ever been ringing with job inquiries, but maybe I'm wrong.
    What rock have you been living under? You're wrong.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 180,503, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,927
    Points
    180,503
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 806

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Because Pollard didn't have a crystal ball to foresee all of these injuries?

    Well, that, and the fact that DB's can't make interceptions?

    You negative guys are getting a little over the top here. When CPR was signed to that extension, everyone rejoiced to have him locked up.




    Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

    Who knew?


  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 10,087, Level: 30
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    RunDMCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    12 Grimmauld Place
    Posts
    690
    Points
    10,087
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 22

    Re: What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I'd love to hear about these other job offers at BCS schools. Since you brought it up, I'm sure you'll have the details.
    Me too. Other schools such as Pitt and Wisconsin calling to see if he was interested does not equate to being offered a job.

    Also, as I posted in another thread, his buyout is $750,000/year.


    NEITHER CAN LIVE WHILE THE OTHER SURVIVES

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM